Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Neal, I opened up your video to full screen and just sat there enjoying the GWR in all its splendour. I was especially taken by the Prairie reversing into the siding, the combination of sound and black and white worked really well I think.

Thanks for brightening up the morning!

Thanks Mikkel. The reason I turned it into Black and White was because I thought it was too dark in colour!

In using both the point and shoot camera and my DSLR, I feel they don’t handle the light very well. The iPhone does, but I don’t have a tripod for it, so it ends up a bit too juddery!

I think if I am going to post regular videos, I need to invest in a small video camera. Although I don’t see the Henley channel evolving into some if these full time vloggers - Charlie at Chadwick, posts every Friday. It must take home ages to get everything together for it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KNP said:

Great video and useful information about the Kadee couplings.

More videos please!

Thanks Kevin..... do I need to turn into a vlogger :-)

• Like 1

I would find that time consuming, it’s bad enough finding the time to post pictures and my waffle every day let alone videos....!!!!!

Still, I suppose once you got into the swing of it it just would just flow.....

I’ll stick to my pictures (for now!!)

Look forward to the ‘occasional’ videos!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Kadee couplings continued:

In order to be logical about the installation of Kadees, this is my work bench this morning.

Kadee.jpeg.27048a8efad494ab1861c38c6670e587.jpeg

All the individual arms are in a separate box based on size, with the springs and gear boxes also in separate boxes:

This is a complete gear box with spring inside and a #29 long overset arm. This overset arm, would be for a situation where the wagon is too high and the coupling needs to drop lower to get the right height. It’s all held together with sellotape for the photo.

The height gauge is shown on my new test track - I needed something longer than my previous track. It’s wired in case I decide to dispense with the old track that I use for programming away from the railway.

Road transport:

In order to get space on the bench, I had to move the two horse drawn lorries that had been lingering for a while. 

1361905860_Transport1.jpeg.4b31a91dc951a60bc6ed2495f98dc1f6.jpeg

These lorries are from Dart castings and Langley models, complete with horses from Langley. I’m always surprised at the amount of horse drawn traffic in the 1930’s

We have quite a varied collection of goods road traffic at Henley as befits such an important town.

Its another busy day at the Goods depot:

1761149612_Transport2.jpeg.0041f5ff4da9ebfcb9ba4caa6face095.jpeg

More modern vehicles are represented by the Scammel tractors, awaiting their next duty.

1190317804_Transport3.jpeg.d4d602b3a41e50ffbc1b27a75f7547ac.jpeg

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A tale of two Castles; Dryswllyn and Caerphilly:

Both Castle class 4-6-0 have had their Kadees fitted - its taken all morning, but a good project to complete.

I started with Dryswllyn Castle and decided to use a No 19 direct into the NEM socket. Its only temporary as I will need to fit the slightly longer No 20 when they arrive. Whilst it's easy to utilise the NEM socket, Im not convinced its stable enough - time will tell.

1782428878_5076DryswllynCastle-Kadee.jpg.1ea36c34c1f126b04d49a3c0dedc6f94.jpg

The height was right first time:

1574864900_5076DryswllynCastleKadeeheight.jpg.49425afe72ff6652203fcd9c6f651208.jpg

Its a bit too tight against the first carriage. Although there were no incidents on the way round to the station.

230912690_5076Kadeeclosefitting.jpg.5ff0345a283c5609e505b7a9856c745c.jpg

Then it was on to Caerphilly Castle:

Rather than fitting a No 19 into the NEM I decided to try a No 5 and gear box....

693871282_4073CaerphillyCastleKadeeheight.jpg.b9fd0dec7b8e5c349810f25408048196.jpg

Which proved too small for the loco. It could have been ok, but the gear box would have stuck out too much.

I therefore changed that for a no 29 - there was an issue with height, which this corrects by having the coupling knuckle above the bar.

This is the loco waiting with its train in the fiddle yard:

822268559_4073CaerphillyCastletrain.jpg.691578611acf7099c3b579d372024f1d.jpg

I might be able to change the no 29 which is a long for a medium. This will reduce the gap a little bit.

I have also done a video of both locos with their respective trains arriving into the station. It needs putting together and I will post later today or tomorrow morning.

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Just watched through recent video again.  Excellent.  And I do admire your thoroughgoing systematic approach to the Kadees!

Thanks John. I approached it as someone who didn't know about the product. Now I feel that I understand it all - mind you, the different numbers still get me at times!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I started with Dryswllyn Castle and decided to use a No 19 direct into the NEM socket. Its only temporary as I will need to fit the slightly longer No 20 when they arrive. Whilst it's easy to utilise the NEM socket, Im not convinced its stable enough - time will tell.

1146444349_5076DryswllynCastle-Kadee.jpg.8126c29d8aaf48bf1e918753f55d73b9.jpg

Neal, you seem to have missed out the NEM pocket itself. That's probably why it seems to be unstable and possibly also why the coupling doesn't protrude far enough.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Although already, everyone is talking about a lockdown for Easter.

