Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Evening Brian

Although I've become more of a steam fan, I can appreciate the 31. At least it's green.

I also like the station building. Going to look good when it's completed

Hi Duncan,

Sorry for the time taken to reply - I've actually spent some more time on the station building.  It's coming along well.  I think I've cracked how to attach plastic Wills gutter sections to the card structure and I've built a canopy from a Scalescenes large station kit and tiled the roof.  More photos soon hopefully.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Afternoon Brian,

Any chance you could give us a blow by blow account of how you solved the problem of fixing the Wills bits to card?

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

It would be my pleasure Jock.

Basically, the Wills gutter section has a 2mm wide styrene strip butt solvent welded to it all tied back with more styrene strip.  On the basis that a picture (or two) is worth a thousand (or two) words.......

post-1115-0-22560600-1424096128_thumb.jpg

...and...

post-1115-0-96761200-1424096175_thumb.jpg

The whole Wills gutter/styrene strip contraption is shown temporarily sellotaped in position - it will be eventually glued once I have decided what I'm doing about the corresponding down pipes and have painted all the visible plastic BR(NER) pale blue.

I trust that adequately explains the process.  If not, please come back.

Regards,

Brian.

Very clear indeed Brian, and a method likely to be adopted if you don't mind! I will have a couple of fair lengths on the coaling stage, and if I ever get as far as the Engine Shed, that is very long indeed! I'll probably make a practice start on the bothy which was located near the coaling ramp, turn-table and ash pits! Nice small building for a warm up!

Thanks for your efforts, very good of you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Very clear indeed Brian, and a method likely to be adopted if you don't mind! I will have a couple of fair lengths on the coaling stage, and if I ever get as far as the Engine Shed, that is very long indeed! I'll probably make a practice start on the bothy which was located near the coaling ramp, turn-table and ash pits! Nice small building for a warm up!

Thanks for your efforts, very good of you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

No problem, Jock.  Pleased to help.

Regards,

Brian.

It's a week since I posted here so just a quick update to prove that things are ticking along so to speak.

Work has progressed greatly today on the new station building now that I have decided what colour to paint the gutters and downpipes.  I started another thread asking this very question - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96046-north-eastern-region-station-gutters-downpipes/

The answer is light blue but it has taken a while for me to source what I consider is the nearest shade.  I have plumped for an artist's acrylic called "periwinkle" so have painted the gutters and down pipe that colour along with some new platform lamp columns.  The roof is now on the station building and chimney pots added along with the canopy.  I need to add the fancy barge boards at one gable end and that will pretty much complete it bar a few extra signs.  I also only need to add the tangerine "Hawthorn Town" totems to the platform lamps to complete them.

A box of goodies arrived last week containing people and other assorted platform clutter.  I trust that all this and the new platform lamps and station building will add to the ambiance so to speak.

More pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 2

As promised, here are the pictures.

Firstly, the station building as existing at the time of my post yesterday i.e. minus end barge boards - you can see my painted station lamps in the background without the tangerine totem signs.

post-1115-0-42711400-1424890354_thumb.jpg

Now, the station building as finished and placed on the layout.

post-1115-0-96894800-1424890473_thumb.jpg

The following shot shows all the lamp columns (with totems added) and the station building in the background.

post-1115-0-25017800-1424890574_thumb.jpg

..and finally a close up of one of the lamps.

post-1115-0-46177300-1424890641_thumb.jpg

The orange signs are from a Scalescenes North Eastern Region station signs download, printed on to photo paper and being quite small were a b*gger to cut out.  The last photo is brutal - from normal viewing distances they look OK, at least to me.

I have some platform benches, people (sitting and standing) and some other bits to further populate the platform.  Hopefully this will happen in the next day or two.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

Morning Brian,

I agree with Andy, it really is coming together. I have to say that the guttering, as mentioned in your tutorial above, does look effective on the Station Building and I have noted that for future reference!

Look forward to the next step,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

The little people and their various benches have invaded the platform area!

