lima re motor

i have tried to get hold of a model torque motor to re do a Lima 47 but it seems the business has closed down (Inter city models used to supply them) has anyone got any info on an alternative system? i know there is someone selling motors on e bay but not sure of the quality,also the Hornby railroad 47 looks as if it has the same pancake motor fitted as the Lima anybody done something different ?..... 

There have been a few threads on RMWeb about Lima remotoring.  You might be interested in this thread (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78418-susmotor-lima-remotoring/).  I have remotored a few LIma pancakes with an equivalent to the Modeltorque and can post a photo showing how I get the new motor centrally located and fixed in the original Lima motor frame if you are interested?  I also have a few of the motors in my spares drawer at home - all harvested from CD drives.  If you want a complete remotoring kit, then I think you can still get them at http://www.diesel-trains.co.uk/shop.html.  I have bought any motors from them myself, so am unable to comment on how they install and run.  If you want a motor to try yourself, please PM me.  Simon.

All the model torque motors were was a CD tray motor with mounting cradle and gear attached with a hefty profit margin slapped on top. The other ones suggested are just as good

Vi Trains also have / had a Lima 47 conversion - a complete chassis rather than just a replacement motor...

Also, the Hornby 47 comes in two flavours - The original Ringfield motored chassis, but also the 'Limby' type.

These use the old Lima body moulds, and a Lima compatable chassis with bogie mounted motor.

The blue 'Dionysus' and RES livery 47's are two such 'Limby' examples

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I was talking to Paul Wade today about Lima motors and we both cannot recall having to do major work on them. Which makes me think why do people need to remotor Lima locos? All that is needed is wheel and track cleaning and a good DC controller, no problem.

• Like 1

Yes I admit some Lima motors just need a clean and an oil but mine needs a power unit change either that or I put some wings on it and call it Tornado (as in the aircraft)) I am loathe to get rid of it as its a bit of a "pet"...hence the re-motoring looks like vi trains /Hornby might be the way to go!

All the model torque motors were was a CD tray motor with mounting cradle and gear attached with a hefty profit margin slapped on top. The other ones suggested are just as good

Correct!  All mine have come from CD tray motors.

Hi All

I was talking to Paul Wade today about Lima motors and we both cannot recall having to do major work on them. Which makes me think why do people need to remotor Lima locos? All that is needed is wheel and track cleaning and a good DC controller, no problem.

My experience, using a variety of good DC controllers, is that the slow speed control of Lima motors isn't particularly good.  I have definitely improved this aspect with the CD motors.  In other respects, Lima motors pull well and are very reliable.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Simon thanks for the reply I will contact the above shop, just a bit wary as its not a model torque one, as I have heard good reports about the model torque makes ...

Wish all you like, but the Model Torque ones are not available anymore, as the maker is no longer with us. He died around 3 years ago, I believe.

The trick is to find a narrow CD tray motor, the wide ones are ok for BoBo types and probably for the 08, 4575 and 94XX as well but they foul the unpowered wheels of the 37/47 chassis.

The white scalextric pinions fit and the motor jut needs a strap to hold it in place.  You will need a resistor as I run these on 3 volts  2X AA cells in the garden  

Pics of 2 of my garden 37s below showing motor straps  Note one motor has been filed away for clearance for the centre wheel.

The Lima motor is pretty awful, I burned out several commutators which are just discs of PCB.and the brush springs collapse and they are pretty uncontrollable compared to Bachmann etc.7774992954f8c94898cf7d0b0c68823957e006f27529575060ab6d2d6ddee82e8592047123ea959d

• RMweb Premium

The Lima motor is pretty awful, I burned out several commutators which are just discs of PCB.and the brush springs collapse and they are pretty uncontrollable compared to Bachmann etc.

How did you manage to kill Lima motors, I've never managed it! I agree not really manageable, unless you put 2 power bogies in, then wire in series. But Bachmann a much better option.

