How to fill 6 wheel milk tank

Martyboy

Hello all,

I have some of the new Dapol o gauge 6 wheel milk tankers. I have built a dairy but I am having trouble finding any decent photographs of the filling apparatus.

I have some grainy pics of inverted L shaped posts supporting small pipes, not sure if these are for cleaning or filling. There seems to be no flexible hosing.

Thank you

Martin

post-22732-0-87671000-1417547019.jpg

post-22732-0-29002800-1417547034.jpg

post-22732-0-08082700-1417547047.jpg

In the middle picture there seems to be something being poured into the tank.  The other two nozzles are also flowing into the bay.  Surely that is wash fluid - water?  I can't imagine milk being poured away.

The name board is Torrington I think.  Some more pictures here:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/torrington/index4.html

More here: http://www.semgonline.com/location/torrington_01.html

There's even a model:  http://www.modelrailways.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=583

John 

Hi

The milk tanker where cleaned from the top as in the photo showing the pipe flowing on to the track, this had to be done after the milk tankers where loaded to wash away any milk that had got on to the concrete.

Filling of milk tankers was done from the bottom end of the tanker, if you look at the model of one you can see the pipe work.

Tanker had to be loaded this way as to stop the milk from curdling, The building in the photo had a pump in side and the tank lorries would pull up and contact to the small box on the outside, this then was pumped through into the building, which had two large tanks to hold the milk.

Pipe would then be taken from these tanks and connected to the end of the milk tanker, with each tanker connected together.

Once all the milk had been loaded, all the pipe work that had been used had to be wash and sterilized, ready for the next load.

The chap in the white coat worked for the Dairy, as this work was done by them.

I have include a better photo for you

Hope this helps

Darren

post-6929-0-52749800-1417575032.png

post-6929-0-71788600-1417575141.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have made the washing out line. Now I need to make the milk filling up side, mounted on the platform as in pic.

Where can I purchase 0 gauge pipe and fittings. I can find copper, brass and plastic tube but it will kink if I try to bend it.

Also I would like to find fittings such as manifolds and pipe/hose connectors.

I have tried to add pics of what I have done but files are too large. How can I adapt?post-22732-0-78187100-1419428294_thumb.jpg

Marty, a trick I saw in a program on making brass instruments is they stop tubing from kinking when bending by filling the tube with wax.  Perhaps inserting some plastic rod, or similar into the tube might stop kinking.  I've no idea if this will work, it's just a suggestion.

John

Archived