Thanks primarily to the Madridiots, who seem to want to be able to infect the rest of Spain without any restrictions or consequences. They don't seem to have worked out that Madrid has the highest infection rate in Spain simply because of their lack of restrictions, and the rest of us would like a stab at living to a ripe old age.

Rant over.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Neal, you seem to have missed out the NEM pocket itself. That's probably why it seems to be unstable and possibly also why the coupling doesn't protrude far enough.

Thanks very much, I will revisit that. Although it seems that the mount is a fair way back on the tender. I've got more to do, so can see where I have gone wrong!

It's a steep learning curve with the couplings, but the results are worthwhile.

46 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks primarily to the Madridiots, who seem to want to be able to infect the rest of Spain without any restrictions or consequences. They don't seem to have worked out that Madrid has the highest infection rate in Spain simply because of their lack of restrictions, and the rest of us would like a stab at living to a ripe old age.

Rant over.

Mike.

Indeed. It beggars belief that they can go through the pandemic with so little regard for it. I suppose it's the herd immunity - but without any thoughts to those outside Madrid.

What has become apparent during the pandemic is that when push comes to shove the central government has so little control over what goes on in the regions. In that respect, its similar to the USA.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I have reviewed yesterdays videos and there are elements that need to be shot again. I probably wont get the chance to do that until Monday next week.

At this stage the uncoupling ramp at Platform 1 still sits proud of the rails - it was obvious when Dryswllyn Castle went over it as the engine and front carriage lurched a bit! - I need to fix the ramp in position and film that sequence again.

Then the next sequence showed Caerphilly Castle arriving into Platform 2, which it does in a very spirited fashion - but I didn't film it arriving at the Platform end!

More work will be done on both the sequences and I will pull them together for next week.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos from yesterdays Kadee fitting and the running session:

Caerphilly Castle is tight against the stop blocks on a six carriage train. The uncoupling ramp will be positioned under the tender and the first carriage. I will then position people at either end of the ramp, with the idea that the back of the tender is always over the ramp, so the Kadee is open. Normally I wont be able to see the front loco, so need to be safe in the knowledge that is not attached to the train!

488033806_4073Caerphillycastlearriving.jpg.9c66d5803d883cf765c03047276c68ef.jpg

It will then be possible to have another Castle on the front of the train and still have access to Platform 3 and the goods yard. Clearly if the carriages making up this train have closer couplings in between every carriage, that will buy extra space. 

732583853_5076DryswllynCastlePlatform2.jpg.333a55c3197ca6aa80af28e7e3ee4f53.jpg

Clearly if the departing loco was to be a 61xx this would make a big difference in the space available. The other solution is that the Castle could reverse its train into the carriage sidings, departing later from Platform 1.

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

A couple of photos from yesterdays Kadee fitting and the running session:

Caerphilly Castle is tight against the stop blocks on a six carriage train. The uncoupling ramp will be positioned under the tender and the first carriage. I will then position people at either end of the ramp, with the idea that the back of the tender is always over the ramp, so the Kadee is open. Normally I wont be able to see the front loco, so need to be safe in the knowledge that is not attached to the train!

1279811475_4073Caerphillycastlearriving.jpg.4b7c42ba4e8c20210906a8c50964caec.jpg

It will then be possible to have another Castle on the front of the train and still have access to Platform 3 and the goods yard. Clearly if the carriages making up this train have closer couplings in between every carriage, that will buy extra space. 

98233046_5076DryswllynCastlePlatform2.jpg.1c2367c7d90920ed45ea26f376737d57.jpg

Clearly if the departing loco was to be a 61xx this would make a big difference in the space available. The other solution is that the Castle could reverse its train into the carriage sidings, departing later from Platform 1.

Surely the space available really depends on where the signal is for departing the platform?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

Surely the space available really depends on where the signal is for departing the platform?

Of course and the engine is comfortably inside the signal 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal

You have been so busy I am struggling to keep up with all your posts! :unsure:

First off congratulations on the video which I thoroughly enjoyed. Having followed Henley for so long it was a very pleasant journey  through familiar scenery.

Not sure how I missed your introduction to Kadees........I started converting my stock about ten years ago. I know they are not strictly prototypical but they are ultra reliable......perfect for my automated operations (there are a number of my videos on Youtube). Like you I tend to top and tail my rakes with Kadees and in between using slimline tension locks for freight and Hornby couplers for coaches.

I started off with all manner of Kadee patterns but now standardise on just the four NEM options. You can get NEM pockets from both Bachmann and Dapol. Plastic bread packaging clips make perfect shims as they come in a variety of thicknesses

I have insertd them (particularly #20s) quite often into the NEM recess as per your photo.....I find it best to secure them with a dab of Superglue or black tack. I have also drilled out the shaft of NEM kadees and screwed them direct to the Loco chassis

You mentioned you were concerned about the height of the uncoupling magnets. You may need to carve out the sleepers for Code 75 but it should not be necessary for Code 100. I am afraid I can remember which code is used on Henley. With Code 100 I have to be super careful that there is no trace of ballast lingering on the sleepers and the magnet is perfectly aligned. A mm or so off and it will ride up on the edge of the chair.

