BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

I like the first two photos - a lot.

The third, although colour coded, I'd be worried about wires 'catching' when the boards are being 'man-handled' during moves to and from exhibitions.

Good work all the same.

Kev.

I like the first two photos - a lot.

The third, although colour coded, I'd be worried about wires 'catching' when the boards are being 'man-handled' during moves to and from exhibitions.

Hello Kev

I'm very happy with the ballasting

The weathering?   It's by TMC ................. it was a test ............. not too sure about it ............... the wheels are far too weathered .... even heavily weathered locos had reasonably clean wheels .... this is a close up of one of the photos I sent ... wheels dirty but clearly red

post-4476-0-40164200-1454624122_thumb.jpg

Wiring? ....... that was a very early photo of that cross-baseboard link ..... will post updated ones tomorrow ..... I think this first photo gives the wrong impression.

Thanks for your continued interest in my project

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Hi Teamyakima,

I think you are right regarding the red wheels.

Here's some photos I took 17 YEARS(!!!) ago now!

In these next 4 shots a light engine class SY 2-8-2 comes towards me in real Mancunian Manchurian weather.

The red wheels are not apparent in the first three (normal viewing distances at an exhibition?) but is visible close to in the last shot.

(I admit that the wheels would be, obviously, more visible in side on views though!)

post-12815-0-31078500-1454697311_thumb.png

There is plenty of detail to use here but it was run down as the lot was to shut within the year.

These curves actually remind me of your track plan!

post-12815-0-55805900-1454697350_thumb.png

post-12815-0-11735300-1454697392_thumb.png

(Ignore the really poor scanning problems - lines, steps, colours...)

post-12815-0-21936300-1454697428.png

Again, apologies for the poor images but I had to work during the day and in the evening it was dull, wet and miserable but I had the biggest smile on my face as I happily snapped away at anything willing to steam towards me!   :) :)

Falling asleep to a steam engine shunting in the yard is a memory I will never forget!

So, you can see why have a "continued interest" in your efforts.

Kev.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Hi Teamyakima,

I think you are right regarding the red wheels.

Here's some photos I took 17 YEARS(!!!) ago now!

In these next 4 shots a light engine class SY 2-8-2 comes towards me in real Mancunian Manchurian weather.

The red wheels are not apparent in the first three (normal viewing distances at an exhibition?) but is visible close to in the last shot.

(I admit that the wheels would be, obviously, more visible in side on views though!)

attachicon.gifApproaching1.png

There is plenty of detail to use here but it was run down as the lot was to shut within the year.

These curves actually remind me of your track plan!

attachicon.gifApproaching2.png

attachicon.gifApproaching3.png

(Ignore the really poor scanning problems - lines, steps, colours...)

attachicon.gifApproaching4.png

Again, apologies for the poor images but I had to work during the day and in the evening it was dull, wet and miserable but I had the biggest smile on my face as I happily snapped away at anything willing to steam towards me!   :) :)

Falling asleep to a steam engine shunting in the yard is a memory I will never forget!

So, you can see why have a "continued interest" in your efforts.

Kev.

Where was that Kev?

• RMweb Gold

^

Sorry, I should have said.

It's JinHua, in ZheJiang province, in around 1998 (+/-1 year!).

Not far from HangZhou, (4 hours by a lunatic driver before the toll roads were built though), just a bit further inland from ShangHai.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

^

Sorry, I should have said.

It's JinHua, in ZheJiang province, in around 1998 (+/-1 year!).

Not far from HangZhou, (4 hours by a lunatic driver before the toll roads were built though), just a bit further inland from ShangHai.

Kev.

Thanks Kev. By the time I started visiting China (Changchun, Jilin province, way up North) regularly in 2007 steam had gone apart from the coal lines.

Have been wiring recently - not very photogenic!

Also have been working on that weathered JS .... only on one side as all my locos will face the same way I simply haven't go the time to work on the side that the public won't see.

