Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ

Can I ask what method you used to construct (and weather) the bridge in post #10 please?

I don't know if it's deliberate or accidental but your photo has cast a bit of a shadow inside, which looks more prototypical. Either way, it looks very much convincing.

Hi Derek, the top one is wills sheets and the bottom one is south eastern fine cast sheets. Both were painted in a light grey primer then dry brushed with humbrol red brick and odd bits dry brushed with a blue brick mix. Then I misted some model mates oil black die over it

Cheers Russ

BTW I finally started some construction today- only  a 2' by 1' test plank, but using the heavy framing of a larger board, as I discussed with you and others on another thread. I think I'm going to go and learn the violin instead.

I haven't got to do any bridges (apart from a concrete one later on) but I have a retaining wall and a small brick built hut to do, which I will try your technique. (unless I get on better with violin's than models!)

It will be eventually.

What I have planned is a much smaller 8 by 2 that incorporates all the aspects that Whitby will have (estuary wall, platelayer hut, grass embankment, the ever so important cinder ballast (don't start me on THAT!), water, and a GT Andrews inspired station building/ stable (a much smaller version of Whitby) and all the other little bits and pieces.

I must admit that I didn't realise just what I was setting myself up for. But I've said "I'm doing it" now and I've never backed down on anything before. At least all my research has been done. I'm just battling making reliable turnout vee's now!

I don't think there's any other hobby where you can become an architect, archeologist, geologist, mechanical engineer, electrician, civil engineer all at the same time

Is the concrete one the Whitby bypass?

• Like 1

Cheers Russ

If it looks even half as good as yours, then I'll be happy.

As for Whitby... don't take it as a "I've given up and doing something else instead." Whitby is very much still a live project. The compact version is only going to be one stage ahead of Whitby- in effect using it as an advanced trial for each stage as it's easier to correct (or cheaper perhaps) issues on a small board and NOT MAKE the mistake on the larger ones.

I learned the EASY way that my board framing isn't as easy to construct as I hoped (split levels using 3*1 timber) so I've had to re-think my methods.

Anyway, apologies- I'm pretty much hijacking your thread here.

That should be good Derek, and probably easier to achieve. Look forward to seeing it

Russ

Now that you come to make that observation, I have a confession to make.

When I first decided to do P4, I arrogantly assumed that anything P4 was going to be automatically superior to anything else. I very quickly learned that I was very wrong on that. Very wrong indeed.

There are several layouts on this forum that are in OO and you struggle to tell whether they are model or real- and I know yours isn't finished but you have already captured the look of the real thing. When you've got it finished I think that will apply to yours too.

Whilst I have seen a couple of P4 layouts that also look "is it real?" most do not. They look nice, but they don't fool you.

I have given that a lot of thought and I think that too many people modeling in P4 have gone about things in too much of a "sterile" way. That is they have got the engineering side right, but just not the artistic "look" of it. I hope that makes sense.

Even taking your bridge as an example. I've managed to build track to within 1:2500 margin of error. But I cannot make brickwork look convincing like you have done. I think in time I will get the engineering bits done, but i can see me struggling with the rest. (time to learn violin)

Are you still doing it in P4? If you are it will look streets ahead of mine for a start

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've never tried building track,I learned my brickwork technique by trial and error, the other thing I've done is paint brickwork first then rub talcum powder over it to get the mortar lines and seal with matt varnish

Trial and error..... Well I've made plenty of errors and it's been a trial.

I bought some DAS clay the other day. I tried to use some for modelling cinder ballast- it didn't work at all. No texture to it. But I'm going to try and use it to scribe a stone wall. (I'll let you know how quickly I give up on that and buy a sheet of Wills!)

I've never tried building track,I learned my brickwork technique by trial and error, the other thing I've done is paint brickwork first then rub talcum powder over it to get the mortar lines and seal with matt varnish

The problem I will have with wills is that the estuary wall tapers in at about 20 deg. from vertical, but also it's on a 10 chain curve and wills isn't the best for curving in two dimensions. (any suggestions appreciated).

Anyway, again I must apologise for hijacking your thread. I really must stop it. I'd start my own, but there's nothing to put in it yet ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Look promising - certainly has the feel of a back of the town route into the station past all the local industry (much as Norwich was like until electrification and the elimination of most of the original railway buildings and since then the redevelopment of the whole surrounding area) - just needs a high level car park overlooking the station for all the spotters to gather in :)

I too like the grain siding (maltings ?)

• RMweb Gold

Done some more work on the depot,still a few things like ballast to tidy but getting there. I put some stock on to get the feel of how it will look.

Apologies for the cleanliness of the stock its alk fresh from the box so hasn't got the details fitted

post-9362-0-94255700-1422025683_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-34948700-1422025752_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-85157100-1422025796_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-02598000-1422025797_thumb.jpg

• Like 7