Hilux5972

Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

BR 4705 arrived curtesy of the Royal Mail undamaged and all parts correct and in place except !!! The pony wheel axle was half detached from the truck, a common occurrence looking at previous posts but easily rectified . Really makes you wonder how this happens! Certainly not in transit. Otherwise pleased with the Night Owl. Which leads me to comment on the name following earlier discussions on the name. I have a friend in Plymouth who was at Laira back around 1960 so when Heljan first announced that they were going to produce the Night Owl, I mentioned to him that I was looking forward to a 4700. He immediately responded 'Night Owl' so was in use at Laira.

• Like 3

In case anyone was thinking of not buying one of these brilliant models.....

unedited

post-7929-0-74345200-1535347557_thumb.jpg

nice bit of late winter sunshine, NZ.

cheers

• Like 10

Thanks for the comments. The problem does not seem to be on the transition so I am not sure if there is a "rigidity" problem but will check later. I must admit I was wondering if it might improve with running - I did give it some time on a rolling road but the temptation to hang a train on the back was difficult to resist, I will give it a longer light engine run in before considering return. Once again thanks for suggestions and comments.

Trev

Well I have given the loco a lot more light engine running, and just loosened the drawbar a tad. It seems to have settled down and is handling my normal loads O.K. I have managed to lose the chimney top 3 times now so it has Benin fixed solid!

Thanks for the various comments.

Trev

I know people don't like too many of my edited pics which are 'not about modelling', many complain, apparently, to Andy Y, or say they block my posts, so in view of the latter this won't appear and sully their serious modelling experience, and to the former, I apologise and hope you will show some patience with me.

cctransuk (John Isherwood) said my pictures were basically me just showing off, 'look what I've done'...  but not about modelling, which is true inasmuch I think the Heljan RTR 00 Class 47XX model makes a very nice scene.  And I do enjoy showing the model off.

Camera is a point-and shoot Canon SX150is ISO80 f8, 0.6 secs, edited with PSP6 software. Very little indeed done to the model itself, will remove if asked.

post-7929-0-99916900-1535496139_thumb.jpg

What a stunning machine, how well I remember seeing heavy steam in its heyday, in dramatic evening light!

If you prefer you can have a clean 47XX as Coachman would perhaps (or not) approve....  on a sunny summer Saturday in the late-'50s with some excess stock used for intensive workings to the west...

post-7929-0-80023000-1535498164_thumb.jpg

cheers

p.s. here below are two versions of Heljan's 47XX photos taken in similar light with same camera Canon EOS-M with 18-55mm lens set to about 45mm, aperture priority at f29, 8-13 secs, ISO100.

Shows the difference in the GW green post war and the lined BR green, somewhat...

post-7929-0-53536400-1535509592_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-21090200-1535509644_thumb.jpg

Not purely scientific but possibly a guide to the vexed subject of GW greens.  The last pic of 4707 was a model just arrived today, usual front axle needed re-fitting, and injector pipe from under driver's side cab loose in packaging, 'otherwise fine', just like English summer weather. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 16

Keep posting the pics Rob, even with it's minor faults I still like Heljans attempt at the class, lightly weathered yes, I can't say that I ever saw one really dirty as Old Oak tended to treat them as 'pets', they were loathed to let 4701 & 4704 go as they seemed to be held in the scrap line for months before leaving. No idea why some should be 'vexed', green came in a myriad of shades something to do with not being a primary, and a sensitive colour to light perhaps. Rtr - modelling there's an irony somewhere ??

Edited by bike2steam

Keep posting the pics Rob, even with it's minor faults I still like Heljans attempt at the class, lightly weathered yes, I can't say that I ever saw one really dirty as Old Oak tended to treat them as 'pets', they were loathed to let 4701 & 4704 go as they seemed to be held in the scrap line for months before leaving. No idea why some should be 'vexed', green came in a myriad of shades something to do with not being a primary, and a sensitive colour to light perhaps. Rtr - modelling there's an irony somewhere ??

