Hornby A4

ScRSG

Rails are offering a DCC fitted "Mallard" for £64.50, now, while this is a Railroad item, I have often wondered whether the A4, in particular, is the same body moulding and chassis as the main range item (which is about double the price), lacking only the detail pack. Can anyone enlighten me on any differences? 

The railroad model is a different tooling to main range A4 which is a fantastic model. Hornby upgraded the A4 when they first went out to China and this is the railroad model which when fully finished is as good as Bachmann A4. The full spec A4 is a new tooling done later in China and the cost reflects the quality of these models.

• RMweb Premium

Which of the railroad A4's uses the same body then? I can guarantee that the Magazine reviews said from a certain one, the Railroad a4 uses the same body as the full spec one. Was it after 60022 was released?

Just to add further clarity.

The Railroad tooling for the loco body is identical to the super-detail model, Minus lamp irons, glazing and molded handrails on cab. The valve gear is missing the finer valve gear, the lubricator and the speedo off the high detail model. With a bit of work I'm sure it could be improved to match the high detail version

The Railroad tooling for the tender loco body is however the tooling from many years ago it's a very poor representation, of a corridor tender, bulky and overscale. The tender chassis is what was used in the old ringfield motor. A huge amount of work would be needed to make this tender a better model. 

The choices for the tender:

1, Trow it away

2. Huge amount of cutting and shutting

3. Get hold of the GBLM Flying Scotsman, or the Mallard and respray ans reline too match the Hornby BR green

The tender lets the loco down very badly, the low detail P2 and DoG, are far better in this regard.. 

Look at photos here and you will see the differences. The railroad version is based on the same mould shape as already stated. i forgot the Cab Doors ,Fall plate and as David has said the lamp irons.

http://locoyard.com/2012/07/19/Hornby-lner-a4-class-review/

There is wrong info thereon the Tender drive version is R2309 and not R2399 which is the high detail Mallard.

...The tender lets the loco down very badly, the low detail P2 and DoG, are far better in this regard.. 

When Hornby first released the all-new loco drive A4 (applies to the A3 also) one of the first observations was that the tender was perhaps the biggest advance when it came to appearance. And it wasn't just a tender either, but the major tender variants. I was fairly blown away to find that they had bothered with the coach end profiled corridor type. (Perhaps I am too easily impressed?) The 'full fat' model is worth it for this aspect alone in my opinion; for sure more expensive, but you can easily see the benefit for the extra money.

in danger of repeating myself from other threads, but it is a pitty that when Bittern was fitted with a corridor tender, Mr Hosking and his team didn't consider replicating one of the 'missing' gresley tenders, namely the bow-ended Corridor Tender, complete with flat side sheets (i.e. no beading). This would have both reduced the visual impact relative to the non-corridor tender she spent her life with, and provided something unique.

Unless the bow-ended tenders has a slightly lower water capacity? If so, the official stats don't indicate this (5000gal being quoted for all types).

So a certain Liverpool box shifter has Railroad Mallard at a very good dcc fitted price. Does anybody know if it has a nem coupler socket on the tender?

I've just had a double check of mine, and the tender coupling is mounted in the almost standard removable pocket, like most of the new Hornby and Bachmann releases.

Hope this helps

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...

I bought the railroad Mallard 60022 to have it  transformed to PEREGRINE 4903 in war time black runs great

ok no cab detail but dose the job I wanted it for. Plan of buying it again to re-name / number it BITTERN £ 83 ish

and DCC fitted.

Archived