Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

At this rate, I'll have finished not only Polperran but Pentowan as well before we get a change to play trains properly again... 

There’s a sort of ‘result’ trying to get out there?

Take care - we feel your pain having been through it earlier in the year this side of the globe. Simple things like going out for a meal are things to be cherished here at the moment …

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

At this rate, I'll have finished not only Polperran but Pentowan as well before we get a change to play trains properly again... 

There’s a sort of ‘result’ trying to get out there?

Take care - we feel your pain having been through it earlier in the year this side of the globe. Simple things like going out for a meal are things to be cherished here at the moment …

Thanks Graham. Yes, as one of my operating team pointed out earlier, the next time we get together I might even have built the S********n...

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

How easy was it to change the bogies on the Lima Syphon may I ask? I have one with its original Lima Bogies and it is very draggy despite opening the axle pinpoints out in the bogie.

Baz

PS china clays may be started today as I await more ballast....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

How easy was it to change the bogies on the Lima Syphon may I ask? I have one with its original Lima Bogies and it is very draggy despite opening the axle pinpoints out in the bogie.

Baz

PS china clays may be started today as I await more ballast....

It's a bit tricky, Baz. The way I did it was to drill out the Lima mounting hole, fit a new mounting plate on top of the floor and clip the new bogies to that. If you use the original mountings the vehicle rides too high. If I remember I'll remove a bogie and take a photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It's a bit tricky, Baz. The way I did it was to drill out the Lima mounting hole, fit a new mounting plate on top of the floor and clip the new bogies to that. If you use the original mountings the vehicle rides too high. If I remember I'll remove a bogie and take a photo.

Thanks!

Might just reduce the length of the axles- I did have some shorter axles for Lima bogies but I must have used them all.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Thanks!

Might just reduce the length of the axles- I did have some shorter axles for Lima bogies but I must have used them all.

Baz

Yes but the Lima bogies are all wrong - that's why I changed them.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Consequently, our September running session won't happen.

Perhaps you need to start thinking about some running sessions done remotely via Zoom and some technology to enable control of trains via the internet?  :jester:

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Perhaps you need to start thinking about some running sessions done remotely via Zoom and some technology to enable control of trains via the internet? 

I don't know whether you are joking or serious!

There is an article about achieving this in February's Model Railroader.

The participants in the documented session were in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, The Orkneys and Queensland.

The layout was either in New York or New Jersey.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Luddite, as befits a Yorkshireman, I can confirm that the AFK will not be following suit!

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The NSW Government has announced this morning that the stay-at-home rules for Greater Sydney will be extended to the end of September (no surprise there, I have to say). Consequently, our September running session won't happen.

At this rate, I'll have finished not only Polperran but Pentowan as well before we get a change to play trains properly again... :(

I feel for you guys in Oz, but every cloud has a silver lining and your loss will probably be our gain...  The quality and pace of your modelling and associated posts have been even more excellent than usual of late, and I for one look forward to more!

And yes, if it all gets too much the S********n would make an excellent modelling interlude, something completely different.   Although it will signal the end of an epic era of banter, if this particular project is actually completed!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

.... a Hornby Gresley full brake. This must have worked down in place of the diagrammed Western vehicle and is being sent packing as early as possible....

A Gresley or Thompson full brake in the SW is perfectly feasible.  Daily services ran from Newcastle and York to Swindon and the South Coast, via the GC and Banbury, sections of which were diagrammed for onward passage throughout the Western and Southern regions.  Parcel vans were also detached at Woodford Halse from the more numerous Sheffield and Nottingham to Marylebone services, and tagged onto inter-regional services from there.  NE CCT vans, as well as the Thompson and Gresley bogie stock.

All a part of normal business.

On a completely different tack, have you plans to model the Broccoli traffic?  A regular run from Ponsandane to Paddington, using ex-beastie wagons.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

wttreprints on eBay will sell you a reprint of the potato traffic arrangements for 1953 - Carol thinks I’m quite mad when she sees me with it.

Potatoes or Broccoli, beastie wagons being hustled along at 50mph by a Castle makes a great sight in model form!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Looking good John, can’t wait to be a part of the operational gang…..when I remember there’s a running session. 

When there is a running session...

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Chamby said:

On a completely different tack, have you plans to model the Broccoli traffic?  A regular run from Ponsandane to Paddington, using ex-beastie wagons.

4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

wttreprints on eBay will sell you a reprint of the potato traffic arrangements for 1953 - Carol thinks I’m quite mad when she sees me with it.

Potatoes or Broccoli, beastie wagons being hustled along at 50mph by a Castle makes a great sight in model form!

I have a full set of Winter 1962-63 broccoli workings (and Spring 1962 Isles of Scilly flower workings) from a different source.There is a 1705 SO Marazion - Oxley in the sequence. Perhaps that will do...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ianathompson said:

I don't know whether you are joking or serious!

There is an article about achieving this in February's Model Railroader.

The participants in the documented session were in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, The Orkneys and Queensland.

The layout was either in New York or New Jersey.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Luddite, as befits a Yorkshireman, I can confirm that the AFK will not be following suit!

Ian T

I spend (more than) enough time on Zoom/Teams for work so I don't plan to use them for playing trains.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 20/08/2021 at 12:16, St Enodoc said:

The NSW Government has announced this morning that the stay-at-home rules for Greater Sydney will be extended to the end of September (no surprise there, I have to say). Consequently, our September running session won't happen.

At this rate, I'll have finished not only Polperran but Pentowan as well before we get a change to play trains properly again... :(

Please keep up the great work. Your posts, and the ensuing banter, provide much welcomed entertainment while this lockdown continues ...

... and absolves me of the necessity of doing anything myself.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Please keep up the great work. Your posts, and the ensuing banter, provide much welcomed entertainment while this lockdown continues ...

... and absolves me of the necessity of doing anything myself.

Thanks! I hope the cross-border Iron Curtain isn't giving you too much grief.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

1675656072_20210821002TL14points.JPG.36d2c25bf7fe02d03eb6741996f2cf1b.JPG

Really like the way this particular view is developing - I think there’s something about watching a train on this sort of open line that’s really enjoyable, and well worth incorporating into a layout design where possible.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Really like the way this particular view is developing - I think there’s something about watching a train on this sort of open line that’s really enjoyable, and well worth incorporating into a layout design where possible.

Thanks Keith, I agree and it's something I've had in my mind for the branch from the start. The continuous series of curves, except for the short straights in the platforms, is a big part of that.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2