New Android app for controlling a JMRI powered layout: JMRI Controller

Over the last couple of months I have been developing an Android app for controlling JMRI. I do a lot of Android development in my day job, and my main hobby is working on my JMRI powered model railway. So for me it seemed the perfect project to combine the two.

I’ve been using the Engine Driver app for a few years now, and found it to be a pretty good wireless throttle with a lot of features. But I wanted to build something simpler that made it quicker and easier to perform the most common tasks (controlling locos and throwing turnouts). In particular I wanted:

Throttle and turnout control on the same screen.

Loco speed control somewhere within easy reach of my thumb.

An interface that scales well to 7 and 10 inch tablet screen sizes.

Anyway, I feel that the app is now ready for a beta release, so if anyone is interested, you can join the following Google+ community to get access to the beta app:

https://plus.google.com/communities/103043383838285932882

The app itself is fairly stable, but there may be crashes here occasionally, and there are definitely some bugs I haven’t fixed yet.

Here is a screenshot of how the app looks like on a phone:

Control%2Blayout.png

(There are lots more screenshots in the beta community).

In a couple of weeks I will fully launch the app on the Play Store so that anyone can download it, but for now it’s only available if you join the beta community, just in case there are any major issues.

I must mention that this app would have been impossible without the work the JMRI guys have already done with both WiThrottle and Engine Driver. To figure out the networking side of things I had to go digging into the Engine Driver source. A massive thank you to all involved!

This app will always be free, and never have ads. I’m doing this because I love railway modelling and app development.

I hope a few of you guys try out the new app and let me know what you think, either here in this thread, or in the beta community. I have lots of features planned for the future, and any ideas from users are always welcome.

Happy driving!

• Like 7

Ian,

Nice to hear it will be tested at a show! Some family of mine might be going, I can't make it this year unfortunately as I live in Sweden.

I checked the Uckfield page, I assume you are going with Santa Barbara, correct?

Would be great to get your thoughts on the app after some use at the show. Just bear in mind it is a beta, there are a few bugs I haven't found yet I'm sure.

/T

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Nice to hear it will be tested at a show! Some family of mine might be going, I can't make it this year unfortunately as I live in Sweden.

I checked the Uckfield page, I assume you are going with Santa Barbara, correct?

Would be great to get your thoughts on the app after some use at the show. Just bear in mind it is a beta, there are a few bugs I haven't found yet I'm sure.

/T

Yes its Santa Barbara.

It does look very neat and tidy.

We don't use Engine driver much although it is very good but the one thing that I don't like about it is the horizontal speed control.

Yours being vertical like Wi Throttle is to me, much more ergonomic.

Engine driver does have one good thing that the volume control on the phone can also be used for speed control. If yours doesn't then that might be something worth adding.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Looks very promising as a design.  

Another suggestion/question, to add to Ian's about volume keys,  is to whether you have been able to replicate the slider used in WiThrottle.   I think it is necessary to handle the WiThrottle App on an iOS device to appreciate its design - its by far the best screen-slider throttle I've seen on a smartphone.   The slider responds to "stroking", doesn't suddenly lurch to a new speed if you touch a different area, and (in the version with centre-off) has a distinct "click" at the zero position. 

Good ideas about the throttle - I will try and get hold of an iPhone at some point. The speed control could do with some work - there are things I like and things I don't like about it. I've also been trying to think about feedback, i.e. how can you use the speed control without having t keep looking at the screen - this is my biggest annoyance when using a smartphone as opposed to a traditional DCC controller with a physical dial and switches.

• RMweb Gold

I gave the app a brief try .

Whilst it appeared to connect to JMRI it didnt show any of our locos or turnouts (on my Galaxy S5)

We were down on our operating crew yesterday so didnt really get chance to look into these issues but will try again today and will take a tablet with me to try it on that. Will let you know how I get on.

Had a quick chat with your father aswell.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Joined and become a tester I have used the old jmri and found it difficult when connecting, I use ipods to control my layout Halland. I have a z2 phone and tablet so look forward to giving this ago on the layout, will post some feedback later in the week

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just joined and downloaded the app.

At first it seemed sluggish on the throttle - using dcc concepts decoder

I swapped to a loco with a lenz decoder and seemed a lot better. directional lighting has an immediate response.

I'm using a galaxy tab 3 7" with kitkat 4.4.2

JMRI is version 3.8

No crashes so far, will be adding all my loco to decoder pro tomorrow so will give a good test tomorrow.

edited to add JMRI Version

Edited by beejack