The H&BLR - SM32 Narrow Gauge in the Garden (Coarse Scale 'O' Gauge) & SM32 Related Workshop Thread

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

I thought that, as there are a few projects on the workbench for the Hobbiton and Bree Light Railway (H&BLR), I would start a Thread about all things H&BLR (the layout and any residual SM32 model-making).

It was, ironically the H&BLR that turned me onto larger scale modelling and in particular 7mm FS modelling (which now seems to take up all my spare-time).

Having mentioned the above, such is not strictly true as, many years ago (more than I care to mention and scarily more than I care to remember) a school friend (Alistair 'P') and I built a small,  'large scale' diorama, consisting of a Loco and Engine Shed (and associated servicing facilities) all built in card, scrap and wood to narrow gauge outline. The diorama was entered into a modelling competition, which we were lucky enough to win, and I was able to accept the prize on our behalf, from the Reverend W. Awdry . Since that time I had always had more than a passing interest in all things Narrow Gauge and numerous trips to North and Mid Wales reinforced that interest - along with Father's too. The ethos behind our diorama, was carried over, some twenty or so years later, into the H&BLR and I have Alistair to thank for sparking such a lifelong interest (Alistair was clearly ahead of the game with his interest in NG, because, back then, NG, was still somewhat esoteric in its nature, even though the UK NG movement had led the way with the likes of the Talyllyn Railway et al).

I was also inspired to start the Thread due to a nice Resin van kit (a 'Chrimbo' present for my Dad a year or two back - how time flies!) which I have started to work on - again - in the last few months whilst waiting for glue/paint to dry on my 7mm work - more to follow on that front in due course.

I hope to provide the 'history' of the line in due course too, suffice to say the H&BLR is a fun and light-hearted take on railway modelling in SM32, something we like to call 'Caricature Modelling' , a small garden railway, owned, operated and built by, virtually the whole family really, although by and large, it is Dad's railway!

The H&BLR is a preserved and restored line, based in the present day, or near present day, and so there are only a few glimpses of the H&BLR's past and indeed the ancient past of the locale. :derisive:  :) 

Needless to say that we all enjoy modelling the 'narrow way.'

In the meantime here are some photos of the H&BLR - I hope that you enjoy them.

ATVB

CME.

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2010-2014 etc

post-11256-0-07166400-1417610354.jpg

post-11256-0-73917600-1417610379.jpg

post-11256-0-74408600-1417610404.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 14

Very nice, more please. :)

Hi Switcher,

Many thanks for that - much appreciated!

The first photo is of 'Sir Lancelot' and 'Guinevere' alone on shed at Westwick Lodge Works - that's how the problems started LOL!

The second photo, is an interesting one, by a good friend of mine (thanks Martyn) - and used with his kind permission - with locos ('Guinevere' and 'Green Knight') on shed viewed in the near distance, via the Engine Shed itself.

Most of the locos are named after Arthurian characters with the exception of 'Black Rider'  - which was named at the request of my nephew, this little Pt Way machine was purchased part-built and after fettling and detailing by me, it became my nephew's loco (but as an adult sadly he never followed the faith and gave up on model railways) - and 'Toby'. 'Toby' was named after two, dear and much missed, friends, who have sadly, passed over.

With kind regards,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer and/or used with permission 2010-2014 etc

post-11256-0-35837400-1417613980.jpg

post-11256-0-04153400-1417614016.jpg

• Like 14

On 03/12/2014 at 14:46, PaulRhB said:

Looks very good and I like the rail motor and little tractor. Any wider shots of the line or a plan?

Hi Paul,

Thanks also.

The Rail Motor, 'No. 9 'Sir Tristram', is scratch-built from card (the centres of card mounts as used by picture framers) and other basic materials by our late friend Bernard Seymour. 'No. 4 'Black Rider' was purchased second-hand part built from Plastikard (with a Faller mechanism), the detailing and weathering are by yours truly.