So here is the side the public won't see ....as professionally weathered .... not a criticism of the person who weathered it , just that I think the wheels are too heavily weathered....

post-4476-0-58546200-1455187644_thumb.jpg

And here is the side I've worked on....

post-4476-0-04232300-1455187660_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ........... this is a 'state of the nation' photo as of March 1st ........ these are scenic boards 3 & 4 (of 4) and everything you can see is fully wired and operational including uncoupling magnets and trains have travelled from one board to the other. There is a very small amount of tidying up to do with the wiring underneath board #4 and some ballasting to do on board #3 but otherwise I can move on to board # 2 which I will today.

The two parallel tracks through the middle with a DF4B diesel are the two China Rail main line tracks.

The track that curves into the scene is the regional semi-autonomous  bi-directional line

The track that curves and climbs off scene is the industrial line with some coal gondolas parked in the loops.

post-4476-0-49453200-1456905370_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Weathering .......... disappointed with the red wheel centres (too heavily weathered )

attachicon.gifDSC_0031 (2).JPG

Hi Paul,

What about lightly dry brushing the wheel faces with a brighter red?

On your prototype photos there is a lot of grime between the spokes but the surface of the wheels have been cleaned. TMC seems to be good at applying dirt, but not good at removing it.

If the paint was still fresh you could possible remove it with a bit of thinners.

Or a quick rub with some t-cut to get through the grime and back to the original Bachmann red?

The layout looks impressive. It will be good to see how it develops.

Yours

Luke 

Hi Paul,

What about lightly dry brushing the wheel faces with a brighter red?

On your prototype photos there is a lot of grime between the spokes but the surface of the wheels have been cleaned. TMC seems to be good at applying dirt, but not good at removing it.

If the paint was still fresh you could possible remove it with a bit of thinners.

Or a quick rub with some t-cut to get through the grime and back to the original Bachmann red?

The layout looks impressive. It will be good to see how it develops.

Yours

Luke 

Hello Luke

Yes, I have removed a lot of the grime on the wheel centres as per post # 309 but have now also taken much of the grime off the tender wheel rims .............. will post photos when I get home

TMC's method would work well with standard black spoked wheels (eg British) but these red wheel centres combined with white wheel rims are a problem for them using their techniques.

I used standard 'turps' and a cotton bud to get the grime off but BEWARE when I rubbed too hard the red paint came off as well and the basic molded wheel centre is white :-((

Getting this used but cleaned look is quite tricky... even heavily weathered locos have relatively clean wheels and that can look odd on a model ..... it might be correct but to the casual observer, who doesn't know much about Chinese steam, it can look wrong

• RMweb Gold

I do have to say you were right regarding the 'clean wheels'.

Your spot on with the hand rails too.

Here's one I took (in light rain) around 1999 in JinHua.

It was being prepared by a crew of five!

post-12815-0-42036600-1458766964_thumb.png

Here is 8025 a JS "B" loco built in the 80s.

JS stands for JianShe or "Construction".

(8026 was also on shed, that day, along with several her sisters.)

Kev.

I think I might have to model JinHua Shed now! - It's only three roads and a three run round loops.

Eminently model-able!

• Like 1

Looks good Paul. How is the track ballasting going on?

Hi Al

I'm progressing several things at the same time .... wiring, ballasting and working on stock. Over the weekend I found two sections of damaged track ... PECO code 83 is very fragile! Repaired the track today and experimented with some ballasting in the yard area - will post a photo tomorrow.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

So am I !

Joking apart, I have been concentrating on getting the wiring done. I have my first test 'showing' at the CMRA Modellers Day on July 23rd and it HAS to be working in order to get an invite to the CMRA show in January... so wiring/testing is the priority for the moment. But will post some photos ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a photo of a QJ tender taken from above showing the coal load quite low?

I have two QJs with the same running number ... one has a full coal load (leaving town) and the other will have a low coal load (returning to town). So I need some photos to show how the coal load collapses during a long trip.