OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

After a night's fretful sleep expecting to wake up to find this announcement and thread had been but a whistful dream, I still need 'pinching', but its still here. Huzzah!

At last a genuine workhorse from the cradle of the railways. Early BR crest for me please.

I've also got the blessing of my better half, who for once didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned the prospective price and timescale. (Best to record that here so she can't have a change of heart at a later date.)

Thanks Dave and every best wish for the success of this endeavour.

Dancing in the streets of Brandon ? I doubt it, but certainly a glass or several to be raised. Cheers!

Best Regards,

John

This is of no use to me whatsoever!  Why would I want to start yet another regional area layout?  I'd have to be completely mad!

There again it does look handsome..........so perhaps just one..............

but then it might get lonely..............so perhaps two.........................

Dammit Dave!  You've done it again!      :locomotive: 

Just thinking about the challenges of the Q6 some of the variations are boiler fittings including different smoke box doors! One variable that may not have been identified is the d shaped or oval cut outs to the tender chassis. Building the Bradwell kit you certainly learn a lot about the variable nature of steam locomotives. No doubt these add to the challenge for DJmodels to produce these tough long lived loco's.

• RMweb Gold

The Q6 has no relevance to my modelling interests, but the huge presence the prototype commands has made me take a closer look as I've developed a soft spot for large British steam freight engines (Crosti 9F, 9F, WD, SDJR 2-8-0, O1, 72XX etc), which look the business on my layout.

It is a brave choice Dave, good luck and if it all works out well will be my first DJM model.

Neil

Is that one of the York style ex-ECJS conversions for WWI casualty transport that you are looking for?

In all seriousness, what this model does rather suggest as accompaniment is a RTR model of the standard NER/LNER 20T wooden hopper, and a new model of the 20/21T family of steel hoppers that were phased in as replacements in LNER and BR operation.

I don't share Simon's caution about DJ Models as although no samples of the DJ range are to hand, Dave Jones has delivered on the business ethos he announced at the beginning, by maintaining a timeline of the products starting with their announcement and through production stages. He has updated us with the R&D on the previously announced 5 models in 3 gauges and we know that currently, tooling is being cut on 3 'N' gauge (J94; Class 17 and Class 23) and 1 'OO' gauge (J94) models and we should start to see these soon. He has not been satisfied with the quality of Chinese made circuit boards, probably from his experiences with Dapol and has decided to have boards designed in the UK and made in Japan, to improve reliability. I don't know of any other mainstream model maker that has taken that step. As has already been said, we have seen his work to EP stage with the Kernow Class O2, where in a few short months of Dave taking over the project, we were seeing the complex tooling that had been cut for all the variants and last month we saw the first EP sample and in a matter of a couple of weeks, the first running detailed sample.

I have never met Dave, but from his interactions with members of this forum, both with Dapol and DJ Models, I judge him to be a person of great integrity and with a desire to deliver to satisfy the customer. To my mind he has shown a history of model making to warrant our belief in him.

I wonder if Simon Kohler and Dave could make a team together. Just how formidable would that be?

Q6 on the GER main line? I don't think so. Shame!!!!!!

Phil

I presume (being idle and not looking on t'interweb thingy) that the 'NER as preserved' will not therefore be as originally run.  Does anyone know if the LNER version(s) are suitable for 'backdating' to original? i.e. tender versions, etc.?

I presume (being idle and not looking on t'interweb thingy) that the 'NER as preserved' will not therefore be as originally run.  Does anyone know if the LNER version(s) are suitable for 'backdating' to original? i.e. tender versions, etc.?

As I mentioned earlier, one area it will depend on is the smokebox door. The door on the preserved example is the 1940 onwards type, it's a lot more bulbous in shape. A number of locos were updated to this type of door, D20, D49 and B16 and Q7.

For a proper pre war Q6 you will need the flatter type door which they were built with.

As I mentioned earlier, one area it will depend on is the smokebox door. The door on the preserved example is the 1940 onwards type, it's a lot more bulbous in shape. A number of locos were updated to this type of door, D20, D49 and B16 and Q7.

For a proper pre war Q6 you will need the flatter type door which they were built with.

It will also need a handle and wheel that were fitted when built and the dome may need re positioning and made taller. It depends what is fitted when the model is made and if the variations are accounted for.

Thanks  2750 & Paul.  Re-reading Dave's original post some later issues would appear to be with tender variants, etc., so it will probably be a BR one to start with and hopefully by then details of the next variants will be known.

I'm thinking a generic coal / minerals / steel / etc. layout is going to be needed, perhaps with swappable signals and buildings to locate the region / period, etc.  Back to the drawing board!

Well, in a busy week Ive had time to think about this.