Said little people are Bachmann's finest which didn't want to stand up, although there are some seated ones on the benches.  I cut small paving slab size pieces from see-through report cover material (acetate sheet possibly - any way stuff I had salted away) and glued each figure to a slab.  I didn't really want to cement them to the platform so this works well for me.  When the new layout is complete they will migrate there  :)

The benches are Metcalfe laser cut card jobbies and were extremely fiddly to put together.  But the final result was worth it.  Pictures follow.

In the first two you can just make out the additional signage added to the station building.

post-1115-0-68767600-1425058272_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-40889000-1425058321_thumb.jpg

Train spotters were a must have.  I was there!

post-1115-0-30162200-1425058349_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the platform with all the new station furniture and people.

post-1115-0-42989800-1425058381_thumb.jpg

I took these this afternoon before playing trains an operating session.  More pictures of this in a bit.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

For the purposes of this session, I moved my layout south into former Great Central territory as can be see by the choice of motive power.

Basically I set up the four fiddle yard cassettes with...

1. a parcels train headed by a BR Standard 4MT alternating with a Fairburn 2-6-4 tank
  2. a stopping passenger train D11 hauled
  3. a pick up goods hauled by a J11
  4. a rake of iron ore hoppers and a Robinson O4

Pictures follow.

The D11 arrives with the train spotters looking on eagerly.  The BR Standard stands in the bay waiting to depart with the parcels train.

post-1115-0-73560000-1425060250_thumb.jpg

The O4 arrives.

post-1115-0-23566200-1425060378_thumb.jpg

The J11 arrives with a couple of vans and...

post-1115-0-69396000-1425060445_thumb.jpg

...departs with the coal yard empties.

post-1115-0-41627200-1425060758_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality.  High ISO settings on my little compact Canon haven't helped.  Should have got the tripod out really.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The little people and their various benches have invaded the platform area!

Said little people are Bachmann's finest which didn't want to stand up, although there are some seated ones on the benches.  I cut small paving slab size pieces from see-through report cover material (acetate sheet possibly - any way stuff I had salted away) and glued each figure to a slab.  I didn't really want to cement them to the platform so this works well for me.  When the new layout is complete they will migrate there  :)

The benches are Metcalfe laser cut card jobbies and were extremely fiddly to put together.  But the final result was worth it.  Pictures follow.

In the first two you can just make out the additional signage added to the station building.

attachicon.gifIMG_0160.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0161.jpg

Train spotters were a must have.  I was there!

attachicon.gifIMG_0162.jpg

An overall view of the platform with all the new station furniture and people.

attachicon.gifIMG_0163.jpg

I took these this afternoon before playing trains an operating session.  More pictures of this in a bit.

Regards,

Brian.

Oi Brian

What do you think you are doing, your seated people have their feet on the ground as well as their bottoms on the seats. You know in model land they are supposed to sit with their feet swaying in the breeze.

Seriously look at many layouts and people sitting down very rarely have their feet on the deck. Well done your little humans look human.

Oi Brian

What do you think you are doing, your seated people have their feet on the ground as well as their bottoms on the seats. You know in model land they are supposed to sit with their feet swaying in the breeze.

Seriously look at many layouts and people sitting down very rarely have their feet on the deck. Well done your little humans look human.

That's very kind of you to say so Clive.  But I take no credit apart from putting the extremely fiddly and frustrating Metcalfe bench kits together.  The Bachmann figures are straight out of their box, apart from one unfortunate young lady who had her mobile phone forcibly removed.  It is also not possible to see the "hoodie" worn by one of the seated people as his back is to the wall  :)

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

This arrived from Sheffield in this morning's post.

post-1115-0-70934300-1425146040_thumb.jpg

This little engine has such a wonderful mechanism - runs at a crawl in both directions straight out of the box over my dead frog points.  A little cracker IMHO.  Hornby back at their very best.

Now, the vigilant amongst you will realise that this is not a North Eastern engine and indeed a few ex GCR locos appeared on the layout yesterday.  I also have a D16 on pre-order.  Over the last few years, I have not been able to resist purchasing the latest RTR ex LNER locos which are in all respects superb models and run like a dream with pick-ups on both loco and tender.  Herein lies my dilemma.  How can I run all these locos in a convincing manner?