A Little Local History Behind No. 4

The H&BLR's reason for naming No. 4, this 'useful Pt Way machine', 'Black Rider' is due to the fact the being an 0-4-0, it's riding characteristics leave a lot to be desired and are often enough to remove one's fillings in one trip! It gained formal nameplates, after 'Black Rider' was, initially, just chalked upon it's flanks. Originally No. 4 was the brainchild and thus pet project of the H&BLR's CME, Mr. W. Itchking and when he saw the chalk-marked name on No. 4's flanks, he was about to blow a fuse, whereby one quick witted employee piped up and said that No.4 was named after a local legend relating to a 'Black Knight' and that staff thought that this little 'in-house' marvel should have a proper name. As Mr. W. Itchking's ego is fairly large and he seemed unaware of the local - esoteric - legends (even those relating to his own bloodline!), he thought that a proper name and nameplates would be a grand idea and he thus declared that permanent plates should be made for the little beastie. So with full pomp and fanfare there was a formal naming ceremony, directors, directors' wives, local dignitaries, slap up meal, the lot - all, very much, to the the amusement of the H&BLR staff!

The stock on the H&BLR is a mixture of kit-built, scratch-built, RTR and second-hand.

Sorry no wider-shot photos at present, I do have a track-plan (somewhere), yet as it was published (in a similar formats) in two magazines, I shall have to seek their permission to publish here (a bit of a grey area as my plan is similar but not as published), in the meantime, here are some more photos.

My old 'Avatar', No. 10 'Green Knight', shunting at Hobbiton Goods Shed - paused for me to photograph.

The second photo, although, relatively speaking a much smaller gauge in terms of the prototype, a very similar ethos to the H&BLR, in that all the locos are kept in perfect order for the benefit of visitors and tourists - the Perrygrove railway's 'Spirit of Adventure'.

Kindest,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2000-2014

post-11256-0-30953400-1417618315.jpg

post-11256-0-22051100-1417618577_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Love the photos CME - great to see some more SM32 on here! Very nice locos and stock - any chance of some more information on the track plan, per Paul's post above?

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am awaiting replies from the two mags re copyright etc as to whether or not I can Post the Track-plan (I also have to try and find the original too!)  ;)  :)

Here are a couple more photos though (I hope that they portray the sort of atmosphere that we are aiming for with the H&BLR).

The first photo is of 'Ursula' on the Perrygrove - in immaculate condition.

The second photo is of, 'No. 17 Dragon' in 'photographic grey', as you can tell 'Dragon' is a 'Garratt' and on a run-round movement, on a damp day in Autumn, not easy at Hobbiton with other trains and locos in section. Hobbiton, whilst being a junction station, is compact and bijou to say the least. This loco was acquired by the H&BLR upon the takeover of the 'Bree Light Railway' (BLR) and it was felt fitting to preserve the loco in it's original livery. 

Once again this loco is made from card by Bernard Seymour (Father was lucky enough to purchase, over a period of time, such models from Bernard and many a pleasant afternoon was spent chatting with Bernard at his home, at garden railway meets, or at shows. Bernard was a prolific modeller of SM32 as well as RC aircraft, and, thrown into the mix was also 7mm and other scales and gauges. Father bought his models when Bernard had finished playing with them and wanted to build something different). 

Hope that you enjoy them - in haste.

Kindest

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2009-2014 etc

post-11256-0-21734400-1417703172_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-83431400-1417703208.jpg

• Like 8

very nice, sadly though the heywood stuff is no longer at Perrygrove

HI SD,

Thanks for the kind words.

I seem to remember that 'Ursula' was visiting when I photoed the Heywood stock at Perrygrove (I seem to remember that the shed to the left housed some Heywood stock though), yet I havent been able to get there for a couple of years so...thanks for the update.

Here is a quick photo of 'No.15 Camelot' pausing during a run-round movement at Hobbiton station.

Dad likes his locos all 'spit and polish', military style, and as the H&BLR is modelled as a preserved/restored line - which still hauls some freight - Dad's wishes fit in with the overall ethos very well. I have however lighting weathered certain locos and 'Camelot' is one of them (albeit still crying out for some sort of livery enhancement and some paint on those coupling rod screws etc etc) - this process for locos is on-going, even if its just flatting glossy roofs and/or smokeboxes etc. We weather - more heavily - the Goods stock, but the amount of time that Down Ampney is taking has meant that the H&BLR has been a bit neglected in this regard of late. Recently several of the live steam locos have been overhauled in terms of a few tweaks here and there and new rechargeable batteries etc replaced.

I hope to Post some details of the line's 'history' when I Post next.