DJ Models have moved into a gap in the market that Bachmann have left wide open. The Barwell based company have dominated for some time, standards have been set highly and they have really delivered. We have been the beneficaries of bachmanns excellence and the departure of staff recently is not the sign of this coming to an end. Rather, like Hornby, supply issues have delayed projects and the market has changed opening up new opportunites for those eager to enter, but Hornby too seem to be on the return with the idea of TTS, being just one example of inovation and a return to what we expect as consumers

Rapido and DJ Models have stepped into this vaccum, and while the former have gone for something more flamboyant Dave here has clearly focussed on items that have been hiting hight in recent polls and also in pages of topics that people have predicted might have come from the likes of Bachmann. I noticed the class 59 thread while browsing the site yesterday, though as Im writing this is now passed midnight, so was now day before yesterday! Ive had a really busy week, and so did not open the main DJ Models page here. I was thinking one project might be a good way to start, but was gobsmacked to find both the Q6, and the class 71 both being announced too.

These are all engines that the various sectors of the modelling fraternity have been clamouring for, for some time. The class 59 was widely tipped, as was the class 71 being requested to run along Merchant navys and slam door units, etc. Both of these really allow an engine to be brought to market that compliments the exisiting fleet made by other manufactuers.

The Q6 is the same, although the real difference is the obliteration of the boundry that previously existed surrounding the North East Region for native motive power. Here the Raven machine opens up the region that is ripe for development and allows a great many possibilites, given there is a great many of the engines to compliment this made, but no North Eastern engines to match. That stops with this annoucement.

The engine has a gorgeous look and sublime appearance, making it desired by many for its quintessencial North Eastern character captured by the standardisation seen across the NER range. Everything from ratios on smokebox door handles to cabs used of different classes. Even into LNER opperation, the look and ideas persisted on stuff drawn up by Darlington and built by there and Gateshead. The main value for this engine will be that is does have a preserved example, 63395, which has also ran in NER appearance - which is to be modelled. A nice move given that it still allows the BR one to be renumbered. Those that ran in nationalisation are bound to sell like hot cakes as the steam-diesel tranistional period will dominate sales, probably needing reruns, but LNER has a degree of interest and pregouping is getting more of a look in.  

Im overjoyed the Q6 is to be announced and made, and Im pleased its by someone with experience in the industry. I have no issues with lack of his own models thus far as the company is getting started and anyone wanting to say otherwise is really definding the status quo more than embracing evolution to the market. Form set by decisions made previously in the industry and from the choice of models selected already give me great confidence that this engine will rival that of Bachmann, who were the company of choice to make workhorses like those that have been selected. That in itself is quite an achievement and believe this model as well as the others will take this company to successful established ground and market share.

The futures looking good, but benefits everyone all round. That surely is brilliant... but for me personally Im glad this model is now reality.

After a night's fretful sleep expecting to wake up to find this announcement and thread had been but a whistful dream, I still need 'pinching', but its still here. Huzzah!

At last a genuine workhorse from the cradle of the railways. Early BR crest for me please.

I've also got the blessing of my better half, who for once didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned the prospective price and timescale. (Best to record that here so she can't have a change of heart at a later date.)

Thanks Dave and every best wish for the success of this endeavour.

Dancing in the streets of Brandon ? I doubt it, but certainly a glass or several to be raised. Cheers!

Best Regards,

John

As far my wife is concerned, a long timescale is always good news for her. If it had been, I need to spend 140 smackers next week.... well, I'll soon see a list of other "priorities".

Ah ha!! :O  

:offtopic:

I knew it. There was bound to be an issue. I have found a problem with this model....

The problem is. Now that a Q6 has been announced and will be delivered. What on earth am I going to go on about now? :scenic:

:tomato:

J72? I'll join you now my J15 and K1 have been announced

• RMweb Gold

I knew it. There was bound to be an issue. I have found a problem with this model....

The problem is. Now that a Q6 has been announced and will be delivered. What on earth am I going to go on about now? :scenic:

Don't worry...you'll find something.Glad your personal dream is in the pipeline.It looks set to be a cracking model....happiness abounds.

The Q6 will be lost without a J21 and a J27. We can't possibly model a proper NE region layout could we ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Great choice. I reckon that this one will fly off the shelves. Is it too early to say what sort of production runs we might expect? Is it going to be a case of pre-order or miss out or are there actually going to be enough produced for the old fashioned alien concept of shops actually carrying some stock on their shelves?

It must be quite tricky trying to work out just how many of each version to produce but particularly on this one, I hope there are enough to go round!

I wish you great success with the venture.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the B16 family as well. That's looked like an open goal for a while, from among the NER's designs the one that remained an 'all-line' engine throughout its LNER and BR service.

Don't forget the B16 family as well. That's looked like an open goal for a while, from among the NER's designs the one that remained an 'all-line' engine throughout its LNER and BR service.

Absolutely agree...that really would be something.

Archived