Thanks, I was going to entitle this pic of a post-WW2 GWR 47XX 'Make way for the King' but it leaves too much room for bad puns. :)

This is a TMC-weathered 4707.  As to the various shades of Brunswick green to be seen on BR, they were indeed many. Quite expensive for me to buy but I knew they wouldn't weather a 'bad 'un'.

Photos in web searches and in books show 47XXs in what might be termed 'light weathering', which is what you would expect, but some in late BR days and also some in the 40s looked distinctly uncleaned to me.  Plenty of room to choose even heavy weathering, although not perhaps the so-called 'end-of-life' style we saw at the end of both SR and WR steam for Standard classes in particular.

Anyway, it was an impressive engine and all power to the 4709 Trust, I must see how that build is coming along.

I always liked the pictures of engines which were being serviced...   fires dropped, smokeboxes emptied, and so on, or in this case raising steam after being lit up.  Very little done to the photo of the model, mostly just blending background. Canon EOS-M 18-55mm lens at 48mm, 13 secs at f29 ISO100 , zone focussed, daylight from adjacent window plus 40w reading lamp.. Edited using PSP6 software.

post-7929-0-72719200-1535578520_thumb.jpg.

reminds me of the days I spent hanging around engine sheds with my 'Agfa Clack'...  I am not old enough to have seen a GWR 47XX though!

will remove if asked

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

It seems like Heljan can get lining right as shown on their O gauge 61XX which has noticeably more orange lining especially on the cylinders.

post-34820-0-11441000-1535647417.png

compared to the 47XX

post-34820-0-88505500-1535647404.png

Edited by JamieR4489
  • Like 2

I think the scale does help the 61xx but there still appears to be a colour difference between the two.

I think the scale does help the 61xx but there still appears to be a colour difference between the two.

Different cameras, different light, different post-shot editing, different scales....

Only side-by-side in one shot would show difference, and even that's difficult with typical cameras, and lighting, with two models.

No need to be sorry, everyone gets to give their view, especially DON'T MENTION GWR GREEN    :)

Edit; actually your two photos posted are very good and give a very good idea of what the two models look like, as studio photos go. Pity Heljan didn't have a good one of the BR 47XX  from the word go.

Edited by robmcg

Based on a picture in the Great Western Society 4709 page, it's the Heljan model with a few slight edits...  grateful acknowledgements to the photographer and the Society. Primarily its the smokebox front and stays adapted, all else is pretty much exactly the model. Oh, and I coloured it in, as it were.

The original photo showed all the skills of the old large format film photographers, the difficulties in 'stopping' the train, achieving depth of field, and so on. People have it too easy these days! :)  The original was of an unknown 47XX before 1930. Small tender, high top front lamp.

magnificent engines these, and very fine models in my humble opinion

post-7929-0-96895300-1536378469_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 11

That is one superb picture Rob. I'm amazed how you do it!

I was so impressed with my BR Green model that I thought I would purchase 4706 in BR Black.  Three models later (plus over half a day of fettling) I have a nearly very good model.

29509622927_8846883c0f_b.jpg

Heljan 4706 BR Black 'Night Owl'

44398370272_8dd5b75f8b_b.jpg

BR Green left, Br Black right

http://youtu.be/Sok2wILhmGE

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

4706 looks great.

But big black locos really highlight the substitution of maroon for proper a Carmine finish on the coaches.

Some edited pics of three versions of Heljan't 'Night Owl'; pristine 4706 BR Black, Rails lightly-weathered BR lined green 4705 and TMC-weathered G W 4707.   I so like these models!

post-7929-0-44483900-1536375275_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-58446700-1536375298_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-89945200-1536385783_thumb.jpg

Gives an idea of the various ways these models can look, very little done to the appearance of the actual models with editing. I have bought a second 4706 to weather.

cheers, will remove if asked.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

.... cheers, will remove if asked.