In haste.

ATVB

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2005-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-72086500-1417775330.jpg

• Like 10

Hi CME.

I have just picked up your thread and I really like what I see. Good work and a most attractive roster of locos. Keep up the good work.

I too would like to see a track plan and some wider shots.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Nice to hear from you, many thanks - working on getting the track-plan on here.

In terms of the wider shots that may have to wait till Spring/Summer as it's a small part of the garden it is hard to get wider shots (IIRC my Mum took a photo from the bedroom window, not sure if it was a digital photo or not - so I will progress that in due course too). In addition, I endeavoured, when designing the layout, to have it viewed as individual 'vignettes'. Originally the layout was designed to be operated from the middle (operating well), until the nieces, nephews/grandchildren thought that lifting the Brandywine Bridge was a fun thing to do, with a train in section! So the bridge was bolted down and has stayed that way ever since LOL!

Thanks for looking.

Kindest,

CME 

In the meantime....

Here is a photo of No.11 Guinevere working hard up the grade from Hobbiton to Westwick Lodge Works Halt (or 'Westwick' for short as the platform isnt long enough for the full title!).

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2009-2014 etc

post-11256-0-56889000-1417825919.jpg

• Like 12

Hi All,

Thanks for the 'Likes'. :good:

Whilst I await the track-plan issue and I transfer some more photos of the H&BLR from another PC etc. - here is a nice little diesel loco ('Jubilee') I photographed on the Perrygrove and an atmospheric shot (for modelling inspiration etc.) from Alan Keef's. Both taken on a wonderfully warm and sunny pre-autumn day, the photos bring the atmosphere back to me really well  :)

On Down Ampney I hope to have the NG tracks buried in sand/grass just like those at Alan Keef's.

Kindest,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2009-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-15923500-1417883267_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-10753500-1417883301_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi All,

A few more photos for you - some infrastructure and general autumn railway atmosphere.

The halt, is 'Westwick Lodge Works Halt' or 'Westwick' for short (the platform isnt long enough for the full name!)

Kind regards,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2005-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-02302700-1418154891_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-48361000-1418154928_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-27948500-1418154956_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely shots of the track and station - beautifully atmospheric. Love the crest too - reminds me that I need to finalise the artwork for the crests for my own SM32 WHR (that's the little-known Wantage and Hendred Railway, not the slightly larger operation in Snowdonia). Thanks for the posts - loving them!

David

• Like 1

Lovely shots of the track and station - beautifully atmospheric. Love the crest too - reminds me that I need to finalise the artwork for the crests for my own SM32 WHR (that's the little-known Wantage and Hendred Railway, not the slightly larger operation in Snowdonia). Thanks for the posts - loving them!

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the kind words, I am so glad that you are enjoying the Thread.

I like railway infrastructure and looking at rolling stock - even though locos are the 'glamour queens', so I endeavour to recreate such in miniature whenever I can (I have loved it when I have stumbled across an old/preserved/restored line and 'discovered' an item or two of old stock or even just a pair of rails heading off, half buried in the grass, into the near distance - I felt that way when I first saw the Corris and Tallylyn et al.)

The Crest could do with a few more tweaks and needs to be converted into more transfers etc. (which when miniaturised will probably make any tweaks virtually invisible).

My 7mm work is taking so long that I/we have neglected the H&BLR a little (as with any layout there is still much to do - yet the line is 'substantially complete') - looking forward to next Spring though.

Have you a Link for your line?

Kind regards,

CME

Just before signing off...

A visiting - autumn gala-day - loco from the LVLR charges the bank out of Hobbiton with a special, on a decidedly damp day with much 'slipping' apparent (hope the HMRI dont notice the lack of a lamp!). This lovely little loco belongs to Malcolm Morgan (LVLR).

Kind regards,

CME

Photograph is the copyright of the Author and Photographer, by kind permission, R.J. Cooke 2003-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-11746700-1418163510_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this thread, what a beautiful railway you have and it's always good to see more garden railways on RMWeb. I love the railbus and your Green Knight looks great, shame Cheddar aren't around any more.

On 10/12/2014 at 08:27, LH&JC said:

Only just found this thread, what a beautiful railway you have and it's always good to see more garden railways on RMWeb. I love the railbus and your Green Knight looks great, shame Cheddar aren't around any more.

