Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

In my post yesterday where I referenced another post on RMWeb re cassette connection to the main layout board, I neglected to name the poster.  I am therefore delighted to thank Tel2010 for his inspirational post which solved my problem exactly.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Today's progress report follows.

Instead of painting the mdf sides of the cassettes I decided to give then a coat of undiluted PVA which should seal them in one hit.  All four cassettes are shown below thus treated, a bit brown and boring though.

post-1115-0-31447200-1421436230_thumb.jpg

There followed much sawing, screwing and gluing to "mass produce" the lifting handles, some of which are shown below assembled but not attached to the cassettes, two per cassette.

post-1115-0-90133200-1421436442_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to complete the cassettes tomorrow when normal train services will be resumed (albeit reduced in length) and the rail replacement buses can cease  :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

An inspirational build Brian, just found the thread and read the lot! Hope to convert my existing shed in a few weeks time and I'll no doubt 'pinch' some of your ideas!!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

In my post yesterday where I referenced another post on RMWeb re cassette connection to the main layout board, I neglected to name the poster.  I am therefore delighted to thank Tel2010 for his inspirational post which solved my problem exactly.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian,appreciated but wont take credit for original idea i seen similar used before ,wish could remember where ,but glad to have been able to have brought it to your attention.

Tel 

• Like 1

Morning Brian,

I'm with Andy, cracking effort and another idea to log for future reference - haven't come across Tel or Ron before tonight but they underline what a supportive and helpful bunch of people frequent RMweb!

Look forward to this weekend's efforts,

Kind regards,

Jock.

An inspirational build Brian, just found the thread and read the lot! Hope to convert my existing shed in a few weeks time and I'll no doubt 'pinch' some of your ideas!!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers

Ron

Many thanks for your kind words, Ron.  The last few weeks cold weather have shown that my shed heats up quickly using the fan heater and intermittent bursts of the fan keep it cosy so I don't think it is costing much to heat.  The temperatures still plummet overnight but with (so far) no adverse effects on the existing layout - I was a bit concerned about my less than perfect soldered joints.

Good luck with your shed refurb and feel free to "pinch" as many ideas as you want.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Evening Brian, I like the cassettes mate and the handles are a work of art in themselves, brilliant job and at least the Layout will be useable.

Thanks, Andy.  I was a bit concerned about using mdf strips for the cassette sides but they have responded well to the pva treatment and all appears quite sturdy now.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 3

Morning Brian,

I'm with Andy, cracking effort and another idea to log for future reference - haven't come across Tel or Ron before tonight but they underline what a supportive and helpful bunch of people frequent RMweb!

Look forward to this weekend's efforts,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good Afternoon Jock,

I hope you are well.  I totally agree with you about RMWeb - it is a fantastic resource, like being a member of a model railway club (but no subs :jester: ).

I have completed two of the cassettes just now having attached the handles.  We have to do a dog walk shortly so I'll hopefully complete the other cassettes when we get back and post pictures on here later.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

Good Afternoon Jock,

I hope you are well.  I totally agree with you about RMWeb - it is a fantastic resource, like being a member of a model railway club (but no subs :jester: ).

I have completed two of the cassettes just now having attached the handles.  We have to do a dog walk shortly so I'll hopefully complete the other cassettes when we get back and post pictures on here later.

Best Regards,

Brian.

Brian, there's nothing quite like a good Dog walk to clear the mind and plan the next phase.

Oh, and its HEALTHY, hahhah

• Like 2

You've done it now Brian! I suggested my wife looked at your shed build and she just said, "Knock the old one down and build a bigger, better shed like Brian has!" So, plans are afoot!!

(Thanks, smiled when she said bigger as my present shed is only 6x8'!)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 5

Brian, there's nothing quite like a good Dog walk to clear the mind and plan the next phase.

Oh, and its HEALTHY, hahhah

I agree with the "healthy" bit.  Unfortunately my son's labradoodle goes completely nutty when he sees another dog to the point where he takes no notice at all of instructions to return.  So we are constantly on the look out for other dogs so we can get him back on the lead.  Takes the edge of it a bit  :) .  My son is on a short break skiing recce and his wife is heavily pregnant with our third grandchild so we are dog walking for a few days until my son returns.

Regards,

Brian.

You've done it now Brian! I suggested my wife looked at your shed build and she just said, "Knock the old one down and build a bigger, better shed like Brian has!" So, plans are afoot!!

(Thanks, smiled when she said bigger as my present shed is only 6x8'!)

Cheers

Ron

That's great news, Ron.  I'm only too happy to take the blame. Do research the sheds available though.  There are some dodgy ones about which are not particularly well constructed.  A good quality shed will cost a few bob as mine did.

All the best and let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian, I would suggest a slot about an inch from each end and down about an inch, just enough for a piece of card to go in to stop things ROLLING out when turning, locos don't come cheap and even a good wagon can set you back a tenner or more.

• Like 1

Brian, I would suggest a slot about an inch from each end and down about an inch, just enough for a piece of card to go in to stop things ROLLING out when turning, locos don't come cheap and even a good wagon can set you back a tenner or more.

Thanks, Andy - already on my list of jobs, as is a fence at the front of the cassette deck to prevent similar accidents.

