Unusual PW configurations thread both real and model.

• RMweb Gold

Showing the West end of platforms 16 & 17 at Clapham Junction looking towards the Brighton Slow lines (a goooood long while ago)............................. ???

Banking / pilot engine release siding for trains coming up from the WLL ??

Alas I can't lay hands on a Working Over Book which might cover it the only immediate source I have is the 1934 Southern Appendix and assisting in the rear was not authorised there at taht time.  It could obviously be a post-war, or wartime alteration to both layout and authorities but nothing run to earth on that as yet.

Or, as tramway engineers would know it, a half Grand Union.

A full Grand Union is considered the tramway engineer's star turn, being a crossing of two routes with connections at every corner. They aren't common, but Prague has at least two, as well as several 3/4 Grand Unions, an example of which appears below -

post-6524-0-02430900-1423337609_thumb.jpg

They are often home to some quite congested crossings, including examples such as this, where three rails cross at almost the same point

post-6524-0-50070300-1423337621_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Jim

• Like 10

They are often home to some quite congested crossings, including examples such as this, where three rails cross at almost the same point

Comfortable to cross? Potential for derailments? Looks horrendous to this non-expert.

Comfortable to cross? Potential for derailments? Looks horrendous to this non-expert.

Yes - as with most traditional tramways, these crossings are flange running, ie the wheel is supported on the flange tip, not the tread. Derailments,none, as the crossing is fully checked on all three routes.

Jim

Showing the West end of platforms 16 & 17 at Clapham Junction looking towards the Brighton Slow lines (a goooood long while ago)............................. ???

Banking / pilot engine release siding for trains coming up from the WLL ??

If that's where I think it is off the easternmost platforms at CJ (16/17?) then might possibly be for allowing run-round off the 'Kenny Belle' without fouling the Brighton Main Lines. If the Clapham Junction-Olympia shuttles couldn't get into Platforms 1/2 then they were routed over to the Brighton side of the station...

Or, as tramway engineers would know it, a half Grand Union.

A full Grand Union is considered the tramway engineer's star turn, being a crossing of two routes with connections at every corner. They aren't common, but Prague has at least two, as well as several 3/4 Grand Unions, an example of which appears below -

attachicon.gifIMG_1552r.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1551r.JPG

Regards,

Jim

Hello Jim, I saw an untitled shot of this location years ago on some Photo site or other and have for ages have been trying to work out where it was, so thanks for posting and clearing that up for me. Where to fit it (the 3 rails crossing bit) on the layout is the next thing to work out. Brian.

• Like 1

Another tram junction (or half of it) - this time in Basel, Switzerland.  The key should help you work out where I was standing.

attachicon.gifTram Lines 2.jpg

There used to be one of these at the junction of Broad Street and West Street in Reading (i.e. outside Broad Street Mall). An overweight policeman used to stand in the square created where the north-south and east-west lines crossed to direct the traffic and the tram drivers used to take great delight in timing their trams to pass either side of him to make him breathe in!

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 1

I've come across Gantlet or Gauntlet track a lot, both where 2 tracks narrow to 1.5 tracks, or a line splits at allow wider trains to pass full height platforms  but not this double Gauntlett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track#mediaviewer/File:Sechsschienengleis.JPG

I was a bit confused about the necessity of having a platform either side of a single track line, but the trams only have doors on one side and turn at the ends of the line

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 3

I've come across Gantlet or Gauntlet track a lot, both where 2 tracks narrow to 1.5 tracks, or a line splits at allow wider trains to pass full height platforms  but not this double Gauntlett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track#mediaviewer/File:Sechsschienengleis.JPG

I was a bit confused about the necessity of having a platform either side of a single track line, but the trams only have doors on one side and turn at the ends of the line

Bi-directional track?

Where abouts in Chicago is that? I may have been through it!

It's at one corner of the EL Loop where the the elevated line completely circles the part of Chicago, known for obvious reasons as 'The Loop'! I am not sure which corner but I have been over it twice(!) during an architectural tour of the loop by special train that circled the Loop twice. One circuit the guide was talking about features on the inside of the loop, the second circuit those on the outside. A brilliant trip, but don't think they do it now. It started and finished at Randolph Street and took about an hour.

• Like 1

It's at one corner of the EL Loop where the the elevated line completely circles the part of Chicago, known for obvious reasons as 'The Loop'! I am not sure which corner but I have been over it twice(!) during an architectural tour of the loop by special train that circled the Loop twice. One circuit the guide was talking about features on the inside of the loop, the second circuit those on the outside. A brilliant trip, but don't think they do it now. It started and finished at Randolph Street and took about an hour.

Then I have been over it, as I did a complete circuit of the loop (without the commentary) while I was there! I have some video of it somewhere.

Poznan has a couple that I can think of too. One at the junction of Roosevelta and Swiety Marcin (which also happens to be a roundabout for road vehicles) and at the junction of Roosevelta and Most Teatralny.

There is a 3/4 at Rondo Srodka (near the Malta Lake narrow gauge railway) which also happens to be across a roundabout (fun when the traffic lights change and the tram is hanging out  halfway across the road whilst it waits for a signal at the other side of the roundabout) and there is an interesting double line / single line 3/4 at the junction of Gwarna and 27 Grudnia.

Unfortunately I don't have photos of these but Google Maps shows them quite well.

Back in Blighty, If I remember correctly, outside New St PSB there is a double slip with a switch diamond in the middle (for want of a better description) I may have a photo lurking somehwere. 

It was certainly fun to clip up if you had too. Even had its own special extra long (and heavy) point clip.

Andy