Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Unlike carriage workings WR loco diagrams, cyclic or otherwise, are like rocking-horse droppings. Does anybody have access to any or know someone who does?

Hi John

Have you tried Robert Carroll's collection of carriage workings.

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main/files/Carriage workings/Carriage_Workings_Google-Drive_BRCS_01-01-2021.pdf

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You don't actually need a layout at all! Many moons ago I know that some of my signalling engineering colleagues used to while away their lunch hours "playing" with the signal box simulations that were coming on to the market at that time.

Hello John

Many years ago, Railway Modeller published an article of mine about using a computer model of a loco depot and 'moving things around' by cut & paste to see how it all worked (conflictions etc).

Brian

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

Have you tried Robert Carroll's collection of carriage workings.

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main/files/Carriage workings/Carriage_Workings_Google-Drive_BRCS_01-01-2021.pdf

Yes, I've downloaded all the relevant ones but they are carriage workings. It's the loco workings that are impossible to find.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I built the first of the Treloggan Junction points tonight. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to build another tomorrow so I can get them both gapped, sprayed (weather permitting) and possibly laid at the weekend.

It's been a while since I made any points, St Enodoc and Wheal Veronica having used recycled ones from the previous layout, so I thought I'd start with a couple of plain ones before moving on to the Barry slip.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello John

I have had a look through the SR books, but none has any WR workings in your area, sad to say.

Brian

Thanks for looking, Brian, but I must say that was the answer I expected. :(

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Unlike carriage workings WR loco diagrams, cyclic or otherwise, are like rocking-horse droppings. Does anybody have access to any or know someone who does?

Years ago I used to use the reverse side of them in the office for scrap paper as did everybody else, the rest ended up in the recycling skip.  Oddly I have got a complete set of SR SWD loco diagrams, including extracts of some WR and LMR diagrams, for Winter 1968 but nothing like that for the WR.  So I might have some among old stocks of scrap paper but they will be very few and a very long way from complete. 

Totally irrelevant to this topic I also regularly had a complete set of SNCF TGV diagrams as at one time as Brian Perren used to give me a copy of the latest issue because SNCF always sent him two copies.   Even worse because of (enforced) software changes over the years I can't even access the Eurostar loco diagrams that sat on my own home computer - it's not even paper copies that are lost but also access to electronic ones.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KingEdwardII said:

Oooh - he's got the BLUE King !!

Even I only have a green version of King Edward II...and I drove the blue original!

Mike.

And it's a very naughty 'King' being on the wrong side of the Tamar.  It probably went blue when the air turned that colour as 'somebody'  was being given a good telling off for sending it in that direction.    (Yes, I do know about the various stories from the real world ;) ).

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And it's a very naughty 'King' being on the wrong side of the Tamar.  It probably went blue when the air turned that colour as 'somebody'  was being given a good telling off for sending it in that direction.    (Yes, I do know about the various stories from the real world ;) ).

(It’s a disguise: “Big green engines crossing the Saltash?  Not seen any, Sir. Not allowed, Sir. Yes, Sir, Understood, Sir”)

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Oooh - he's got the BLUE King !!

Even I only have a green version of King Edward II...and I drove the blue original!

Mike.

Well, it was green when I bought it...

It's been repainted twice since then - first in green (properly) and then blue.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just wait until you see 18000 and 18100 double-heading...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Just wait until you see 18000

I suppose 18000 is one of the sadder locos held at Didcot. It's great to see it there, of course, but it is never likely to be restored to running condition as can be seen from this very empty space:

18000_06.jpg

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

I suppose 18000 is one of the sadder locos held at Didcot. It's great to see it there, of course, but it is never likely to be restored to running condition as can be seen from this very empty space:

18000_06.jpg

Yours,  Mike.

Just needs a few Tesla batteries & motors, a loud speaker and a smoke machine...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

18000_06.jpg

Yours,  Mike.

There must be a few redundant gas turbine engines sitting around various airports at the moment?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

18000_06.jpg

Yours,  Mike.

Of course it’s  about resources of all kinds - including undercover stabling -  but, joking aside, I’m sure we’d all hope for it to be cosmetically restored and that space inside put to good use. Even if sets of doors had to be cut into one side for access to a sales outlet, display, W.H.Y, it would be better than seeing it rot away.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

There must be a few redundant gas turbine engines sitting around various airports at the moment?

There's in fact a fully restored and working Whittle turbine sitting around somewhere. after Mr Dyson paid for his apprentices to get it back in to working order.  So at least the right kind of turbine is available with no need for any of that modern stuff.

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Just wait until you see 18000 and 18100 double-heading...

That would probably have done for Royal Albert Bridge - I don't know about 18100 but the maximum axleload on 18000 was 20 tons.  However as long as they weren't painted blue ...  :butcher:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That would probably have done for Royal Albert Bridge - I don't know about 18100 but the maximum axleload on 18000 was 20 tons.

In all the photos I've seen, the leading loco was hooked off and ran light over the bridge. :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1