Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

I particularly like the one with the Brush 4 and railbus in the shed with the Drewry sitting outside.

I don't think anything truly says "bygone era of railways" than a depot full of locos sitting waiting for their next allocation (compared to now where the few remaining locos only ever sit on shed in exceptional circumstances- usually because the shed has gone!)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Derek

There are so few proper depots left. I've tried to make the depot one that you can work,as a lot you see modelled are all dead end roads. On mine which is called Glandford,a loco would arrive on the fuel point then carry on through after fuel for stabling or go into the main shed for repairs or an exam.

Yes, I know what you mean- it is set out as a REAL TMD would be.

I think a lot of people model a TMD (either as a whole layout or part of one) thinking that it will be really small etc. Even a relatively small stabling/ fuelling point can be quite big. I did notice that you have built it so that it "flows". If a real TMD worked the same as most models, they'd have to shunt it god knows how many times to fuel, service and park.

• RMweb Gold

I have tried to portray the depot as being a recent addition to the area by using granite ballast rather than cinder common in yards and steam sheds. So being a product of the modernisation programme it should have been designed with some thought

I would have liked a through depot but if I had done that I would have no yard at all. Its always the same when you envisage your layout you always assume you can fit Tees yard into what reality says you can build Berney Arms!!

• Like 1

I think you have achieved a good balance between putting enough into it to make it feel like a proper TMD, yet not so much that you've tried to fit in something the size of Stratford Heavy Depot into the space.

I don't really know enough about the depots to say anything more scientific than that, except to say that it looks right to me. I did in fact work briefly at a small-medium TRSMD, which was attached to a heavy (carriage) works and you really do get a sense of scale when you're walking around it... maybe several seconds going past on the train, but 10 minutes on foot from one end to the other.

• RMweb Gold

Its a 15 actually. There are 4 of them.

looking at my loco fleet,I think i need some more blue ones , looking in books blue was quite widespread in east anglia by 67. Shame there isn't much RTR pre TOPS blue available

• RMweb Gold

Done a bit more over the weekend, posed a few bits of stock and overly clean road vehicles on it. This part of the layout fills a dormer window. It's supposed to represent the remains of a branch to Blakeney which is now a siding for grain loading.

What do other people use for road markings? I have the woodland scenics pen and flexible guide but the pen seems to blot all the time

post-9362-0-98954900-1422814279_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-77715000-1422814295_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-34372600-1422814312_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I used cut vinyl road markings on North Street from an ebay seller. Top quality and easy to apply then weather, but I'm not sure apart from the odd yellow line and the white centre markings that they'd be suitable for the period.

• RMweb Gold

A few more of what will be Glandford station, apologies to any residents of the area as in the real world Glandford is a very nice sleepy hamlet in North Norfolk

Notice some joker has set the destinations on the railcar to cumbrian ones. Not totally unprototypical as when Heaton first got 156s they still had Norwich area blinds in. I remember setting one to Sheringham when working a whitby service, so I'm assuming this unit has been transferred from Carlisle

post-9362-0-07959800-1422818978_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-56151500-1422818997_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-12203900-1422819012_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-99165700-1422819021_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The next stage is to build a flint church and a coaster then form the river and landscape on the other side of river from the warfe . then there are loads of signals to make

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Church is finished, and the river bed has been stained waiting to get the coaster done before I can add the water.

Here are a few pictures of the Church, I've also posted these on the Metcalf Church thread where I have described how I made it

post-9362-0-35124600-1424369500.jpg

post-9362-0-77716100-1424369515.jpg

post-9362-0-48519700-1424369528.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Russ,

I found your thread before Christmas and then lost it  :scratchhead: - RMWeb is a big place!  To make absolutely sure I don't loose it again I have become "a Follower" so hopefully I'll keep more up to date in future  :) .

It's all looking very good Russ.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Done a bit more this evening, still have to add the water and reeds near the shore.

river bridge has now been completed and the result i wanted i have got with the church peering over the embankment

post-9362-0-25164800-1424380485_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-40830500-1424380497_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-66234700-1424380552_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-87115800-1424380576_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Like the bridge very well built the layout is really great and I am enjoying your updates.

Thanks,I was a bit unsure about using the peco girders at first but when they are painted they don't look too bad. If I had another couple of feet I would have built a swing bridge but I had to curve the bridge to make it fit