Dettingen GCR might have been layout

7 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Richard,

I look forward to seeing (some/most of?) them running here next Monday afternoon - and the Barnums. Bring suitable locos too.

Keith

Barnums if I remember, these may be a few more weeks as they are no where near able to run even in the raw state.  Would an A5 do for motive power or a D10/ D11 or B2. Taking requests. 
richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, billbedford said:

Richard

I don't know if you've seen this, It may help. 

gcr_fk_51266_swb_1333_800_72s.jpg

Note that the beading on the lower panels is not the same as on the D&S kits. 

I have seen several references to the lower panelling being altered on these carriages but so far I have failed to find out what sort of dates this alteration was carried out.

Is there anybody out there who knows?

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have seen several references to the lower panelling being altered on these carriages but so far I have failed to find out what sort of dates this alteration was carried out.

Very early, I think. 

There is a photo of a 5-car Parker set headed by Atlantic 260. So the photo is post 1906. 

The carriages all have the modified beading, original MS&L axleboxes and the brown and grey livery. Since this livery was replaced by the later brown and cream in 1903/4 the inference is that they must have been shopped for the new beading before 1903. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, billbedford said:

Richard

I don't know if you've seen this, It may help. 

gcr_fk_51266_swb_1333_800_72s.jpg

Note that the beading on the lower panels is not the same as on the D&S kits. 

I had not, thank you. It looks like the corridor full first. I get better at identifying these carriages, the more I have to handle them. Mine have original beading so will be in French grey and brown livery. Mine also have gas tanks not battery boxes, so that also pushes me to an earlier date. All images are helpful. I have just spotted the little step on the buffer stocks end. To aid fitting lamps? Not that the gcr seemed all that fussed on that, the barnum open third does not seem to have anyway to get on to the roof to fill the water tank. 
many thanks

richard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I agree with Bill, it was definitely in gcr days but when exactly I am not sure. 
richard

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Very early, I think. 

There is a photo of a 5-car Parker set headed by Atlantic 260. So the photo is post 1906. 

The carriages all have the modified beading, original MS&L axleboxes and the brown and grey livery. Since this livery was replaced by the later brown and cream in 1903/4 the inference is that they must have been shopped for the new beading before 1903. 

Many thanks for that. My period is 1907 give or take, so I can go for modified panelling safe in the knowledge that some, if not all, were altered by then.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2020 at 19:04, richard i said:

Next project and a question. 
first the gcr buffet carriage. Possibly the best looking carriage ever. 
6ADB39E3-F719-4FDB-913A-9A5A831AE3B9.jpeg.0c7a84b59c3bbf7a43eb6a19d0232b13.jpeg

However the catering stock was different.

993422A0-3310-4221-841D-3641B4B286AB.png.807b137696fbbcb409e49c0e29efbe1f.png

question: does anyone know of a kit for these or are they joining the scratch building list?

Richard 

I have just taken delivery of a body/roof/ends etch from Worsley Works for the Kitchen Car which forms part of the set with this vehicle. The 1st and 3rd Dining Saloons to make the three car dining set are in the pipeline.

To save scratchbuilding the bogies, I am going to sort out and send off a drawing off to see about having some etches done. Unless anybody knows of a suitable existing source. I have some of the Andy Gibbs/D & S bogies but I also have the kits that they came with, so they are not really spare! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have just taken delivery of a body/roof/ends etch from Worsley Works for the Kitchen Car which forms part of the set with this vehicle. The 1st and 3rd Dining Saloons to make the three car dining set are in the pipeline.

To save scratchbuilding the bogies, I am going to sort out and send off a drawing off to see about having some etches done. Unless anybody knows of a suitable existing source. I have some of the Andy Gibbs/D & S bogies but I also have the kits that they came with, so they are not really spare! 

If you get an etch done I would be interested in some. Can’t have enough 8ft Parker bogies. Other than the d&s bogie I do not know of another source, though Bill showed a cad of the robinson equivalent so I don’t know if that is available. If you are doing it, I have ideas on simplifying the spring arrangement and cross strut from the building of the 14 recent ones. Happy to share views.

richard

• Like 1

Springs done. Only about half were in the kits so had to make parts for the other half. 
CB289F3E-069A-46C0-B897-BE86F495F055.jpeg.ac217a21116556730d0df1f7f3e00a33.jpeg

I have all the brakes I need so that should be quicker.

good to meet up with friends at the club finally and give the Barnums a test run to prove they work. 
richard 

• Like 4

Good to see you as well Richard. You answered Keith's requests and more with the railcar and 2-4-0T.

They all looked very good in the flesh and worked fine. Well done!

Bring some works in progress next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Then suddenly things jump forwards. Some jobs take a time, others seem to be major but take little time.

after fiddling and making the spring assembly, fitting it was a matter of a few minutes.

54AE299D-EE83-45C0-AFCC-4EC59A2CAD9F.jpeg.e0703a3c5651a8bf0a3982193b9fab30.jpeg

the test is whether the home made springs can be spotted in amongst the kit supplied ones. 
next up brakes. That should be quick. I have enough of those. 
Richard 

(spelt with a capital R to keep Jim happy.)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

..... and here's a few photos

IMG_20200720_154705_2.jpg

IMG_20200720_154838_3.jpg

IMG_20200720_155021.jpg

IMG_20200720_155024_3.jpg

Thanks for posting these, I tried to work out how to shift the video I took off my phone. Still not worked it out. 
the director has yet again had the cab jump out of its slot in a photo.

i can bring other stuff next week as promised. 
Richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2020 at 14:01, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi Richard,

Great to see you yesterday and to see what you've achieved. I've made this short video on Youtube - a first for me!!

It's taken me all morning so I hope it's worth it.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith 

Have you been doing things in the club room? 

Richard's trains do look good. 

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Keith 

Have you been doing things in the club room? 

Richard's trains do look good. 

Only running trains, watching from outside. The meeting takes place in the open air, socially distancing.

As for the comment on the trains, thanks. People were polite about them, but I know where the bodges are so think they are just layout coaches, done they way they were a cheaper way to get what I wanted than going down the kit route. 
Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 1

Yes Clive,

As Richard has already said, we are  holding our meetings in the garden in the open but running trains which can be viewed with the double doors open at the back of the garage. This works ok while the weather permits.

We're looking forward to seeing what Richard is going to bring next week. Hope you can join us sometime.

You will recognize the faces in the picture below which was taken the previous week before the schools broke up so Richard wasn't there.

Cheers

Keith00001XTR_00003_BURST20200706151251.jpg.0d944bda33491ee7903cb4ad775f42c3.jpg

• Like 2

Springs built. 
BCE77732-C946-498D-99E9-26598947A5D2.jpeg.f48ee79dcaa819dd63a306cd9cf6c067.jpeg

Not as accurate with a thread where the spring is, I could have cut some screws to size, but decided that these would be more secure. Better to have a less detailed part fitted than a more detailed part which has been lost to the mouths of the floor monster. I also measured for the axle boxes incase I need to make a couple of those. Perhaps not for this build, but future ones might need a number built. 
time to put them together and get them all soldered/ glued on. 

richard 

• Like 2