Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Here is the latest progress report.

After nearly two days work by Roger the electrician and his apprentice, I now have light and power in the shed.  I must say they made a very thorough and professional job of it.  All checked over and after the elimination of a tricky to track down fault in the original supply to the garage (intermittent earthing), it now passes muster and certifiably safe.

It is so good to have light especially in the shed (two in line strip "battens" at the ceiling ridge) and sufficient power capacity to get an effective heater going.  I just left our little fan heater going in there for half an hour which raised the temperature from 10 degrees C to a positively balmy 19 degrees.  I then turned it off, exited the shed and returned half an hour later to see that my mini weather station was still showing 19 degrees C which is pleasing and indicative that the insulation is doing its job.

I need to crack on now and finish lining and insulating the door, double glaze the windows, fit blinds over the windows, fit the stainless steel high security pad lock and hasp and lay the (ex bedroom) carpet and underlay.  I can then install my current layout and see how that runs in its new environment.

Regards,

Brian

• Like 3

Here is the latest progress report.

After nearly two days work by Roger the electrician and his apprentice, I now have light and power in the shed.  I must say they made a very thorough and professional job of it.  All checked over and after the elimination of a tricky to track down fault in the original supply to the garage (intermittent earthing), it now passes muster and certifiably safe.

It is so good to have light especially in the shed (two in line strip "battens" at the ceiling ridge) and sufficient power capacity to get an effective heater going.  I just left our little fan heater going in there for half an hour which raised the temperature from 10 degrees C to a positively balmy 19 degrees.  I then turned it off, exited the shed and returned half an hour later to see that my mini weather station was still showing 19 degrees C which is pleasing and indicative that the insulation is doing its job.

I need to crack on now and finish lining and insulating the door, double glaze the windows, fit blinds over the windows, fit the stainless steel high security pad lock and hasp and lay the (ex bedroom) carpet and underlay.  I can then install my current layout and see how that runs in its new environment.

Regards,

Brian

Well done Brian, great stuff mate, they cost a lot of money, but well worth it.

Glad to hear your insulation is working well, as well mate.

Well done Brian, great stuff mate, they cost a lot of money, but well worth it.

Glad to hear your insulation is working well, as well mate.

Seems to be, although I popped out an hour later and the temperature indicated by my mini weather station ("the device on the wall") had dropped from 19 to 16 degrees C.  The shed has had no heat put into it since it was put up after the August Bank Holiday and, whilst moderately well insulated, I think the shed structure mass needs a bit of thermal input so I'll keep warming it up and monitoring whats going on with the "device on the wall".

Thanks for popping in, Andy.  I'm now just off to your Bitton thread.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

I am now making progress on the double glazing!

Yesterday I bought a couple of sheets of acrylic sheet (see this link - http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/diy/roofing-sheets/liteglaze-acrylic-sheet---120-x-60cm-284506)and some small screws and strip wood.  After a bit of a learning curve (the sheet is very brittle and doesn't take drill bits particular well) I have now double glazed 2 of the 4 windows.

The sheet is well protected by peel off film both sides, one of which has a grid to aid square cutting and instructions as to how to cut and drill.  I followed the drilling instructions to the letter but found that because I was drilling close to the edge it inevitably cracked twice to the edge leaving a bite sized chunk missing.  Because I am using 3 and 4 mm screws, I found that forming a hole in the acrylic using a bradle strangely works best causing no cracking at all.  I also left the film on throughout the cutting, hole forming and fitting over the existing window - only removing the film once all fitting operations were complete.

I am quite pleased with the outcome - the acrylic sheet is optically flat so doesn't distort the view out of the window which was a concern I had.  I'll post some pictures on here later in the week.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

I took a couple of before and after pics with my phone just now which shows the additional acrylic glazing in place (but without the protective film removed yet.  Aided by the new strip lights I think the photos are adequate to show what I've done.

Before....

post-1115-0-38935800-1416852998_thumb.jpg

....and after

post-1115-0-64221500-1416853093_thumb.jpg

Basically the new glazing sheet is just larger than the existing glass by the width (times 2) of the strip softwood in both directions (height and width).

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

Evening Brian 

Looks like it's progressing well. It might be worth looking at Andy P's Bitton thread after he had a condensation problem this morning.

