Broken Hornby schools class

I recently bought a Hornby schools class on ebay. When i was testing it one of the connecting rods jammes, and the motor carried on going. This damaged the gear which is attached to the wheelset (the one which drives the loco). The gear is slightly loose and slides from side to side on the axle slightly now. This means that the loco just makes a grinding noise and the wheels done move. Also you can now roll it along and the wheels are free rolling. Whenever i slot ithe gear back into place it wont stay in place. What should I do?

• RMweb Gold

Did the seller say it was in working order? If he did, then ask for a full refund based on the fact that it's not as described.

Here are some photos of the wheels. Sorry about the quality,these were taken on my old ipad. I hope this shows how the wheels wont sit flat.

Edit:i have just noticed that there is a little slightly yellow thing under/on the wheels bearing. Is that meant to be there? In the picture it is the small yellow square at the back of the picture.

post-17014-0-88163900-1399272450_thumb.jpg

post-17014-0-57722700-1399272463_thumb.jpg

post-17014-0-64264700-1399274075_thumb.jpg

well the wheel went back into place, and as soon as it meshed with the other gear, the gear broke again, and did this several times. after spending 4/5 hours trying to fis one problem only for the original problem to spring up again, i have to decided to give up in the loco, and try and source a replacement wheelset, underframe of entire loco. thanks for the help anyway.

Hornby should have the wheel set in stock. They sent me one free of charge when mine, on its second circuit of the layout promptly threw a crank pin, jammed the rods and sheared off a rod end. The sent me cylinders, wheels, and a full set of valve gear plus a handful of crankpins. Get in touch with them and see if they can help. If you get a negative response then let me know and I'll attempt to dig them out for you. (They're most likely buried deep in a storage box somewhere) 

Hornby should have the wheel set in stock. They sent me one free of charge when mine, on its second circuit of the layout promptly threw a crank pin, jammed the rods and sheared off a rod end. The sent me cylinders, wheels, and a full set of valve gear plus a handful of crankpins. Get in touch with them and see if they can help. If you get a negative response then let me know and I'll attempt to dig them out for you. (They're most likely buried deep in a storage box somewhere) 

Hi cheesemiester .

Have a look at the Hornby Service Sheets .

http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/service-sheets/Hornby-service-sheets-301-351/?page=3

file:///C:/Users/Frank/Downloads/hss-330c-schools-class-locomotive-471(1)%20(1).pdf

Driving wheel sets and gear axles are available.

But, I agree with RFS.... If it were me, ...I'd return it to the seller.

Either way,....returning, repairing yourself, or via Hornby, local dealer repair....it's hassle / grief,....I do sympathise.

All the best.

It sort of shows to me why quite a few of these new generation "Schools" have ended up as eBay wrecks (he said, having picked up the bodies of four in varying states of wreckage!) - they are a good product, but are as delicate as a kit-built engine - put them in the wrong hands and it's "goodnight Vienna".

It sort of shows to me why quite a few of these new generation "Schools" have ended up as eBay wrecks (he said, having picked up the bodies of four in varying states of wreckage!) - they are a good product, but are as delicate as a kit-built engine - put them in the wrong hands and it's "goodnight Vienna".

I agree - this is probably one of the most delicate RTR locos I have ever worked on. Many very fine deatails and some extremely thin mazak footplate sections... The Canada Post did a number on one of ours which I now use for spares. I probably have the wheelsets and gears if you cannot find one locally, but unfortunately the postage will not be cheap from Canada.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

some extremely thin mazak footplate sections.

thanks everyone for the help. ill try getting spares from Hornby. as if nothing else could go wrong, yesterday the footplate came loose on the left hand side and is not going back into place. the problem is that i cant return it to the seller as i have fiddled with it and i dont think it had the broken gear when it arrived, ar the connecting rods jammed and then the gear came loose because of the strain it was under. 

this has got to be the most delicate loco i own. as soon as you think you have fixed one problem, another springs up. its almost like it is cursed or something! :devil:

Hornby's Chinese business model means that they will not supply bodies or parts of bodies, and even the core chassis blocks are unavailable. For these bits, it's eBay, friends, friends of friends, or nowt.

Only the consumables, some detail bits, wheels, valve gear and tender footplate/outer frames can be bought separately.

This helps Hornby to cut down / save money on stocking spares. It's quite a change from their old Margate days when *everything* was available as a spare.

It might be worthwhile giving Peter's Spares a call, quoting your model's 'R' number.

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x8537-schools-class-440-loco-driving-wheel-set.ir?cName=spares-Hornby-spares-all

The 'X' number of this wheel-set doesn't tie in with the latest Hornby service sheets, including the Railroad version, although it does appear to be that of a loco drive version, i.e. fitted with traction tyres. The brass (yellow) bearings can be seen.  I can't make out the gear from the photo, but I'm guessing it should be there. 

All the best.

My main concern with buying a spare wheelset is that im not sure if i will be able to remove the old one and fit the spare one without damaging anything.

In this case then, I would suggest that you seek out your nearest Hornby agent* to wave his magic screwdriver over the poorly patient. 

*You don't state your location, so I'm assuming you're a UK resident ?.

My main concern with buying a spare wheelset is that im not sure if i will be able to remove the old one and fit the spare one without damaging anything.

Technically speaking, it's already sustained some damage so I don't think you've got anything to lose.....

• 3 months later...

Again I know this is an old thread, but I wonder how you got on. It depends which years model you have, according to service sheet 330 alone there are half a dozen different model numbers some use the same parts but others have different part numbers so be careful and research it well before parting with money. I bought  part of a schools chassis cheap on Ebay thinking I could obtain the spares to build a complete model, no way José! I now have 75% of the parts and have ground to a halt on it.

With regard to the jammed valve gear if it's the left hand side then they seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I found East Kent Models had a very good stock of Hornby parts;again check it out before buying.

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, hard won experience.

Archived