Why would anybody want these removed? They are very enjoyable to view!

Why would anybody want these removed? They are very enjoyable to view!

Large numbers of serious modellers, notably several very prominent RMweb contributors, don't like my pics in the context of information about models.   In 2014 Andy Y asked me to stop putting edited pics up in ordinary product threads, he wrote that he had received more complaints about my pics than anything else on RMweb.  Recently the same serious modellers expressed their dislike, and that I should have dedicated thread for modified photos, which I have never done, nor do I recall ever committing to do.. I said I would consider something.

For what it's worth I have a Facebook page with a couple of thousand followers, and curiously in four years I don't think I've received a single complaint other than the odd correction to fact or typo.

Each to their own

A lot of people I suspect steer clear of this site because of a kind of bullying feeling, certainly many new contributors phrase things in apologetic tone, but it is a marvellous resource and funded by BRM and Andy and others' work.

Moving quickly along, I truly admire the Heljan 47XX in spite of its propensity to loose bit in transit, and the long list of possible or actual faults so usefully compiled by Stationmaster, 'washout plugs possibly not quite right' and similar errors, but finding faults is what people like to do.

cheers

• Like 1

Large numbers of serious modellers, notably several very prominent RMweb contributors, don't like my pics in the context of information about models.  

A friend of mine, a professional model maker, has always insisted the reason he doesn't get invited to some shows is because certain club members are jealous of his work. I've always doubted his claim, but knowing some people, I'm coming round to understanding it!!??

Two pictures which might be instructive.

Night Owl and Abergavenny Castle - contrasting greens.

post-9031-0-07544000-1536682684_thumb.jpg

Look what came out of the Hornby box - so similar to Heljan?

post-9031-0-69655100-1536682709_thumb.jpg

Yes the smokebox dart, and the centre lamp iron from the rear of the tender.  A good couple of hours and they are all glued back on.

Ray

• Like 1

Two pictures which might be instructive.

Night Owl and Abergavenny Castle - contrasting greens.

attachicon.gifDSC00930.JPG

Look what came out of the Hornby box - so similar to Heljan?

attachicon.gifDSC00909.JPG

Yes the smokebox dart, and the centre lamp iron from the rear of the tender.  A good couple of hours and they are all glued back on.

Ray

Seems a very common occurrence, the darts and small parts being vulnerable. I'd still rather have them on the model or at least in the box than moulded-on, except where moulded-on is indistinguishable.  I observe that Bachmann tend to put a lot of parts in an accessory bag for the owner to fit. When I was younger and took great eyesight and deft hands for granted, I would have enjoyed fitting them, nowadays it's a bit more of a challenge!.

I think the pale greens on several GWR engines by Hornby are clearly a bit light for a clean engine, but the photos I've seen published and on line suggest to me that lighting and grime could bring about something lighter than the deep lustrous Brunswick green on, for instance, some Bachmann engines, you cannot please everyone.

In particular it's hard for modern cameras to please everyone with their default colour characteristics/sensors. That's why I have never understood why editing a pic is so frowned-upon, albeit I sometimes draw and paint things on, being too clumsy and lazy to glue things on, which is different from say just editing false skies, but being absolutely honest about the rest of a photo.  For me the simplest thing is to simply say that a photo is edited, or not, the latter being an odd thing rather meaningless thing where you have 'set' the aperture and other settings, and perhaps stack-focused and cropped it, and changed the colour balance, tone, contrast, brightness and so on, but it is not 'edited'....    confused?  I am.  :)

btw that's lovely lighting and colour in the 47XX and Castle pic above.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Finally got my act together.

post-9031-0-74716400-1537210235_thumb.jpg

post-9031-0-23821700-1537210269_thumb.jpg

247 plates (and blackened wheel centres). It is all a bit of a compromise. Must write a Blog Post about it. 4706 plates were supplied black and I recoloured them red.

Cheers Ray

• Like 6