Thanks Duncan,

Yes I have seen Andy's posts and have PMd him about.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Hi Brian, the double glazing of the windows is in my HUMBLE opinion a very good idea, even if its only psychological, hahha every little helps as they say.

Looking very neat mate.

Thanks, Andy.  Trying to keep it as neat as possible hahaha.

Regards,

Brian.

Morning Brian,

Oddly enough I just came to your site to warn you about Andy's drama but note that Duncan had beaten me to it! With your background, I guess you've already considered a solution and it's kind of you to have PMd him. I think the excess of technical 'jargon' is depressing and confusing him which could well have issues on his health as stress is to be avoided as much as possible. I only worry because, as you've no doubt discovered, he is one of the kindest and most helpful souls on RMweb!

Keep up the neat work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Brian,

Oddly enough I just came to your site to warn you about Andy's drama but note that Duncan had beaten me to it! With your background, I guess you've already considered a solution and it's kind of you to have PMd him. I think the excess of technical 'jargon' is depressing and confusing him which could well have issues on his health as stress is to be avoided as much as possible. I only worry because, as you've no doubt discovered, he is one of the kindest and most helpful souls on RMweb!

Keep up the neat work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good Afternoon, Jock.

I trust you are good today.

Indeed he is and such a prolific layout builder.  My own modelling efforts are in a much lower league.

I think I underestimated how substantial a building Andy has, hardly a "potting shed" as he calls it.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Some more progress made today.  After visiting two Dunelm Mill stores today, I eventually plumped for a couple of blue black-out roller blinds for the shed.  So this afternoon, I finished fitting the acrylic secondary glazing and fitted one of the blinds.  When I've got the other blind up and peeled off the protective film on the acrylic tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post them here.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Sorry for the delay in posting pics of the finished secondary glazing and the fitted blinds so here they are.

post-1115-0-44674800-1417542161_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-32397400-1417542194_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend I framed out and added insulation to the shed door as shown below.

post-1115-0-49650100-1417542287_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-76667300-1417542327_thumb.jpg

I was trying to find a cheap way of lining the door interior - seemed a waste to buy a whole sheet of mdf.  On Sunday, Homebase had a sale on and I thought a cheep pack of laminate flooring might do the trick and my wife stumbled across this end of line pack priced at £7 odd.

post-1115-0-10755400-1417542543_thumb.jpg

With the additional 15% off, the price came down to £5 odd - result!

This morning, in between the drizzle and gloom, I cut the boards to the appropriate length and screwed them to the inside of the door frame as below.

post-1115-0-62198800-1417542693_thumb.jpg

Sort of vertical laminate flooring  :jester:

I've got some rubberised draft excluder to go round the door but I probably need to paint the frame first.  The security lock and hasp and the shed alarm also need fitting and I also need some dry weather so I can get the erstwhile bedroom carpet and underlay out of the garage and lay it on the decking so I can cut it to size to go in the shed.

Getting there, slowly.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

Hi Brian, that door and Window blinds do look good, I had Black Out Blinds in the spare bedroom when I used to work nights, there very effective.

Just a thought, I had rain drips over the door so I have fitted a little Rain Shield out of Plasticard on three little wooden wedges. It keeps the rain out and off the top of the door frame.

post-9335-0-84109700-1417558578_thumb.jpg

All the best mate, loving the build your doing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brian

I'm just back from a few days away and trying to catch up on all that's been posted everywhere so apologies if this has been mentioned but Andy had some problems with condensation on his similarly insulated shed. Yours also looks to be pretty air tight.

Were you aware of Andy's (ventilation) problem? I subsequently decided to add "ventilation" before anyone put the wrong interpretation on the sentence as it was originally! 

• Like 1

Hi Brian, that door and Window blinds do look good, I had Black Out Blinds in the spare bedroom when I used to work nights, there very effective.

Just a thought, I had rain drips over the door so I have fitted a little Rain Shield out of Plasticard on three little wooden wedges. It keeps the rain out and off the top of the door frame.

attachicon.gifSigns of the Times 003.JPG

All the best mate, loving the build your doing.