Slogging up about 30 yards of 1 in 14 gradients with 6 coaches at a scale 30 mph is probably the cause but I have lots of burned commutators and collapsed brush springs in my scrap box

The only lima motor I killed was my first, a lima Deltic. It was the first loco I saved up my pocket money for and bought new in 1979. That had commutator problems, although in this case it was due to extreme wear due to being my favourite high speed express loco. It took about ten years to achieve, the comutator had worn most at the gaps, spreading until it was effectively turning in to a mechanical PWM and eventually it just ran too slowly to be worthy of express use, so I suppose even then it was not completely dead!

• 2 months later...

On the subject of the CD player motors, can anyone recall their maker and/or part numbers? Would love to remotor one or 2 of my Lima 47s to bring them up modernish standards. Won't say whether Bachmann or Heljan are better, both have their good and bad points. Any help would be great.

Regards,

Stephen.

There are quite a variety of CD motors, so I have photo'd some of mine.  I haven't actually tried to compare them at all, but I do run them to see that they do run smoothly before I install them into a loco.  Sometimes a tiny drop of oil is required where the shaft enters the 'can'.

post-9029-0-58275500-1407091493_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How did you manage to kill Lima motors, I've never managed it! I agree not really manageable, unless you put 2 power bogies in, then wire in series. But Bachmann a much better option.

Is it possible to install two motorised bogies in a locomotive safely?  Or is a CD drive motor powerful enough to haul eight coaches and a weighted power car on a level incline if you don't need to reach top speed quickly?

Is it possible to install two motorised bogies in a locomotive safely?  Or is a CD drive motor powerful enough to haul eight coaches and a weighted power car on a level incline if you don't need to reach top speed quickly?

I have been considering putting two CD motors into a single loco, but havent tried it yet.  When I have put a single one into a Lima Class 26 chassis, and replaced the steel weight with >200 grams of lead, it easily pulls a seven coach rake, and guess that eight coaches wouldnt be a problem.  I would note that the coaches are relatively new Bachmann ones, and are very free running compared to my old Triang ones.  I might try a rake of those sometime which would be a much greater challenge than the Bachmann ones.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For those looking for motor kits I obtained the one for my 94XX from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-00-Class-08-09-31-37-40-47-52-59-60-66-92-Steam-Quiet-Motor-Replacement-Kit/113338145593?hash=item1a637adb39:g:KaAAAOSw4DJaZ5XG:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true and I have produced a 3d printed mounting ring for my 94XX which takes the fiddly bit out of trying to mount the motor centrally. THis is available at https://www.shapeways.com/product/MZ9XRHSGD/motor-mounting-ring-lima?optionId=70144903

Motor Mount LIMA

I am a cheapskate. I used a 10mm long slice of cardboard tube for my cd motor mount, just glued in place. The tubes are about 30cm long, ex Lidl grocery counter, that their plastic bags come on. Also the right diameter for some round speaker enclosures.

Rob

I am a cheapskate. I used a 10mm long slice of cardboard tube for my cd motor mount, just glued in place. The tubes are about 30cm long, ex Lidl grocery counter, that their plastic bags come on. Also the right diameter for some round speaker enclosures.

Rob

You're not a cheapskate.  I don't actually use anything to mount the motor except a bit of plastic across the Lima Fixing screws with a hole to take the bulge in the back of the CD motor/

see post # 11

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those looking for motor kits I obtained the one for my 94XX from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-00-Class-08-09-31-37-40-47-52-59-60-66-92-Steam-Quiet-Motor-Replacement-Kit/113338145593?hash=item1a637adb39:g:KaAAAOSw4DJaZ5XG:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true and I have produced a 3d printed mounting ring for my 94XX which takes the fiddly bit out of trying to mount the motor centrally. THis is available at https://www.shapeways.com/product/MZ9XRHSGD/motor-mounting-ring-lima?optionId=70144903

I recently used one of these to remotor a 94xx with the slightly slimmer than normal motor, worked like a charm!