BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Steve

Thanks for your input but as far as I know the mechnical stokers were dropped in favour of having two fireman asit was more efficient than the mechanical option - that's what I was told.

Paul,

Well, you  learn something every day -  rather them than me though.  Do you know if they actually remove the equipment, or just stop using it?  The firebox still had a conventional firedoor of course, despite the mechanical stoker fit.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

Many thanks for that link - no I didn't know that site.

I have now successfully signed up to join.

The only problem with the EXCELLENT photos on that site is that they have been taken/posted to be artistic .... whilst I have enjoyed looking at them I have not found any what I would call technical photos eg close up photos of loco details that would help someone building or modifying a loco ... so my search goes on

Thanks agin for an interesting and useful link .... some photos bring back great memories !

Did you go into the contributors' albums? I haven't been very far into them but 'Tarboat' has over 700 photos in his Chinese Railways album and there are more including some nice infrastructure examples in his 'China' album. The quality is generally very good and you can enlarge photos - if you go to 'Actions' over on the right you can 'view all sizes'. Tarboat's generally only go up to 1024 px, but others may enlarge further. Try this one -  it has some nice details - but may be not the ones you need! http://www.ipernity.com/doc/302581/21130199/in/album/358661

Later - I hadn't realized that Tarboat is virtually the only contributor - with nine from Loose Grip. 

Has it occurred to you that if you can't see the inside of a fairly empty tender no-one else can? So use your best judgement and no-one can argue with you. Perhaps a snug fitting liner, finishing where the coal does, could allow you to take out your coal, if & when someone does come up with the photo you need.

Edited by phil_sutters

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I've been doing is 'improving' RTR coal loads in my coal cars. Three different grades of coal in three different trains

Have 'improved' about 70+ coal loads .... will be helping Al with his brilliant WW2 DR 'N' gauge layout  'Remagen' at the Warley show  this weekend and will take some Chinese HO to run on the MRC test track if I get the chance.

If you visit Warley exhibition (NEC) come and say 'hello' ...............

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya have you any of the ###### Fen ND2s in your collection?

The simple answer is 'no' .............. I used to have one but sold it.

The prototype ND2s were pretty early - approx 300 locos in the 1970s/80s and by 2004/5 they were pretty rare as far as I know. 

They were also very limited in geographical spread (Guangzhou and Shanghai) and pretty atypical of China Rail and as a result I've never seen one. I am trying, as far as possible, to represent what I've seen in the flesh.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 3 weeks later...

One important reason that I pulled out of the 2017 CMRA exhibition is that I realised that I could improve on what I had already achieved and yet with an exhibition pending I would not have time to go back and upgrade things I had already 'signed off'.

So here is an example..............

I had studied photos of prototype Chinese shops and realised that my existing efforts were not good enough.

1. Real Chinese shop signs varied in depth quite a bit whearas I had adapted mine to all fit the baconies of the flats - mine were too unifiorm

2. I had kept the 'dividers' between balconies whereas I think it looks better removing the 'dividers' and allowing the signs to expand accordingly

3. I think my choice of signs and their positioning relative to each other was poor - by that I mean that there would be areas of predominately bluse signs and areas of predominately red signs amnd I needed to move them around to make things more random.

These two photos show a simple before and after illustrating point # 2

With the dividers at each end the sign is restricted

post-4476-0-72328500-1482683145_thumb.jpg

With the dividers removed the sign can expand

post-4476-0-70212600-1482683162_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

About time you gave us an update, Paul. I've been wondering what you've been doing since the pressure came off.

The new signs look good. A lot clearer then the old ones.

Have you sorted out the find for yard boards yet? As I'm looking forward to see these mic boards develop.

Al.

About time you gave us an update, Paul. I've been wondering what you've been doing since the pressure came off.

I've also been doing other odd bits and pieces - all time consuming!

Like repairing the photographer who appears and disappears at the window to photograph the steam trains. I made him originally ages ago but after the building got handled roughly he fell off his 'platform' - if I had fixed the building on the layout permanently it would have beeen VERY difficult to repair him. So have taken the opportunity to make sure he doesn't fall off again! Thanks to hot glue he won't fall off again!

post-4476-0-39961400-1482709159_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

This re-working of the signs is VERY time consuming - and interesting at the same time.

These are before and after - both sets of signs are printed from exactly the same digital images, on the same quality/make of paper, just different printers.

Before, with the balcony extensions in place ...

post-4476-0-88454500-1482795459_thumb.jpg

After with the bacony extensions cut/filed back ...

post-4476-0-59714900-1482795471_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Al.

Well Al, the truth is that there has been a lot of modelling effort going on .... with not much to show for it.