The solution I have chosen is that the new layout is likely to have a split personality.  The track, signals and other infrastructure will be generic but the signature structures, station lamps and signing will be interchangeable so that I can make a fair depiction of both the North Eastern Region and the Eastern Region.  Indeed, I am thinking that the colliery will have to also be interchangeable with say a cement works or a (grain) mill - there ain't no coal in East Anglia!

Much food for thought.

Regards,

Brian.

PS I think this photo is a significant improvement on yesterday's efforts.  Same camera but put on a tripod and ISO much reduced.

• Like 5

The upgrade works continue.

For some time now I have not been satisfied with the glazing in the signal box - see above pics in post 213.  I originally formed these windows by tracing the various frame and glazing bars on acetate report cover material using a correction fluid pen.  The result was OK at the time but as time has gone on I have grown increasingly unsatisfied with the thickness of the white lines representing these frames/bars.  So, I took the windows out and threw them in the bin!

post-1115-0-79247900-1425408466_thumb.jpg

Today I have fabricated new windows by printing the frames on to self adhesive photo paper, sticking the resulting image on to acetate, cutting around the frames and picking out that part of the image represented by the glass, leaving the frames and glazing bars, cutting around the resulting windows and gluing then in place thus.  A fiddly process which tested my short fuse temper (it's the red hair, or what's left of it, you know  :banghead: )

post-1115-0-82819600-1425408723_thumb.jpg

I think this is an improvement when viewed from normal viewing distances so I'm happy-ish - far from perfect though.  I also took the opportunity of painting the handrail on the stairs the same light blue colour I painted the gutters and platform lamps.

This is an image of the box back in position on the layout.

post-1115-0-61065100-1425408843_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

Another one I can potentially use Brian - I've been pondering how to do the glazing bars on the shed windows at Hurlford67B, as they are different heights and have curved tops. Your method could be the solution so I'll have to have a practise - hope you haven't copyrighted it?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Excellent work Brian, very clever idea.

Thanks Andy but I can't claim any credit for the idea.  The usual method though is to use A4 self adhesive labels and print the window on to that before sticking to the acetate.

Regards,

Brian.

Another one I can potentially use Brian - I've been pondering how to do the glazing bars on the shed windows at Hurlford67B, as they are different heights and have curved tops. Your method could be the solution so I'll have to have a practise - hope you haven't copyrighted it?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock - see my reply to Andy.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Yesterday I built another cassette for the fiddle yard taking the total up to 5.  See below pics.

post-1115-0-02807300-1425580806_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-17770200-1425580840_thumb.jpg

This enables me to start a session with an extra passenger train and makes the operating sequence longer and more interesting and complicated.  The sturdy construction also enables me to safely stack cassettes as shown in the second pic - makes it easier to move trains around off stage.

The cassette fiddle yard is growing on me despite the cumbersome method of turning trains round off stage but so far no accidents, touch wood.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

About 10 years ago my eldest daughter moved out and I built some baseboards to fit her thus vacated bedroom but didn't get round to erecting them before going on holiday.  When we got back from our holiday, my daughter had split with her boyfriend and moved back in. Whilst we were pleased to see her, this put paid to my spare bedroom railway plans and the boards were first shunted out in to the garage and then the loft.  The current layout was built instead being demountable/fold up being stored in our bedroom.

Today, as the sun was shining, I got the boards out of the loft and set them up on the decking to see what condition they were in - see below.

post-1115-0-42230900-1425664065_thumb.jpg

They looked reasonably flat and hadn't warped so I intend to use them in the shed.  One or two surface defects in the half inch ply tops were evident so I have therefore spent an hour or two this afternoon sanding them down and given them a coat of PVA while the sun was shining.

These additional boards aren't enough to go right round the shed so I will have to build some more but this is a very positive step forward and a huge time saver.  They comprise two boards about 2 foot by 3 foot six inches and a similar size board with an angled off corner as you can see in the photo.

Now to design a layout to fit the boards!

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3