Thanks again for the reminder.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Having had a few days to enjoy the existing layout again in its new location and with its new fiddle yard, I am now minded to leave construction of the new layout until the spring or early summer, or at least until the weather warms up.  This decision has been made because there isn't really enough room to construct new baseboards in the shed without damaging the existing layout or the internal shed lining and creating unacceptable amounts of saw dust.

So, in the meantime, I plan a few "improvements" to the existing layout including...

1. a few repairs are needed to the scenery and layout framing close to the front edge, these caused by many times folding up the layout.
  2. experiments with static grass, but I have yet to source a suitable and reasonably priced applicator.
  3. possible reconstruction of the platform.  The original platforms are Metcalfe jobs using laminated cornflake packet card.  I will still "stick" (sorry) with card, probably replacing the platform structure with Scalescenes textures mounted on mounting board or grey board of the correct thickness(s).
  4. improving the track/permanent way appearance (possibly over spray painting the track bed - the ballast is very black in colour and the rail sides need a touch up)
  5. adding people and bits an pieces of luggage, goods, etc.

I'll keep you posted on these developments as they happen.  In the meantime, I do recall "promising" some photos of (1) "Brit" Oliver Cromwell on the GCR at Christmas and (2) my Scalescenes goods shed build.  Pics of (1) are in the camera but still not yet downloaded to the pc and pics of (2) are still to be taken.

Bear (bare?) with me.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 3

Morning Brian,

On the static grass front, I too am horrified by what some companies charge! I recall advice from Al ('acg_mgr') on his 'Bakewell - Peak District line BR' thread, page 85, Posts 2112 on and with a link on Post 2116 to a reasonably priced set-up that worked for him. Be careful though, some 00 layouts I've seen manage to get the grass to look like Boris Johnson's hair!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS edited to put in page number which I forgot!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Having had a few days to enjoy the existing layout again in its new location and with its new fiddle yard, I am now minded to leave construction of the new layout until the spring or early summer, or at least until the weather warms up.  This decision has been made because there isn't really enough room to construct new baseboards in the shed without damaging the existing layout or the internal shed lining and creating unacceptable amounts of saw dust.

So, in the meantime, I plan a few "improvements" to the existing layout including...

1. a few repairs are needed to the scenery and layout framing close to the front edge, these caused by many times folding up the layout.
  2. experiments with static grass, but I have yet to source a suitable and reasonably priced applicator.
  3. possible reconstruction of the platform.  The original platforms are Metcalfe jobs using laminated cornflake packet card.  I will still "stick" (sorry) with card, probably replacing the platform structure with Scalescenes textures mounted on mounting board or grey board of the correct thickness(s).
  4. improving the track/permanent way appearance (possibly over spray painting the track bed - the ballast is very black in colour and the rail sides need a touch up)
  5. adding people and bits an pieces of luggage, goods, etc.

I'll keep you posted on these developments as they happen.  In the meantime, I do recall "promising" some photos of (1) "Brit" Oliver Cromwell on the GCR at Christmas and (2) my Scalescenes goods shed build.  Pics of (1) are in the camera but still not yet downloaded to the pc and pics of (2) are still to be taken.

Bear (bare?) with me.

Regards,

Brian.

Morning Brian, The Casstette racks look even better now there FULL hhahah.

Re the Grass applicator, have a look at the one I have in this short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRMKCifFm-Y

And for the Platform, have you had a look at the Peco ones, they just clip together, these in the pic below have been cut in half but with the three types of edging you can get, this is the concrete, or you can get Stone or Brick, there really good and sturdy.

post-9335-0-65205000-1421919337_thumb.jpg

All the best mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Morning Brian,

On the static grass front, I too am horrified by what some companies charge! I recall advice from Al ('acg_mgr') on his 'Bakewell - Peak District line BR' thread, page 85, Posts 2112 on and with a link on Post 2116 to a reasonably priced set-up that worked for him. Be careful though, some 00 layouts I've seen manage to get the grass to look like Boris Johnson's hair!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS edited to put in page number which I forgot!

Thanks for your post Jock and a very good evening to you.  The device I fancy costs about £30 and was reviewed in one of the mags which I have scanned to my laptop - a "DoubleO Scenics" product.  I agree, it is best not to overdo it.  It will be nice to experiment.

Regards,

Brian.

Morning Brian, The Casstette racks look even better now there FULL hhahah.

Re the Grass applicator, have a look at the one I have in this short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRMKCifFm-Y

And for the Platform, have you had a look at the Peco ones, they just clip together, these in the pic below have been cut in half but with the three types of edging you can get, this is the concrete, or you can get Stone or Brick, there really good and sturdy.

attachicon.gifFirst Platform 002.JPG

All the best mate.

Andy,

Thanks very much for your comments.

That's a great vid.  I just watched it without sound (got Portillo on the TV at the moment which, as he's in the north east, I'm half listening to - multi-tasking hahaha!) but will get the full benefit of your dulcet tones later.   Would that be the DoubleO Scenics product?  The german static inducers are ludicrously expensive so I'm not going there!!

My main problem is I am a forty mile round trip from the nearest model shop that sells Peco products so tend to favour the convenience of internet download kits such as Scalescenes and I can get mounting card more locally.  The 5 yards of track I bought last week involved a trip from Thames-side Essex to the county town, Chelmsford 20 road miles away.  This despite being within commuting distance of central London where there is a dearth of model railway shops despite the massive population.

Regards,

Brian.