Hi Andy, thanks for looking in.  I'm reasonably pleased with the way things are going.  My shed arrived with a triangular timber strip or "drip" over the door so I think I'm OK.   I'll keep a weather eye on it though ( :jester: ) just in case I need to beef up the weather protection at the top of the door.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian

I'm just back from a few days away and trying to catch up on all that's been posted everywhere so apologies if this has been mentioned but Andy had some problems with condensation on his similarly insulated shed. Yours also looks to be pretty air tight.

Were you aware of Andy's (ventilation) problem? I subsequently decided to add "ventilation" before anyone put the wrong interpretation on the sentence as it was originally! 

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments.  I've not got any night heating in the shed because there is no railway equipment installed yet so I don't really know whether I've got a condensation problem or not.  The plan is to put some heating in there on a time clock.  The little fan heater I've got out there is certainly effective in raising the temperature quickly (see earlier post) but I'm as yet undecided on the type and level of heating to install on the timer and just how long to set the heat to come on for, if at all.  Hopefully I'll get my existing layout out there soon and see how it gets on in its new environment.

Yes I was aware of Andy's problem and pm'd him about it but was barking up the wrong tree.  Andy's shed is considerably bigger than mine and (I think) he has installed a triangular insulated roof space.  My shed's eaves are too low for that so I have just insulated and sheeted up the two slopes as it were.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

Semi progress report/completely off topic!

I've given the door interior (vertical laminate flooring haha) a couple of coats of paint over the last few days but temperatures are very low and it is taking longer than I thought to dry.  No rush I suppose.  Anyway.....

....earlier today, I caught wind of a returning "Steam Dreams Cathedral Express - Southend to Norwich (1Z51)" which would pass through our local station (5 minutes walk away) at about 20.55 this evening.  So, I set off and witnessed, I think, a double headed (2 Black 5s) train storm through the station - fantastic noise, smoke and atmosphere.  I took the "big" camera and got some shots but obviously it was dark, a moving subject and I was reliant on the station lighting, so.. the best I could do, severely cropped...excuses, excuses................

post-1115-0-27691400-1417906342_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian

• Like 3

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments.  I've not got any night heating in the shed because there is no railway equipment installed yet so I don't really know whether I've got a condensation problem or not.  The plan is to put some heating in there on a time clock.  The little fan heater I've got out there is certainly effective in raising the temperature quickly (see earlier post) but I'm as yet undecided on the type and level of heating to install on the timer and just how long to set the heat to come on for, if at all.  Hopefully I'll get my existing layout out there soon and see how it gets on in its new environment.

Yes I was aware of Andy's problem and pm'd him about it but was barking up the wrong tree.  Andy's shed is considerably bigger than mine and (I think) he has installed a triangular insulated roof space.  My shed's eaves are too low for that so I have just insulated and sheeted up the two slopes as it were.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian, re the heating, I have a small 18'' square heater panel that just gets warm and is supposed to be a penny an hour, I have it on for 3 Hours early morning, ablout 3 am to 6 and it warms it up to about 5 degrees, so just takes the chill off it.

Hi Brian, re the heating, I have a small 18'' square heater panel that just gets warm and is supposed to be a penny an hour, I have it on for 3 Hours early morning, ablout 3 am to 6 and it warms it up to about 5 degrees, so just takes the chill off it.

Thanks Andy - something to consider.  Oh, and what a great resource RMWeb is, I'm sure you will agree.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Lovely shots Brian and proper locos (one of my dad's favourites when he was driving!) as well! Worry not about the quality my friend, it is almost possible to smell the steam, they are so atmospheric! 'Beast' managed a good daylight shot that you can see on the ERs thread if you're interested.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Lovely shots Brian and proper locos (one of my dad's favourites when he was driving!) as well! Worry not about the quality my friend, it is almost possible to smell the steam, they are so atmospheric! 'Beast' managed a good daylight shot that you can see on the ERs thread if you're interested.

Kind regards,

Jock.

It certainly was a fantastic experience last night - you could hear the engine(s?) for several minutes working hard up to speed before the train was in sight.  There is a diabolically tight curve near the former Tilbury Riverside station (now a container base) which I think is 20 mph restricted.  After that heading eastwards there is I guess a couple of miles of dead straight track across the West Tilbury marshes where I imagine the Black 5 was given its head and that's what we could hear last night.  Terrific.

Just off to ER now to check out the other pic you mentioned.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2