OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi dave been looking at the Q6 cat no 00Q6-001 and see it as the loco number and then state's late or early crest. So here comes the obvious question. Which is it? Or is it going to be released with some sort or transfer or will there be 00Q6-001A and B.mines a early crest please names been down for a while now.

Another question what about Spears across the model range

"Early or late crest" was my fault- Dave asked me for a list of suitable locos and I found pics of 63395 with early crest and with late crest, each with a tender having D-shaped slots and coal rails right round.  So I sent "early or late crest" back and that is what Dave published.  I don't know which will be done.

Publishing the list exactly as sent was mostly due to my missing the request for identities until the morning of the announcement.

Note that there is another period in which 63395 ran with a 4125-gallon tender with oval slots.  That tender does not come into the reckoning as all initial loco numbers were taken from photos showing (apparently) 3940-gallon tenders to help Dave keep the initial cost down a bit by only doing one tender.

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Gold

thank you les for clearing that up. Well I was thinking of a second one of these magnificent machines I will have to see if a different tender will be done with the second batch. Now I just have make up good reason why they would end up in the Leicester region.

• 1 month later...

I'd say Hornby (or Bachmann for that matter) would have a bit of a cheek if one of them suddenly announced a Q6 too. They'd be more than welcome to start announcing other NER classes though :-)

I gather from some of the posts on this thread (I'm a newcomer to the hobby) that this engine has been longed for in RTR form for years now without result until DJ was smart enough to take it in hand. Judging by the spec at the top of this thread it looks like it'll be a cracker too!

Have to admit the last thing Im looking for is for this project to become tied up in all the other work that DJ Models are busy going for. While a lot of them sound impressive and Im even after some (the 14xx for 1401 in plain black for one) reassurance that this North Eastern stelwart is still making progress would be grand.

I'd say Hornby (or Bachmann for that matter) would have a bit of a cheek if one of them suddenly announced a Q6 too. They'd be more than welcome to start announcing other NER classes though :-)

I gather from some of the posts on this thread (I'm a newcomer to the hobby) that this engine has been longed for in RTR form for years now without result until DJ was smart enough to take it in hand. Judging by the spec at the top of this thread it looks like it'll be a cracker too!

I bet, quite coincidentally you understand, ;-) that they do announce it in December!

I know there's some N gauge coming as I've been told what is coming from my German Arnold spy in camp.

• RMweb Premium

Ooh your such a tease Dave. Maybe it's no surprise though. With the success of the Belle and now that Bachmann has announced Narrow Gauge items, it was only a matter of time before Hornby announced further N gauge. Anyway back to DJ Models. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the q6.

• RMweb Gold

I bet, quite coincidentally you understand, ;-) that they do announce it in December!

I know there's some N gauge coming as I've been told what is coming from my German Arnold spy in camp.

I bet that Hornby will announce it in December (which ties up with something I heard from 'elsewhere in the industry' earlier this year.  That is, of course, unless they've decided not to go head-to-head with DJM :O  

I bet that Hornby will announce it in December (which ties up with something I heard from 'elsewhere in the industry' earlier this year.  That is, of course, unless they've decided not to go head-to-head with DJM :O

I understand one of the top guys at Margate has told outsiders that basically they are the top dogs and they are not going to back down on anything.

If this reported attitude is correct, it would account for 3 ( and I know of a 4th definite) duplication as they assert their dominance.

So lay money on another duplication........or even 2 in the next tranche of announcements next month guys and girls.

I understand one of the top guys at Margate has told outsiders that basically they are the top dogs and they are not going to back down on anything.

If this reported attitude is correct, it would account for 3 ( and I know of a 4th definite) duplication as they assert their dominance.

So lay money on another duplication........or even 2 in the next tranche of announcements next month guys and girls.

So Hornby are trying to rattle everyone's cage, surprise, surprise!  If their performance so far since their 'reshuffle' is anything to go by I wouldn't be too worried. 

They remind me of the recipient of the Michael Caine quote in 'Get Carter', "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself."

Who knows what is going on in the corridors of power. Two heads can think alike and if they are both working on parallel models, the outcome of splitting the market is tough on both. Retail outlet backlash against the red box company is another possibility. The latter may be merely testing options without realising it might already have squandered some of them. Like I says, who knows.....

We are only the little people, so while it is fun second guessing how things will go, we should also keep our fingers crossed that no one gets them seriously burned and takes part of our hobby with it.

• RMweb Gold

Simple answer to that Dave - commissioners, yourself, Oxford et al should announce lots of coaching stock (please)  :jester:

And what price the first triplication?

• RMweb Premium

What arrogance! And I have to say it's validated by their intransigence on the Exeter issue, their dictation of reduced margins to retailers and that crazy cannot sell out of UK nonsense that I've never seen a clarification from Hornby of. Maybe they think they are too big to fail. If they were delivering product I could understand it, but this arrogance is not based on solid foundations. I think they need a reappraisal or get a new top guy!

I do also think that the days of the big boys might well be numbered. I see more and more small suppliers Oxford and Rapido as examples popping up and of course , you Dave , acting as intermediary between Chinese Manufacturing and retailer commissions, perhaps creating their own brands . There was a time it would be inconceivable to think of the hobby without Hornby. Don't think that now. Good luck Dave , just hope you haven't bit off more than you can chew. Time to deliver something I think, then look at things Scottish...............

Archived