Diesel Locos in "Winter" conditions...

• RMweb Premium

This thread has reminded me of an epic trip. It was a Winter Landcruise sometime in the 1980s, probably organised by SLOA. We joined it at Crewe for the journey to Fort William where everyone would stay in hotels and B&B for one night.

As we got into the highlands, the weather turned really nasty; with very heavy snow. At one of the passing points we were held in the loop to let the snowplough pass, the only time I've seen a snowplough being used in this country. Only much later did I discover that we were the last train to get through to Fort William.

We were lucky to get there as it was so cold, the diesel fuel froze on one of the locos and the steam heating simply could not cope with temperitures so low. This resulted in the water in the carriage toilets freezing, putting all the loos out of use. So station stops to pass other trains on the single line also became loo stops - even though most stations had no toilets!

We woke up in our B&B the next morning and walked down to the station, no trains were running as the line was blocked by snow. Heroic efforts by the organisers resulted in accommodation being provided for everyone on the train for, if I remember correctly, an extra two nights. We made sure we drank the next hotel dry before returning to the one we were staying in.

I do remember ringing work, 'sorry, but I will not be in today as I'm snowed in at Fort William'.

Eventually we were taken by road to Oban where a scratch rake of (i think) four MK1's was waiting to take railtour participants back as far as Glasgow. As the railtour was probably 10 - 12 coaches, getting everyone into 4 was quite a squeeze, I remember standing for all of the 7 hours journey (but with a open window to hear the locos). At one passing station we were not allowed out of the train as the station canopy was unsafe because of the weight of snow on it.

At Glasgow we just made the Euston sleeper, but it was so full I slept on the floor under the seats. We did have a 47 at the front, pulling something like 17 coaches, too many for it to heat, so it was a pretty cold journey. It was diverted via the Glasgow & South Western route and it was daylight when we alighted at Crewe.

Somewhere I've got some cine film of the trip!

• 1 month later...

Archived