Hi LH&JC, :)

Thanks so much for the kind words, they make it all worthwhile - the H&BLR, although dad's railway, has been a family railway from day one, with many hands helping in the build, yet the credit for the driving force behind it, has to go to my mum and dad (I have of course been heavily involved and I designed/planed most aspects as well as dealing the technical side in the early days - mind you dad is a good mechanic/has a mechanical and engineering background too so credit where credit is due). We have been lucky enough to use the H&BLR to raise funds for charity on many occasions too. The line seems to have developed a life of it's own over the years, something we never realised could happen. :imsohappy:  :dancing:  :)

Both of our lines have been inspired by the late Jack Ray and the late Rev Peter Denny (their take on garden railways was a really big inspiration to me).

Our 7mm garage-garden-garage line is taking an age to build and the kind words here and going back over our photos of the H&BLR has really inspired us for the Spring (the H&BLR wasnt run much in 2013/2014).

I love the Railbus too (or is it a steam-motor - I am never quite sure??), it has been fettled a little for the H&BLR, yet it was ably built by our friend, the late, Bernard Seymour.

Yes you are right, Cheddar made some great locos, we have had three, our first, was their 'Iver' class, which was, initially, a little problematic as it used their steam motor technology from their boat engines (with oscillating cylinders), Cheddar were very supportive and with theirs/our fettling and some super-detailing by yours truly, it was a nice little loco - then dad decided to sell it to fund a.n.other loco (just as I had it running as sweet-as-a-nut!). Then came a Cheddar 'Samson' class loco (our No. 10 Green Knight), which I have super-detailed etc. After which dad purchased a Cheddar 'Henschel' which I have partially fettled (dad wanted the brass-work left 'bright' but I was just about to blacken such out so as to make the loco look like a restored Feldbahn loco). Both run really well, Green Knight uses the older, lighter springs, so is a little more 'bouncy/pitchy' in terms of ride quality and operation (we had hoped to secure some of the later, thus firmer springs, yet sadly we were too late to get them from Cheddar), the 'Henschel' has them and rides superbly. These locos are really well put together with stainless steel valve/coupling gear etc. etc. they run great, straight of the box and with a few miles and hours on them they get even better with age. I have heard rumours that the company (Stewart Turner?) who has the rights and some spares was going back into manufacturing the range plus new models - IIRC I may have seen a re-issue of 'Iver' a year or two back? - but all seems quiet on that front at the moment.

I hope to Post some more photos in the next day or two.

Thanks again for looking and Posting.

Kind regards,

CME :)

Hi Everyone,

As requested, here is my original track plan - the layout was built almost as intended (there was a few minor alterations along the way).

The layout is approximately 18" above ground level and is 'modelled' akin to sections of the Tallylyn, Ffestiniog and Vale of Rheidol in that the trains are running on a raised 'shelf' in amongst the tree and 'mountain' tops, having climbed to this level 'off stage'. I did suggest that the layout was built at a greater height, so as to aid live steam operations, yet the planning committee rejected this idea as it would impact, too much, upon the 'look' of the garden. In hindsight if the layout had been taller, with the subsequent verdant growth, would have been an advantage for ease of use, with dodgy knees and backs - the 'scenery' would have hidden the posts, boards etc. All the baseboards are mounted on box steel posts (with an 8" plate welded atop), the boards themselves are nothing more sophisticated than 18mm WBP Ply, which has had additional treatments of Wickes (wax preservative). To date the boards have been up 12 years or so without problems (unlike the outdoor boards on Down Ampney, which despite better engineering fell apart due to poor quality materials being sold to us as premium quality).

Kind regards,

CME

Track-plan drawing and photography is the copyright of the author of this Post 2002-2014 etc

post-11256-0-71238900-1418417814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just before signing off a couple more atmospheric photos.

The first sees one of the locals trying to 'cadge' some coal from a member of the H&BLR staff (newly acquired - dropped off by a passing loco).

The second is Hobbiton Signal Box spied through the trees (in the foreground is a windmill powered well/water pump).

Thanks for looking.

ATVB,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2002-2014 etc

post-11256-0-99587900-1418424244_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-65985500-1418424264_thumb.jpg

• Like 6