• RMweb Gold

Agreed - and the period surely has to be between May and September - summer timetable - due to the motorails presence

The Stirling - Newton Abbot ran alternate days IIRC with two rakes - one of flats, alternate days the Newton-Chambers double deckers we have here

Phil

That's a shame, because (and this is a long, long shot) I have just found that D856 did work 1V72  the 0733 Liverpool to Paignton forward from Temple Meads on Saturday 23rd August 1969.

It then worked the empty stock to NA and was stabled on the depot.

Edited; to say, furthermore - D807 worked 1V68 from Bristol that day, which was the 0830 Nottingham to Paignton, so would most likely have been at NA as well later in the day.

D845 is unlikely (if this madness is correct) because it worked the 1135 Kingswear to Paddington throughout, so probably spent the night at Old Oak Common.

D852 was in store at NA at that time.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

My research was much assisted by a few snippets of Warship workings sent to me many years ago by Martin Street when I was trying to discover what event had caused the chaos at Newton Abbot on that day.

I was only travelling from Paignton to Exeter, but from the working details of the locos I saw at that station during the 40-odd minutes we were stopped there, showed that up services were running well over an hour late.

I never did discover the cause, but credit must go to Martin and Mark Alden for the original info.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Neil! 856 distinctive as OH flash in front of not behind drivers door and low position of data panelIs on our list to do when those Bacchy 43s arrive - could I use this as our master shot please?Phil

Of course Phil !

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's amazing - and all fits together!

The only potential fly in the ointment is storage records are a mare - for example D6331 is listed as stored from 1969 when it was working off 85B and acquired a FYE - but I suspect that holes in the Warship records are much less likely

Cheers

Phil

Of course Phil !

Neil

Many thanks Neil

Phil

Unless someone has spotting notes from NA hidden away, I think, with some confidence, we can say that the three Warships are 856, D807 and either D845, D852 or D854.

We can discount D833 due to roof details.

Think that's our best shot Neil.

Be careful about roof details - not all Class 43s were the same - note absence of prominent raised roof fan grilles:

2169490838_0865118c4e.jpg833_Reading_7-8-71_m by robertcwp, on Flickr

IIRC of Class 42, 832 (preserved), 866 and 867 had the raised grilles.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 4

That's amazing - and all fits together!

The only potential fly in the ointment is storage records are a mare - for example D6331 is listed as stored from 1969 when it was working off 85B and acquired a FYE - but I suspect that holes in the Warship records are much less likely

Well, looking at my spotting notes from the two weeks that I was down there while my parents were on holiday in Paignton, I saw D852 half a dozen times and every time was at Newton Abbot - not anywhere else.

This suggests it was indeed parked somewhere on the depot. The other times it may have been obscured by locos in front of it as I passed by on the train, or I just became fed up with writing it down every day.

As well as 833, 861 also had Swindon style roof grilles. 834 had once if each for a while too. I think only these were the only NBL machines with them, although I'd be keen to hear of any others.

Very impressed by the CSI (Newton Abbot division) investigation. Anyone want to wager what time the photo was taken by the shadows?

Pix

Edited by Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robert - that's why 833 was dismissed as an option, the loco in question clearly has raised NBL pattern fan grilles

She plainly liked posing - here she is at Worcester

http://www.miac.org.uk/class42.html#brd833

And following on from Pixie's post theres the other criminal - D861 - on the same page

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

Think it was the only green Warship to have the D prefix painted over too.

As Robert rightly says above, the roof-grill skirts are something of a minefield. A few had one of each type.

But basically most of the Class 43s had the raised grill, though D833 didn't. Hence why I knew it wasn't the one in the picture with 856 et al.

Phil, it must've been in the school holidays as I was on a Midlands Runabout rover ticket. Possibly August 1970.