"Into the Blue", new book by Tony Wright

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

Just arrived today in the mail is the new 'bookazine' "Into the Blue" published by Irwell Press.

Photos and text are by Tony Wright, and cost is £9.99 - it's full colour throughout, and has a good geographical coverage contained in its 79 A4 pages.

There are all kinds of loco classes represented, not just 'big 'uns', though Type 4s and 5s do get plenty of page-space.

Lots of lovely images from the '70s and '80s BR days, not just locos and stock but infrastructure too, so great for modelling inspiration.

My only gripe - and this might relate to printing of my particular copy (?) more than anything else - is that some of the photographs are a little washed out, but I can live with that for a great set of BR Blue photos for less than a tenner!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy from WH Smiths yesterday in Coventry and I must say for anybody who's modelling the Blue era then this is a must.

Ok some of the photos are a bit washed out but the content is very good lots of detail for the modeller I'm glad I bought this I wonder if there will be a series of these books I certainly hope so.

Cheers

Cov guard

Colin

I picked up a copy from WH Smiths yesterday in Coventry and I must say for anybody who's modelling the Blue era then this is a must. Ok some of the photos are a bit washed out but the content is very good lots of detail for the modeller I'm glad I bought this I wonder if there will be a series of these books I certainly hope so. Cheers Cov guard Colin

Many thanks,

I'm puzzled by the fact that one or two of the shots are a bit washed out, because the transparencies were selected because they were all well-saturated, even those taken in less-than-perfect weather. 

Having had thousands of pictures printed down the years (mainly model railway ones), one is always likely to be a hostage to fortune from time to time with regard to reproduction. 

Other than that (and a missing caption), I'm generally happy with it. If it sells well, then there might well be others to follow; there are over a thousand transparencies to choose from.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks,

I'm puzzled by the fact that one or two of the shots are a bit washed out, because the transparencies were selected because they were all well-saturated, even those taken in less-than-perfect weather. 

Having had thousands of pictures printed down the years (mainly model railway ones), one is always likely to be a hostage to fortune from time to time with regard to reproduction. 

Other than that (and a missing caption), I'm generally happy with it. If it sells well, then there might well be others to follow; there are over a thousand transparencies to choose from.

hi Tony,

Would be great to see a sequel!

Could you possibly post here the missing caption, I can see the shot was taken at Bristol Temple Meads but do you have a date and any inf?

cheers,

Keith

hi Tony,

Would be great to see a sequel!

Could you possibly post here the missing caption, I can see the shot was taken at Bristol Temple Meads but do you have a date and any inf?

cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I've tried to copy and paste the caption but my ignorance of computers means it doesn't work.

Anyway, this is the jist of it.........

On a weekday in June 1984, the local Wolverhampton newspaper carried an advertisement for a day out by rail from Wellington (Salop) to Teignmouth and return, picking up at Telford, Shifnal, Wolverhampton, Dudley Port and new Street. It was organised by a church group but I don't think the take-up was high, so with no thoughts of redemption or superstition I bought tickets for me, my wife and mother in law (our two young sons who accompanied us were beneath ticket-needing age). The train was 47-hauled, there and back and was made up of Mk.1s, including an FK (First Corridor), which had been downgraded to Second. Great, dive into a compartment - young children are great for keeping out others!

When the train arrived in Wolverhampton, it went into platform 3 (the normal platform for Euston departures at the time) instead of the advertised platform 2. Travellers to Euston promptly piled on. I knew this was wrong, and as the rest of the trippers looked lost, I grabbed our compartment as train staff told London-bound travellers to get off! 

There are several pictures in the book relating to that beautifully sunny day, including the one without the right caption. It's obviously at Bristol Temple Meads and was taken as the train returned home non-stop. It shows Peak 45048 THE ROYAL MARINES and 33006 on Bath Road Depot, or adjacent to it.

We still had our own compartment because I'd positioned myself on the platform at Teignmouth where I expected our First Class coach to be (the stock must have been kept at Newton during the afternoon). I was spot on, and grabbed the same compartment. 

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyed this book; as maligned as the BR blue era may be, it's 'my' era nonetheless and I hope that further volumes follow. I have no idea how many copies Smiths originally had, but I grabbed the last one so I hope that's a sign that it's sold well. Being Lincoln born and bred, I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of shots taken in the city and appreciated Tony's tribute to that big old building on top of the hill :)

Archived