What is special about these houses?

Talltim

This is in Leinster Gardens in Bayswater - No.s 33 & 34 I think - Behind this facade is one of the open air sections of the District & Circle lines, which was deliberately created to allow exhaust steam and smoke to escape when the line was first built - I used to use this address when asked for it, after I had committed those misdemeanours that I used to when I was a 'Yooff' some 45 years ago!

:-)

Didn't I read somewhere that mail delivery boys were sometimes given mail to deliver to these fake addresses when they were originally built, and spent ages wondering why no-one answered when they used the fake door knockers ?

Dennis

Houses were removed due to the cut and cover method of construction and the fronts re-instated so they did used to be residences.

People have ordered pizzas etc to them

• RMweb Gold

Didn't I read somewhere that mail delivery boys were sometimes given mail to deliver to these fake addresses when they were originally built, and spent ages wondering why no-one answered when they used the fake door knockers ?

Fake knockers are always a disappointment.

From the rear. Given the boom in London property prices I'm a little surprised that the tunnel hasn't been covered over and backs built onto the false fronts.

A basement flat would be interesting!!

I thought everyone knew about 23 & 24 Leinster Gardens but perhaps its only us Lunnuners. It comes up every few years as "an amazing fact- can you guess what's odd here" but it's really  a bit of an old chestnut now.

What would be interesting is other railway structures disguised as unexpected other things. tunnel vent castles come immediately to mind but therer must be others?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A basement flat would be interesting!!

I thought everyone knew about 23 & 24 Leinster Gardens but perhaps its only us Lunnuners. It comes up every few years as "an amazing fact- can you guess what's odd here" but it's really  a bit of an old chestnut now.

What would be interesting is other railway structures disguised as unexpected other things. tunnel vent castles come immediately to mind but therer must be others?

There's Bishopstone Station's WW2 pillboxes built into the station's structure.

Archived