Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Scott, hoping to get some work done on it soon , had intense radiotherapy last year and I'm only now getting the energy to start modelling again. Ice been buying stuff over the year so I must get cracking!

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Derek. I bought an Eastern counties base toys MW last week,it's currently downstairs with my diecast but it will be upstairs soon.

The water does seem popular, it's only PVA

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind words.

You're right about Norfolk layouts, there doesn't seem to be too many based on Norfolk. Suffolk seems more popular for some reason, could be that Suffolk doesn't have the amount of flint buildings that we have up here. AFAIK there have never been any ready to plant ones

• 2 months later...

What an absolutely marvellous layout. I used to know the area well having lived just the other side of Holt in the sixties and seventies. I can remember Holt station in its last few years of use. It's a pity the NNR couldn't get to Holt station itself and ultimately save it for posterity. Sadly it was finally demolished sometime later to make way for the Holt bypass and apparently there's a tyre depot on the site of the old goods yard now. Such is progress.

Regards, Cliff

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

Thats quite a rare picture of Holt station, it shows the signalbox which is now at Weybourne .

Incidentally this is the second Holt station the first being destroyed by fire in the mid 1920s

The NNR would like to put a line down the North side of the bypass to a new station in Holt,but I can't really see it happening

Hello Russ    I've a couple more photos in my collection. Both trackside this time. The first one I think is from just around the time of closure and the second one some years after when the main building had been demolished. If I recall correctly the old W.R. West building by this time was a wholesale grocery company and the yard contained a small shed manufacturer called Thaxters Portable Buildings. Hard to believe some 40 odd years have passed.  Regards, Cliff.

post-20296-0-16166500-1464704640.jpgpost-20296-0-08132000-1464704713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dubloseven
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Russ I've a couple more photos in my collection. Both trackside this time. The first one I think is from just around the time of closure and the second one some years after when the main building had been demolished. If I recall correctly the old W.R. West building by this time was a wholesale grocery company and the yard contained a small shed manufacturer called Thaxters Portable Buildings. Hard to believe some 40 odd years have passed. Regards, Cliff.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gif5414082260_e9047a5d76_b.jpg

Thanks Cliff excellent pictures,thaxters is still trading but from a different site, great company supplied all the wood for my layout.

I'm not sure if that is their building in the photo or the other similar one that existed on the site.

Thaxters building was sadly demolished last year and the site is supposedly becoming an aldi

I've seen similar factories on other layouts, but what techniques/kits/scratchbuilding methods did you use to make that factory? Thank you

The factories are walthers kits namely a grain store and flour mill painted with a mix of paint and talcum powder then sprayed with clear Matt varnish

Edited by russ p
  • Like 1

Hello Russ    I've a couple more photos in my collection. Both trackside this time. The first one I think is from just around the time of closure and the second one some years after when the main building had been demolished. If I recall correctly the old W.R. West building by this time was a wholesale grocery company and the yard contained a small shed manufacturer called Thaxters Portable Buildings. Hard to believe some 40 odd years have passed.  Regards, Cliff.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gif5414082260_e9047a5d76_b.jpg

I might be right at least one building associated with the station still exists, one of the warehouses? Saw it on Google maps though not sure how old the footage is.

My Pott Row layout is set for in Norfolk so that makes at least two of us!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a few Norfolk layouts but not that many.

Alas the building on Google no longer exists,that was thaxters timber merchants.

There is very little if anything on the station site to indicate it's existence now.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cley will be dismantled in the not too distant future hopefully. It will be rebuilt in a similar form but will be around four times its current size.

Improvements will be

Both legs of the triangle will be double track

More gentle curvature

Carriage sidings ( Based on Yarmouth) between platform ends and junction

Five or six platforms

35 foot open country section with just a double track railway in the scenery that will include a caravan site

Station yard and sorting yard bigger

Obviously this is all going to take time but hopefully regular updates Will be posted the building housing it is about to have it's roof fitted. The only downside is that to get planning permission I had to reduce the height so I'm a little worried that headroom maybe restricted under the eves

• Like 4

Both legs of the triangle will be double track

More gentle curvature

Carriage sidings ( Based on Yarmouth) between platform ends and junction

Five or six platforms

35 foot open country section with just a double track railway in the scenery that will include a caravan site

Station yard and sorting yard bigger

Just a small upgrade then Russ?

:O

Best of luck with it all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...