If only certain locos catch then adjust the hook with plier. Which brings me to my final point.......Kadee sell a special set of pliers designed to adjust the hooks. I believe it is very effective, I have been intending to buy one for ages......you might want to put one on your US shopping list.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I do hope a bit of it may be useful.

Best wishes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

You have been so busy I am struggling to keep up with all your posts! :unsure:

First off congratulations on the video which I thoroughly enjoyed. Having followed Henley for so long it was a very pleasant journey  through familiar scenery.

Not sure how I missed your introduction to Kadees........I started converting my stock about ten years ago. I know they are not strictly prototypical but they are ultra reliable......perfect for my automated operations (there are a number of my videos on Youtube). Like you I tend to top and tail my rakes with Kadees and in between using slimline tension locks for freight and Hornby couplers for coaches.

I started off with all manner of Kadee patterns but now standardise on just the four NEM options. You can get NEM pockets from both Bachmann and Dapol. Plastic bread packaging clips make perfect shims as they come in a variety of thicknesses

I have insertd them (particularly #20s) quite often into the NEM recess as per your photo.....I find it best to secure them with a dab of Superglue or black tack. I have also drilled out the shaft of NEM kadees and screwed them direct to the Loco chassis

You mentioned you were concerned about the height of the uncoupling magnets. You may need to carve out the sleepers for Code 75 but it should not be necessary for Code 100. I am afraid I can remember which code is used on Henley. With Code 100 I have to be super careful that there is no trace of ballast lingering on the sleepers and the magnet is perfectly aligned. A mm or so off and it will ride up on the edge of the chair.

If only certain locos catch then adjust the hook with plier. Which brings me to my final point.......Kadee sell a special set of pliers designed to adjust the hooks. I believe it is very effective, I have been intending to buy one for ages......you might want to put one on your US shopping list.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I do hope a bit of it may be useful.

Best wishes

Excellent reply thank you John.

Henley is code 75, so I need to bury a bit to get it all under track level.

In the non published video, that was the problem I had - the loco; tender then first carriage lurched a bit as the magnet was not secured.

It will all be secured before I shoot the next video!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have completed my video of the two Castle class locos having had their Kadee couplings fitted.

Today I have fitted the Mogul with a No 19 Kadee, which was a lot easier as the pocket is a bit more substantial.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The next project - to run concurrently with the Kadee conversion is to replace the Platform canopy.

I've never been happy with the old one, the canopy supports were a bit too flimsy and the roof was starting to warp.

I've started building an Lcut kit(s) to replace it all:

941230573_Platformcanopy-kits.jpg.61c5bc696a182333fcba33158a469694.jpg

676514399_Platformcanopy-build.jpg.b4e662567e60ab6c6006729e234b3471.jpg

There are two more sections to build. At the moment nothing is fixed in place - Ive made it in sections, hopefully so its easy to paint. 

1212886090_Platformcanopy-Build2.jpg.4c8da25f1b97bc1384412927f22da81e.jpg

edit April 1st 2022:

The Platform canopies have continued to look like this (other than I painted the pillars and added bargeboards until now.... 

I am currently working in the engine shed area, with the Platform canopy being the next area to get an upgrade.

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Platform canopy update:

The build has progressed well with the Lcut platform canopy, in total there are 7 units that make up the canopy to get the length I need.

The kit goes together very well and is straightforward to build.

It's a bit cold and damp here at the moment, so not really the ideal conditions to spray it. I will need to mix up some Valejo paints to get a Dark Stone as I have run out of Railmatch paints and you can't get paint sent to Spain. At the moment I have just given it a coat of white primer.

Seen here with 4-6-0 Hall class loco 4909 Blakesley Hall.

1837433811_Henleynewcanopyb.jpg.6b17a5d884bd05a34a5ab25e9bbdabf3.jpg

1878532867_Henleynewcanopycr.jpg.e9715048eed98a486084ba41924df553.jpg

957495192_Henleynewcanopyd.jpg.e01827c0f2e863afa54fe26cd310b402.jpg

The valancing has been taken off the old canopy and is a Springside etch.

Edited by Neal Ball
1/4/22 photos changed
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That valencing does make a big difference, gives a sense of place and the time period as much as the loco livery.

Thanks for that. I thought the fancy GWR valancing was better than the Lcut one.... it was a bit plain. There was nothing wrong with it, the Springside just looked better!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Kadees

The on going fitting of Kadee couplings continues apace. 

I have now placed an order direct with Kadee in America for hopefully  the majority of couplings that I need. At least enough to go on the outer end of each train. 

It seems that I have exhausted supplies at Hattons as no 19 is no longer listed. It might be temporary, I will keep an eye on their stock levels!

• Like 5