Firstly I spent 30 mins this morning 'improving/replacing' the blue sign after I spent 60 mins yesterday 'improving/replacing' the original version - I hope you can tell the difference!

post-4476-0-79628800-1482888288_thumb.jpg

One problem I had when starting these signs was choosing a pleasing range of colours. By that I mean getting a nice blend , a nice variety. Originally I found that I had too many blue signs together or too many red ones.

Today ( 6 hours ) I have upgraded/improved a second block ...

post-4476-0-56603800-1482888304_thumb.jpg

Frightening .. absolutely frightening the time this is taking ...... 4 more blocks to do and then there are more interiors to do!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

Well Al, the truth is that there has been a lot of modelling effort going on .... with not much to show for it.

Yesterday was another day of lots of effort but little progress....

First I had three diesels with body damage ..... all broken/missing roof horns ..... as they come these Bachmann locos are very fragile in this area. By litterally  canabalising another loco (not wanted on the layout) I managed to repair the three diesels. This DF4DK had 2 broken air horns ....... one repaired and one taken from a showcase DF4B....

post-4476-0-47540200-1483018597_thumb.jpg

Then I spent the rest of the day upgrading 23 Bachmann coal cars to Kadee couplings ( short # 143) . I had hoped this would result in closer coupling but although the coupler head is smaller the shank is slightly longer which results in the same distance between cars :O However the Kadees are metal and this now removes the risk of couplers breaking with my long, heavy trains.

post-4476-0-78335200-1483018617_thumb.jpg

But this has revealed other problems...... these trucks are held in place by a pin (not a screw) .... in the early days (before I learned better) I removed the trucks when weathering these cars but pulling the trucks off usually damages the pin and so when I've put the trucks back eventually the trucks fall off. This means I have to drill out the body and refit the truck with a metal bolt - all time consuming!

post-4476-0-03681400-1483018639_thumb.jpg

And so another day goes by !

• Like 1

Good progress today working on the tenements including adding a small porch over the entrances

post-4476-0-30232300-1483316867_thumb.jpg

And adding more signage ... this DVD/TV shop is in Fuxin .... pity there is a shaddow going across from an overhead wire

post-4476-0-10314200-1483316858_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If your looking for a nice colourful shop front then here is one I took in XiAn in 2013...

post-12815-0-07808300-1483355755_thumb.jpg

Kev.

(Very nice work by the way :) )

Over the holidays ( back to work today!! ) I have been returning to work on the tenements which I gave up working on nearly a year ago.

I nearly forgot about this 'issue' - the building components I have used for the ground floor wall units are designed (by Piko) to actually have a balcony. So there is a slot into which the balcony side member fits. This leaves a nasty slot/hle on the model ....

post-4476-0-00403100-1483357012_thumb.jpg

So I found some balcony sides in my spares box and cut off the lug

post-4476-0-03969100-1483357018_thumb.jpg

I then filed these lugs to fit flush.

post-4476-0-23069600-1483357030_thumb.jpg

I then weathered the joints, fitted the porch over the doorway and fitted a sign to the cafe....

post-4476-0-30497200-1483357460_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

If your looking for a nice colourful shop front then here is one I took in XiAn in 2013...

attachicon.gifIMG-20130710-01696a.jpg

Kev.

(Very nice work by the way :) )

Hello Kev

Thanks for this suggestion ..... it's too posh for the old tenements I'm working on this week, but I do have some posh shops to be worked on later and so I'll look into this .......

But I think the issue will be that the sign has a raised logo and writing and it was taken quite 'side on' so it may look a little odd once it's been 'worked on'.

I am always looking for shops to copy ..... the next batch of shops are more upmarket as the are closer to the tourist hotel ... so a jewellers or a posh clothes shop ... or a handbag shop are more the thing I'll be looking for next.

Paul

For those of you who haven't read the whole thread recently, here is another reason why things take so long......

post-4476-0-93991200-1483378620_thumb.jpg

I have used dozens of Bachmann air conditioning units on the tenements ....... and I have filed them to try to make them look 'different' ....

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

Then I spent the rest of the day upgrading 23 Bachmann coal cars to Kadee couplings ( short # 143) . I had hoped this would result in closer coupling but although the coupler head is smaller the shank is slightly longer which results in the same distance between cars :O However the Kadees are metal and this now removes the risk of couplers breaking with my long, heavy trains.

attachicon.gifDSC_0107.JPG

The main disadvantage with the plastic couplings I found were the plastic springs which bend if left compressed in a storage box or even on the layout. Kadees are just better all round ;)

• RMweb Gold

Can you try them out before you buy?

Are you referring to ######?

Kev.

:)

Edit - I wrote m.e.l.o.n.s.

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1