If Pixie's comment about the time of day, due to the shadows, is not a joke; I reckon it was sometime around late morning. Newton Abbot station is virtually North - South in orientation, and the shadows seem to be quite short but not in front of the locos.

My guess is that the photo was taken the following day Sunday Aug 24th.  It would make sense as the front two locos would not have been there in the middle of the previous day.

I can't add any personal Warship photos, but because I have had a great afternoon/evening down memory lane, here is D1054 at White Waltham on a parcels train with a great variety selection of vehicles.

post-4474-0-20804500-1423347642.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Think it was the only green Warship to have the D prefix painted over too.

As Robert rightly says above, the roof-grill skirts are something of a minefield. A few had one of each type.

But basically most of the Class 43s had the raised grill, though D833 didn't. Hence why I knew it wasn't the one in the picture with 856 et al.

Phil, it must've been in the school holidays as I was on a Midlands Runabout rover ticket. Possibly August 1970.

Midland runabout? Now you are talking!!! Had great fun with those, largely in the Derby/Leicester/Nottingham area as had copped most WR power by then. And of course the ticket didn't cover the through trip to Crewe.......!!!

D6331 was through Abbotswood on 20th June heading south on a PW train hence my specific date - the only other one I saw working at Worcester was D6342 on a saloon, but as D6331 and D6320 were the Gloucester trip locos that summer - that's the correct headcode D6331 is showing - then perhaps visits were a bit more frequent.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

There are some other sightings of 22s in Worcestershire at http://www.miac.org.uk/class22.html

And D6331 - and D6320 - still pass through Abbotswood Junction, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgUTdd7XwyY,

7.20 onwards

Not convinced she met D5901 however!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If Pixie's comment about the time of day, due to the shadows, is not a joke; I reckon it was sometime around late morning. Newton Abbot station is virtually North - South in orientation, and the shadows seem to be quite short but not in front of the locos.

My guess is that the photo was taken the following day Sunday Aug 24th.  It would make sense as the front two locos would not have been there in the middle of the previous day.

I can't add any personal Warship photos, but because I have had a great afternoon/evening down memory lane, here is D1054 at White Waltham on a parcels train with a great variety selection of vehicles.

attachicon.gifd1054_w_waltham_5_76.jpg

However it is not at White Waltham but on the Up Main Line 3 miles further to the west at Ruscombe - with what could well be the 'Malago Vans' which includes mainly empty newspaper packing and stowage vans (hence the presence of a passenger carrying vehicle).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting D6331 Peter. I think I've mentioned before but your book in the 1980s was one of the first to tempt me to have a go at detailing diesels, a classic.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I can't see any Mk2s in the Warship pictures.

Anyway, regarding the time of the photo. Newton abbot station lies approx N - S which makes the photo taken arond noon, poss 1pm at the latest?  Does this tie in with 1V72 and 1V68? Is it too early?

First coach behind D837 at Malvern Link

Pixie - must have been later as I didn't start spotting until Sept 67 and the local treasures at Worcester were unknown to me until that half term - would have been the end of October 67 at the earliest but I suspect more likely spring 68 but date isn't recorded unfortunately. Distinctly remembered as someone with keen eyesight spotted it from Railway Walk far away in the sidings by Wylds Lane - suspect the extra journey to cop it made us late back to school that day but no memory of detention! And by February 69 D6342 was stored in the shed at Worcester!

DO you have any gen on such a working please?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

However it is not at White Waltham but on the Up Main Line 3 miles further to the west at Ruscombe - with what could well be the 'Malago Vans' which includes mainly empty newspaper packing and stowage vans (hence the presence of a passenger carrying vehicle).

My first Bristol landlady's son used to work on the 'Papers. he and his colleagues would pass up on the empty stock, catching some kip in the BSK that formed part of the formation. On the way back, of course, they'd be busy bundling up the papers for the different wholesalers and retailers. Around this time of year, 39 years ago, I found myself stuck at Paddington after a concert, having missed the last train. The Duty Stationmaster very kindly authorised me to pass back on the Down Papers, which arrived about 03:30 at Temple Meads.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Only have the WTT for my area but has the following:

1V53 21.55 SuO/21.50 WO Newcastle to NA - would arrive the following day of course!

1V53 21.50 FO Newcastle to NA - would arrive the following day of course!

1V54 20.00 M/ThO Edinburgh to NA - ditto

1V43 00.05 SO Sutton Coldfield to NA - would arrive Sat

No help with arrival times am afraid!

