Teignbridge (change for Upcombe branch)

Ardmore

David;

could I check with you what make are the village street buildings please? They look very nice. I may have missed it in an earlier post?

thanks, Andy R

Apologies David- seen post 78 again and that tells me- mix of Wills and Walthers cornerstone -not sure which but I like them

regards, Andy R

Andy:

Thanks for your interest. The shop fronts and glazing were taken from several Walthers Cornerstone kits. The rest of the construction work was done using Wills material packs, and Wills and Ratio components (windows, doors, guttering, etc.). I've tried to capture the feel of the local architecture, without basing any of the buildings on a particular prototype.

David

• Like 2

Thank you David for the extra information, which will be stored away in the meagre brain for another day, when my own branch terminus begins to appear on Hawkinsfield Junction. Similarly, I have your Wills viaduct adaption (as on earlier posts) firmly referenced for future use too David -an excellent series of informative posts there)

Co-incidence really, but I was collecting my newly chipped DCC M7 loco from my friend John today; John runs his Train Depot business locally and he happened to have several cornerstone high street kits on the work bench, similar to what you were probably using as a base- so I had a good look at the potential of them for future reference.

Keep up the excellent modelling

regards, Andy R

On 12/02/2016 at 09:47, westerner said:

I see I'm not the only one to have renamed a Hall Lotherton.

On 12/02/2016 at 09:52, gwrrob said:

Good research Alan.

Judging from the photographs I've seen in various books, Lotherton Hall was a regular visitor to South Devon. I suppose that's not surprising since it was allocated to 82A (Bristol Bath Road) from 1954 until 1959, and then moved to 82B (Bristol St. Phillips Marsh) until 1964.

My other Hall is no. 4905 Barton Hall from the original batch constructed in 1929. It was an 83A (Newton Abbot) engine from 1956 until 1961 when it was transferred to 82B. It was one of the very few steam locomotives I saw on the Kingswear line in August 1963, although it was in a rather woebegone condition with steam leaking from a lot of places it shouldn't. 

I have a third Bachmann Hall currently awaiting attention and conversion to DCC. I was thinking of renumbering it to no. 4948 Northwick Hall (as seen on ANTB!), which was an 83C (Exeter) engine from 1953 until 1961.

The model has a Hawksworth tender, but I'm not sure if that is correct for no. 4948 in 1959-60. There's an undated picture of no. 4905 in ex-works condition in the summer 1959 ABC combined edition with a Hawksworth tender so a swap with no. 4948 may be in order.

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 16

• 11 months later...

Hi Gismorail (and others),

I'm alive and well, and just getting back to work on Teignbridge after quite a long break. Time for modeling was rather limited for most of 2016 because I went back to work as a part-time consultant for my former employers (I retired for the first time at the end of 2012). Now that I have completed my final report for them, I can start to focus on the layout once again.

Not that the last 12 months have been a complete blowout - I have slowly been building up my collection of ex-GWR locos, and acquiring pre-owned models when the opportunity arose. Most of these have now been detailed (lamps, etched name and number plates, real coal), and a number have made the 8,000 mile round trip to the UK for weathering. Thanks to Glen and Carol at GC Weathering I also now have a set of heavily weathered milk tankers and a complete parcels train, so there are some novel photographic opportunities to be exploited in the coming months. 

To get restarted, here is a recent picture of one of my Bachmann 4575 class engines resting between turns at Upcombe, the branch line terminus.

IMG_3484.jpg.236d77b37932ac756958477139a82645.jpg

5533 was a Newton Abbot engine for a number of years in the 1950s, and a regular performer on the Kingsbridge branch until 1958. By 1959, it had been transferred to Penzance.

More to follow.

David 

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 18

So pleased that you are posting images again of this most splendid example of a layout that I can only aspire too and what can be achieved, with an obvious, talent and dedication to a much loved hobby....I love to view this inspirational layout and look forward to further images...

Regards to all...glad you're back !

Bob (I can only live in hope to achieve 1/10th of your detail)

As anyone who has attempted to do this will be aware, merging foreground buildings with a back scene and achieving a reasonable perspective is challenging. I'd be interested in hearing folks' comments on my efforts so far. The location is the corner at the end of the branch line terminus (Upcombe). Neither version is perfect, but which one looks better? 

This one:

Or this one:

BTW I'm aware that the car in the background is well out of period for the model!

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 10

I think it's time I posted a few photographs of some recent main line steam in action on the layout. To get going again, here is Castle Class no. 5053 Earl Cairns on a down express headed for Plymouth.

IMG_3498.jpg.40769d6da1d6e7466c67e63ff0938631.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg.86257550f757032c756e5d3cff749430.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg.63c0d3c2356af75091e370e1e0dc43b2.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg.cdaaa89d610f9c13960d63f1a149ac44.jpg

In real life, no. 5053 was allocated to 83A (Newton Abbot) from December 1954 until November 1959 when it moved to 83D (Laira). It moved for the last time to 88A (Cardiff Canton) in September 1961, and was withdrawn in July 1962. It never received a double chimney, and spent long periods in the 1950s with a Hawksworth tender. There is a superb photograph of no. 5053 climbing westbound on Dainton in 1960 on the front cover of Peter Gray's 'Steam in Devon' colour album. 

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

As anyone who has attempted to do this will be aware, merging foreground buildings with a back scene and achieving a reasonable perspective is challenging. I'd be interested in hearing folks' comments on my efforts so far. The location is the corner at the end of the branch line terminus (Upcombe). Neither version is perfect, but which one looks better? 

This one:

attachicon.gifIMG_3508.jpg

Or this one:

attachicon.gifIMG_3509.jpg

BTW I'm aware that the car in the background is well out of period for the model!

David

Hi

Purely from an artistic view point, yep I'd agree that the second image is more accurate, as the vanishing points taken from the buildings and roof lines would be more correct.....and indeed the 'drop' onto the street beyond looks great...well done matey....

Regards

Bob