Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

7 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Just need the Sybic one now. I think I’ll also renumber and tweak the livery on my RFD one (to 90022 I think) and get it the plates to make the set of 4 to fit in with the end of my modelling period. 

Hornby knocked the SNCF one out as R2358 as I’m sure you’re aware but I’m not keen enough to assemble the collection to get one, even to lurk at the back of a depot. If Kernow is selling the German example at 30% off, I suspect that we shan’t see either of the other two liveries produced by Bachmann. A bit of a shame because the Bachmann 90 is a stonking model. If ever you do tweak the livery to produce 90022, I’d love to see a picture.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Hornby knocked the SNCF one out as R2358 as I’m sure you’re aware but I’m not keen enough to assemble the collection to get one, even to lurk at the back of a depot. If Kernow is selling the German example at 30% off, I suspect that we shan’t see either of the other two liveries produced by Bachmann. A bit of a shame because the Bachmann 90 is a stonking model. If ever you do tweak the livery to produce 90022, I’d love to see a picture.

Superficially it looks like the corner windscreen pillars need to be black as opposed to yellow, though I’ll scrutinise more photos when I get around to doing it. 

The Hornby model looks a bit off in comparison to the Bachmann one, though I do have a PH designs kit somewhere if I every fancy upgrading one.

47 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Just need the Sybic one now. I think I’ll also renumber and tweak the livery on my RFD one (to 90022 I think) and get it the plates to make the set of 4 to fit in with the end of my modelling period. 

I also have a strange liking for that rather bizarre livery variation. I don't want to try my hand with a Bachmann one because I have not used my airbrush anywhere near enough to be confident enough, so I was thinking of detailing & re-spraying one of my Hornby ones. If I did that, Bachmann would probably announce theirs the next quarter 🤣

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The SNCF one is definitely my favourite of those liveries and I'd much rather have seen that than the DB and Belgian ones

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Sybic one you say? It appears I didn’t take a picture after it got the etched bits 😂

IMG_7481.jpeg

Edited by cairnsroadworks
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

15 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Would a Bachmann Railfreight Grey be a good base model for a respray?

Any model is a good base, as long as the physical details are correct

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Sybic one you say? It appears I didn’t take a picture after it got the etched bits 😂

IMG_7481.jpeg

I’ve just gotta do one after looking at that! I may just get a second DB style one if I can sell a kidney or other body part and do it. That looks smashing!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I also have a strange liking for that rather bizarre livery variation. I don't want to try my hand with a Bachmann one because I have not used my airbrush anywhere near enough to be confident enough, so I was thinking of detailing & re-spraying one of my Hornby ones. If I did that, Bachmann would probably announce theirs the next quarter 🤣

One of the advantages of modelling Banger Blue livery is that it’s quite a simple one so good to practise airbrushing techniques on. It’s also a good livery to work out how to mask properly before moving on to more complex liveries.

Respraying is one of my favourite parts of the hobby. It’s great (and a relief) peeling off the masking tape and there’s a nice sharp and straight join, but any errors can still be fixed if need be.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

IMG_7481.jpeg

Is that a barbie 90 hiding there? Cor would I love Bachmann to bring one out in that livery! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, letterspider said:

i meant with regards to the minimum amount of spraying...but I see the grey bands are completely different

My theory is to ideally strip the body first after removing the roof detail and glazing. Then spray the yellow end first, then the orange, the light grey next and then the dark grey. Doing in in this order means that it is fairly easy to use differing widths of masking  tape and follow the lines of the cab front/cantrail. That’s how to do it in my mind’s eye anyway!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/03/2024 at 10:38, cairnsroadworks said:

IMG_7481.jpeg

That looks magnificent!! Really well done!!

7 hours ago, 97406 said:

My theory is to ideally strip the body first after removing the roof detail and glazing. Then spray the yellow end first, then the orange, the light grey next and then the dark grey. Doing in in this order means that it is fairly easy to use differing widths of masking  tape and follow the lines of the cab front/cantrail. That’s how to do it in my mind’s eye anyway!

That's no easy job...

10 hours ago, 97406 said:

Some good prices on TMC for 90s at mo if you’re looking for a model to respray… £137 for several variants

• Like 2

It's a great model at that price (I have 2) and of course 2nd hand market exists too. However any wishful thinking of future liveries like this SNCF one from Bachmann....well I doubt we will see any new Class 90 from them of any sort if they would be RRP £250 DCC ready....? Respray would be the cheaper option.