Steam at speed

avonside1563

• RMweb Premium

Said before I'm sure but........despite being very hard work, especially if the weather is ***, it must be absolutely thrilling to travel at that speed on a main line, Not surprised that Phil H 'escapes' whenever he can.

Lovely scene by the way...thanks, and the 'five year old' will have absorbed that sight and when he is 50ish will have a choice of amazing 3D printed, digitally remote controlled, 4mm steam driven A4s to run on his 3D printed layout. Alternatively he maybe firing or Driving Bittern. Lovely.

Phil 

It took me a while to realise Bittern didn't have a Generator Coach, in much the same way that ETH saps power from a diesel, how much extra work is it for the crew to keep enough steam to run at 75mph and heat the train....?

Once the steam heating is thoroughly warmed up then it doesn't need much to keep it up to the pressure required as the system should be very nearly sealed (although there's always a few little leaks here and there) with just the auto drains to vent any condensation from the system.

and the 'five year old' will have absorbed that sight and when he is 50ish will have a choice of amazing 3D printed, digitally remote controlled, 4mm steam driven A4s to run on his 3D printed layout. Alternatively he maybe firing or Driving Bittern. Lovely.

Phil

Thanks for the kind words, Phil- but he really hasn't got it in him...! We all went to the Great Gathering at York last autumn and he was more bothered about looking for the sequence of numbers around the turntable pit than on any of the exhibits (the same goes for most Model Railway shows, he'd rather look at stand numbers....). His 18 month old Sister was quite taken with their Cousins wooden railway, but what do you think happened when I got ours back out at home...

I'm not sure about either of them firing Bittern, but my Dad did get a cab ride at Barrow Hill back in February.

• 2 weeks later...

Dad's experience with French steam matches this - they'd get to linespeed and then stay there, needle on 120km/h. I guess the fastest performer in Europe these days is 18201 still - now that's a machine!

Regards

Richard.

SNCF drivers were (and maybe still are) given a 'Prime de Charbon' for driving economically, so there was a disincentive to exceed the speeds in the timetable. Most locomotives were fitted with a device called a Flaman recorder, which had a paper graph which recorded speeds attained throughout the journey ( http://blog.nrm.org.uk/2012/10/25/loco-speedometers-and-track-destroying-trains/img_0735-edited/) Gresley was very friendly with André Chapelon, probably France's greatest steam designer, and installed the devices on the A4s. In contrast, until BR days, even a simple speedometer was the exception, not the rule.

can anyone explain this at 2:37 in the following video coz i'm at a loss as to whats going on?

http://youtu.be/SifKEKTbZLA?t=2m37s

There is a note in the information under the video.

Either there was a scheduled loco change or steam was replaced due to fire risk and the video of the A4 returning light was edited into the main film.

Different and entertaining.

Pete.

Either there was a scheduled loco change or steam was replaced due to fire risk and the video of the A4 returning light was edited into the main film.

Pete.

A4's are currently banned from the station due to a gauging issue (in assuming on that s curve at the north end), so Bittern was detatched at Carnforth so it could be turned and serviced in Carlisle before taking the train south. The video shows some clever but pointless editing.

• RMweb Gold

Pete.

thanks for that, i couldnt see the comments when i first watched it on the pc so was a bit puzzled by it, i can see them now on the ipad

SNCF drivers were (and maybe still are) given a 'Prime de Charbon' for driving economically, so there was a disincentive to exceed the speeds in the timetable. Most locomotives were fitted with a device called a Flaman recorder, which had a paper graph which recorded speeds attained throughout the journey ( http://blog.nrm.org.uk/2012/10/25/loco-speedometers-and-track-destroying-trains/img_0735-edited/) Gresley was very friendly with André Chapelon, probably France's greatest steam designer, and installed the devices on the A4s. In contrast, until BR days, even a simple speedometer was the exception, not the rule.

I'm pretty sure that the speed and distance recorder patented in 1901 by Eugene Flaman (Chief Locomotive Engineer of the Est railway) or its later, nowadays digital, equivalents was and is compulsory on all locomotives that actually haul trains (so not shunters) on the national network in France as well as MUs and railcars.

Flaman recorders thesmelves were in large scale use until about 1990. Apart from the LNER's express locos it was also used by other railways including the Victoria Railways in Australia where the driver would sign the paper recording tape before setting out.

bande.jpg

There is another good picture of a Flaman recorder here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/69202963@N07/8684138180

Essentially the Flaman recorder combined a speedometer and a tachograph but also recorded AWS indications ("crocodiles" in France) and the driver's acknowledgement of them. The red pointer cold be set by the driver to the maximum permitted speed and this helped him to run very close to the limit without exceeding it though from various films it's clear that they didn't always use it.

The movement of the paper tape was driven by one of the locomotive's wheel so the horizontal axis is distance. The upper trace plotted time in ten minute intervals after which it reset so the farther apart the vertical lines the faster the locomotive was travelling. 

On the lower trace speed was measured by mechanically integrating the drive from the wheel with the clock so it actually indicated the average speed over each 3.6 seconds, this integration also worked the speedometer needle so it moved in jerks. This can be seen clearly from about 5 minutes into this very lyrical film made by SNCF towards the end of express steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIwyA0v638

(the words are taken from Victor Hugo's novel la Bete Humaine which was about a train driver)

If you like steam at speed this film is in any case well worth seeing as is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKRCJhLU7rs made in 1949. This was based on the symphonic piece Pacific 231 by Arthur Honneger, a composer who was also an avid railway enthusiast ""I have always loved locomotives passionately. For me they are living creatures and I love them as others love women or horses."

• 4 weeks later...

ISTR hearing a story from LNERdays about an A4 that was badly delayed so the crew were driving much faster than they were really permitted to in order to make up time. However they didn't want anyone in authority to know what they'd been up to, so they adjusted the pencil in the Flaman recorder to record lower speeds. After a while the Fireman asked the driver how fast he thought they were going. The driver looked out of the cab window at the passing scenrey and said, "I dunno - but it must be well over 120!" Whether it was over 126 of course, we'll never know...

Archived