North Cranford

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I am departing for sandier climes very early on Sunday, and I will keep in touch somehow.

I have a side project coming to fruition, but it involves a couple of Ebay auctions over the next couple of days, so I will keep quiet for now.  

The weedkilling train will be ready to build/make when I return, and I look forward to sorting that and the restarts on the 5 NPCCS "brass sides onto RTR" pieces.

I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The sun is out, and the sky is cloudless.  It's a chilly 25C today.  

After a busy night for my auction sniping software, I can reveal the "side project".   

But before that, a quick moan about the moaners who "hate" auction sniping software.  Why moan?   I can place a maximum bid, which no-one is going to get their mate to force up to my maximum.  I will also not get carried away by adding a tenner every time the price rises.  I just set my limit and walk off. Much like you can do in a real world auction house.  And I can bid wherever I am in the world, regardless of poor internet connection etc.   But if they weren't moaning about auction sniping, they would moan at something else.

The side project is a couple of 2251 renovations to fund the weedkilling train and perhaps something else.  I wanted 3 of the Mainline 3500 gallon tenders, and the cab roof from a 2251 or a 43XX to make up a weedkilling train from the late 40s.  The cheapest way to source these was to buy broken 2251s or 43XX Moguls.   With a little searching I have managed to source quite a few recently, and I will have enough spare parts left over to make up at least one, if not 2 good running 2251s.  Some arrived as non runners with good bodies, some were good runners with damaged bodies, and the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place last night - one auction lot containing 2 x 2251 bodies and a complete tender.

So a nice piece of fund raising which is also enjoyable:  some crew to paint, real coal to add, and then a repaint, add brass numbers, logo and weather.

On this Burns Night I hope you are all happy and healthy, and hope you all have a hearty haggis puddin' and a dram - and have one for me, because there's nae chance of that oot here...

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On this Burns Night I hope you are all happy and healthy, and hope you all have a hearty haggis puddin' and a dram - and have one for me, because there's nae chance of that oot here...

Indeed I will !   Speaking of which would you care for a virtual bet on Scotland v England ........I think the bookies odds are over generous to England......but I still favour them to win by a few points (mind you based on my World Cup predictions I am not exactly a pundit!)

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

The bookies like your predictions John.........

When I go away on these little jaunts I like to purchase something as a momento, which I would usually have to save  up my pocket money for. The 47XX is already paid for ( and ordered now) but to fund that I had to sell the kit one.  And for the 94XX I had a clear out and Ebay session.

But a trip like this is well paid, so Knight of St Patrick, the new Hornby Star with large tender and G**W logo was ordered last night.

I like a rename, as regular perusers of the NC thread are aware.  So with the aid of the Hornby Star thread, I set to work researching, like a few others have done.

The model, despite the website picture will be , like Lode Star, devoid of steam pipes.   That left me with three choices for 1945-49.

a.  Keep as 4013

b.  Knight of the Thistle

c.  Knight of the Liege, which has very little appeal.  The kit built 4017 brings back bad memories of buying someone else's badly built kit on Ebay.  Which I never learnt from because I then bought a well built but iffy running 47XX........

My Highland heritage points me towards Thistle, and a check showed Thistle to be Newton based, until scrapped in 1949.  Still very much in use and a frequent visitor to Paddington to the end.

Plates will be ordered today.

Next time I can mutter on about how I plan to modernise my Limited Edition Lode Star to use in this time frame!

On this the last day of Jan (already!).  I hope you are happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes one needs more than one button as in:

The first line is funny and I like the rest of the post......so as you can see I settled for friendly

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John.

There should be a couple more buttons including the "NO!" button and also the "I don't like..."

But I am generally very pleased with RM Web.

Sitting here in the desert with my Canadian flag proudly sewn on my arm, and on the back of my big kit bag.   Sadly not many Maple leaves left here, any more, but they are all at Home where they should be, having done a good and tough job in this Province.

I do miss the Timmys that used to be here tho.

• RMweb Premium

My grandfather was born in Quebec but the family has Scottish roots.  I was born in Scotland.   I have relatives all the way from Halifax to Calgary, and probably further West than that, but they would be very distant family I guess.

• RMweb Premium

Thistle plates arrived today as well as cabside numbers for 2276 I think.    (2276 is a common VW dragster/street race size engine, hence why it came to mind immediately)

Cabside numbers will go on the Frankenstein 2251 when it is made and detailed for sale.

I also picked up a couple of recent Hornby tenders in the shape of a Hawksworth and a 4000g Collett.  Given the EBay prices for tenders, and tender components, I am sure that these will come in handy in future.

Next stage is to source a tender top for Lode Star, and that is under way right now.  That's enough shopping for this trip.

Certainly got lots to do in the way of projects.  I did say over on Rob's ANTB thread that if I stay out here longer than programmed I will pay for someone to build my brass kits, as I will never have the skills to do so, and I would like to see them built.  Painting and detailing I can do.  One kit build for every 3 extra days here.