Departing NA

1S39 20.50 WO/FO to Edinburgh

1E36 20.50 M/Th/SO to Newcastle

1M49 13.40 SO to Sutton Coldfield

Think those workings balance - WTT is confusing as two entries for trains when they are within scope before and after midnight!

Cheers

Phil

First coach behind D837 at Malvern Link

I'm fairly sure this is FK W13252 (now at the Mid Norfolk Railway) but happy to be corrected.

F079BF74-68D9-4C8D-A159-19BFE1FA7289.jpg

Pixie - must have been later as I didn't start spotting until Sept 67 and the local treasures at Worcester were unknown to me until that half term - would have been the end of October 67 at the earliest but I suspect more likely spring 68 but date isn't recorded unfortunately. Distinctly remembered as someone with keen eyesight spotted it from Railway Walk far away in the sidings by Wylds Lane - suspect the extra journey to cop it made us late back to school that day but no memory of detention! And by February 69 D6342 was stored in the shed at Worcester!DO you have any gen on such a working please?CheersPhil

Cheers Phil - I ask as D6342 and one of the Mk.1 Inspection Saloons made it to Parkend on 11/07/67, a photo recently turned up in one of the soft back books on the Forest. I was particularly pleased to find it as I'm half way through a model of said vehicle and Parkend but didn't realise I could combine the two. I guess your sighting and the Parkend visits were from different trips, just coincidently using the same loco.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Good morning hydraulic fans

First up this morning is a couple of photos of D1028 Western Hussar

First light engine at Castle Cary on 29th December 1971

post-6925-0-80094700-1423379926_thumb.jpg

Then at Plymouth North Road in September 1975, on the 4M05 1240 Penzance-Crewe parcels service

post-6925-0-51573500-1423379990_thumb.jpg

Next 806 Cambrian at Redhill - we were discussing M25 Stone trains and warships only yesterday - this one is light engine too

post-6925-0-33582700-1423380063_thumb.jpg

D7038 at Thingley junction, which seems to have been taken on the same day as the D1066 and D1032 photos upthread.

post-6925-0-71639500-1423380086_thumb.jpg

And finally a splash of colour D7016 in company of one of her late surviving sisters at Old Oak common in May 1974

post-6925-0-38602600-1423380135_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 16

Yes, there were usually syphons in the news vans which would also lean towards it being 4A21 Malago Vale - OOC

edit - here is a similar train formation of empty van from Plymouth, not hydraulic hauled though

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/6725107391/in/photolist-pYvpSG-6Ubkz-hz4AUa-dbXJis-oxGuNc-hxehcy-owg8MT-oy1y2v-gGK7pa-gGJf5V-huW9VK-hCYT1q-bfgW8r-aYGJfn-hCZBDc-hBfCmr-hz4qQc-hxzn9P-hz2Z5Q-hz3gCY-hz5hSQ-ntCAeU-bbbQz4-4fhR6s-hy5t1E-hyayRN-hz2U4C-hy9EJH-hz5spq-hwR8VE-hwSQcM-hCuQCq-gGHBZE-hBfZbo-9sALKC-hy3Y4L-hD2JVv-hwRfMy-hxJutw-hya5Z6-hzD6i1-hz5tQw-hyaFCd-hyby7Z-hy45Fn-hCYqAy-iaSKet-hwSkUp-hwR5Ph-hCZ8LN

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smashing Neil!

One problem - you have identified all the locos, what are we going to do all day???

Only kidding - off to Monmouth show via Pontypridd and Cardiff, have a good day!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Maybe again though Paul if the D6358 project is successful, I hope it is - I've bought some of their goods to support.

I only saw 806 at Swindon at her end, along with 824 in January 1975, the last two to be cut (excepting 818 of course which went in the 1980s).

Neil

In case anyone needs it for modelling purposes, here is a close up of the consist -

post-4474-0-65070900-1423385931_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

And finally a splash of colour D7016 in company of one of her late surviving sisters at Old Oak common in May 1974attachicon.gifD7016 OOC Turntable May 1974.jpgNeil

Superb photos. Interesting that both Hymeks have the same headcode 8A87. Anyone know what this was please and if it was a regular Hymek working.

That is possible Neil. Maybe the train ran from Radyr or Llantrisant with coal for West Drayton and went via Reading yard to Acton? But it was a regular Hymek job, at least in 1973/4 when I was taking notice.

Edited; to add that it may have also made a stop at Slough, to detach coal wagons for the industrial estate.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

I like you Jonny only started taking notice in 1974 when I formally started spotting. That summer most of my Hymek sightings were on coal and parcels traffic to and from South Wales through Bristol Parkway. We need a 1974 WTT to find out what 8A87 was.

Neil