Steam at speed

avonside1563

• RMweb Gold

A proper Class '60' at speed. The swaying and bucking on the video is exaggerated by the telephoto lens in use.

I agree to some extent, but that ride definitely looks a tad too lively over the pointwork. If you watch the whole train, the coaches seem to be less affected.

Strictly a one off.

Not true at all,  'The Ebor Streak', 'Capital Streak', and 'Tyne Tees Streak' were all 90mph runs, and as I understand it as long as the special engineering requirements are met, then she is permitted to run at 90mph.  There are plenty of youtube videos claiming 90mph on other runs, which are pretty straightforward for you to confirm if you want.

• RMweb Gold

I caught Tangmere flying through Brookwood back in April 2011. This was the first time I had seen any steam at speed on the mainline and it went from being my imagined, somewhat sedate affair as seen on preserved railways, to a maelstrom of noise, metal, steam and smoke!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Not true at all, 'The Ebor Streak', 'Capital Streak', and 'Tyne Tees Streak' were all 90mph runs, and as I understand it as long as the special engineering requirements are met, then she is permitted to run at 90mph. There are plenty of youtube videos claiming 90mph on other runs, which are pretty straightforward for you to confirm if you want.

Sorry, that's simply not the case...one of the ways in which I while away my dotage is to help look after this loco (and others) at Southall, plus acting as support crew with it, when rostered,on its mainline trips. Indeed I shall be out and about with it on its last trip before overhaul on Dec 30th from Kings X to Lincoln (give me a wave)

So, I'm afraid that I am stating categorically that that series of runs was a one off, not to be repeated for the foreseeable future.

Modern mainline steam running is a highly quantifiable, accountable and regulated affair. 'Black boxes' in the cab of the locos record speeds and events constantly throughout the runs, just the same as on every other loco/ train on today's railway, and are downloadable and checkable in the event of any out of the ordinary occurence.

So, once again, sorry, but these days 75mph it is.

Archived