That is possible Neil. Maybe the train ran from Radyr or Llantrisant with coal for West Drayton and went via Reading yard to Acton? But it was a regular Hymek job, at least in 1973/4 when I was taking notice.

Edited; to add that it may have also made a stop at Slough, to detach coal wagons for the industrial estate.

8A87 in the May 74 WTT was 0410 Acton West - Hayes.

Phil

A glitch of the scanner/ Mac photo editing software I fear Jerry, Photoshop is much better, but I don't have a PC to run it. My daughter has promised to help - I bought it for her Photography GCSE.

Neil

There is a Mac version of Photoshop. It is not just PC software.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-Mac-Download/dp/B00NPAHWO4/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1423560033&sr=1-2&keywords=photoshop+for+macs

But if you want Mac photo editing software that is cheap and simple to use, then Graphic Converter should be fine.

http://www.graphic-converter.net/mac-graphic-converter.htm

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

many thanks Jonny^

I'm gradually running out of scanned slides, but there are many more to do - will try and get the scanner running, but I can't get it to talk to my Mac at the moment. So this thread may be suspended whilst its on the dark side of the moon, but it will be back!

Anyhow some oldies of mine that were on a previous version of Rmweb, but just for old times sake.

First a pair of class 22 slides

D6334 at Newton Abbott, late '60s early '70s

post-6925-0-61672300-1423595672_thumb.jpg

Next 6309 at Truro in a very sorry state.

post-6925-0-33123900-1423595743_thumb.jpg

Hymek D7068 at Cardiff, obviously accident damage led to the removal of its Headboard clips at some point.

post-6925-0-27997800-1423595715_thumb.jpg

D7016 at Old Oak in May 1974 - one of the models on the to do renumber list (i have D7000, D7010, D7011, D7012, D7017, D7052, D7054, D7068, D7093 already done - fiddly!

post-6925-0-58333800-1423595790_thumb.jpg

And finally tonight D1068 Western Reliance at Bristol Bath road (photo Barrie Watkins), 13th April 1976. Another Western I had for haulage between Weymouth and Bristol, summer 1975, sunburn and the rest.

post-6925-0-97952900-1423595767_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I've found a few more scans this evening lurking on the depths of my hard disk- so postings will continue!

Meanwhile one of the biggest joys for a hydraulic fan is seeing D1015 operating on her old stomping grounds.

I've only been out twice to see her, and can't recommend it strongly enough. I had a cab ride on D1062 Kidderminster to Bridgnorth but seeing a Western in full bore again is almost as good as a time machine.

Here's one of my favourite "mule" videos on YouTube from a few years back.

Neil

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I don't even need to follow that link Neil - have looked at that video so many times, if ever I want a quick fix that's where I go....

Recommend a driver course at the Severn Valley for those that haven't done it - getting to drive D1013 even with load 6 was just awesome

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

I wondered when you'd be along Nidge :)

Neil

'Absent Without Leave' - naughty old me!

It really has been a pleasure perusing the wonderful images in this thread and has given my somewhat lacking 'railway mojo' a good jolt - many thanks to all for sharing their finds ;)  

• Like 1

many thanks Jonny^

I'm gradually running out of scanned slides, but there are many more to do - will try and get the scanner running, but I can't get it to talk to my Mac at the moment.

This may have been discussed before, but have you tried Vuescan?  http://www.hamrick.com/

I know it costs a few notes, but everyone I know who has bought it wishes they had had it bundled with their scanner from the start.

I scanned all my slides with the Minolta software, then did just one with Vuescan and realised I now had a transformation in what I could get out of a previously rather dark image. I set about re-scanning everything and have my fingers crossed that the scanner will hold out long enough to finish them all again.

• RMweb Premium

I've posted these in the past but they seem to fit in here quite nicely so I suspect I will be excused for posting them again - the place is obvious, the year was 1964.

attachicon.gifD 6346 Laira 1964 m2.jpg

attachicon.gifD 822 Laira 1964 m2.jpg

Am I allowed to ask about the DMU in the photo of D6346 on a hydraulic thread? From the cab roof profile there doesn't appear to be a roof mounted headcode box as fitted to the local 117s. Were any 116s allocated to the London division or is it an interloper (or I am just wrong)?

• RMweb Gold

This may have been discussed before, but have you tried Vuescan?  http://www.hamrick.com/

I know it costs a few notes, but everyone I know who has bought it wishes they had had it bundled with their scanner from the start.

I scanned all my slides with the Minolta software, then did just one with Vuescan and realised I now had a transformation in what I could get out of a previously rather dark image. I set about re-scanning everything and have my fingers crossed that the scanner will hold out long enough to finish them all again.

I definitely agree with Jonny777's comment above.  When I moved to Vuescan I noticed a big change in the quality I can achieve, both with monochrome and colour.  It's very well worth it.

David

• RMweb Gold

Mike. Super photos. Did you manage to get a photo of the D600 behind the DMU in the first shot?

I seem to recollect that there was something in the way Paul - so I didn't (and I wonder where my very poor pics of a nearly new D6XX are hiding, they might excite a few folk round ere even tho' they aren't very good)

Am I allowed to ask about the DMU in the photo of D6346 on a hydraulic thread? From the cab roof profile there doesn't appear to be a roof mounted headcode box as fitted to the local 117s. Were any 116s allocated to the London division or is it an interloper (or I am just wrong)?

The depot is not in the London Division (despite the fact that during my railway time I worked at two that were and even spent a week at another) but it's Laira.  However I'm pretty sure you're right about it not having a headcode box but as it was a dmu - 'they'll always be around' - I paid very little attention to it.

• Like 1