They are:

Ballast plough TOAD from Blacksmith (I think).

MOREL propeller carrier ( same manufacturer).

Bullion Van (Conferderate).

O13 Milk Brake- maker's name escapes me.  Really looking forward to seeing that one finished.  I think it's down for all over dull brown.  May have to compromise on the lettering slightly and use some of the excellent CCT letter sets for this kit - there is a section in the centre with text allocating the brake to a particular train.  Sadly not available in GW "Gold" but only BR(W) Yellow.  May have to go a little heavy on the weather over that bit to tone it down.  An O13 can't be without it.

I hope my post finds you all happy and healthy once again.

Goodnight from 3000' up in Afghanistan.

• RMweb Premium

On ANTB I hear that the new Hornby Colletts are starting to be delivered.

Excited - I have 4 on back order.  They will be used to break up some quite "samey" coaching stock formations and also be used on some very random stocked summer saturday excusions behind the 47XX.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dust storm out there, but it's all OK here in my shipping container.......

May have to break into the emergency foodstocks and not go out for meals.

A tender top for Lode Star has been procured in the form of a tender top from a Hornby 4-4-0 County. 

I have to decide how to finish it:  not keen on a ragedy shirtbutton, and a lined late logo tender of this age doesn't appeal.  There is the third option of the late logo unlined ( WW2 refurb style) but would such an old tender have had a spin through Swindon so late in life?

This tender top is a compromise anyway because of its entire raison d'etre.   So fully lined sparkling late logo it may be.  We'll see.  Unless there are suggestions.

No other news from the sandy place

I hope that you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another week whizzes by..........and the rockets came whizzing in...........

Valentines Day has been and gone. i bought 'Er Indoors a new belt and a new bag.  After all, the Hoover isn't going to fix itself is it?

I also bought a tenderless Bachmann Hall, which will be paired with my Hawksworth tender.  I have a Castle and Hawksworth, so time for a Hall.  It will be painted in unlined WW2 Green, and the tender will remain lined.  I have seen enough pairings of this to think it was a routine occurrence in my time period.

Just need a name for it - I liked the idea of St Martin,  the Hall with the Saint name, but the visual difference between prototype St Martin and the other Halls is too much to try and bluff with a "pure" early type Hall. Name suggestions welcome. (other than Albert, any of the preseved ones, or Nobby ......)   I am considering the one which they are turning backwards into a Saint - Maindy Hall as it was never "preserved/restored" back to running order.  The County and the Grange are being rebuilt from the later modified Halls, so they are out as choices.

4942 was either a Newton Abbott engine, or Bristol Bath Road in my time frame.  Will investigate.  This move just after my period may indicate a re-allocation after a works visit- which would explain why it is still unlined in my time.

I hope you are all happy and healthy, and neither flooded out or snowed in.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A quiet week.    Come to think of it, it was a very noisy week.  Lots of big bangs and booms.

Only modelling/NC news is that Maindy Hall plates were ordered from Modelmaster Jackson Evans, and a decision has been taken to weather up the 4 wheel UD tanks, in various liveries, and slap them onto Evil Bay when I get home.  4 wheelers were a thing of the past by the 1940s, so go they must.  This follows on from the 2013 cull of beige fuel tankers for the same reason.

It has suddenly started to get warm, as it does here.  29C today.  And no rainy season was seen this year.  Its not just UK/Europe that has had wierd weather this winter.

I hope you are happy and healthy.

• RMweb Premium

Rails have been in touch, and asked for some money. 

So 4 Collett coaches will be headed to my workshop later today.  Two brakes and two Compos if I remember correctly.  One of the brakes is destined for the spray shop when I get home.

Mixed feelings about today's events.  Nice to hear that Flying Scotsman rolled out of KX in front of crowds.   But why this obsesson with her?  She is more known for failures and bankruptcies and being a money pit.   £4m would have gone a long way to finishing the Saint and the 47XX and Grange, and make a start on a Dean Goods.......

On the day when a steam whistle raised hairs on necks in London, I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After an extremely close shave care of the Taliban on Friday, it has developed into a good news week.  I am to remain here for an extra 14 days, which equates to 12 days pay.  So my promise to send  my brass kits to the builder will materialise.   I asked around discretely and was repeatedly sent the names of a couple.  One never replied! 

But one has agreed to take on the 4 kits in 6 months' time, which is his current workload size/length.  He has agreed to build, and I will paint and finish.  I am very pleased.  By Christmas, I may have a completed bullion van, plough TOAD, MOREL and O13 milk brake.

On the day when we lost Frank Kelly (Feck Nuns! - DRINK!) I hope you are all happy and healthy.

• RMweb Premium

Todays news from Liverpool is that Knight of St Pat the Thistle will not be arriving at North Cranford in Jul'16, but instead in Nov '16.

I have developed H57 envy looking at some posts of lovely dining/restaurant stock on AnotherNodToBrent.  I like many others struggle along with the Hornby effort, and that has to suffice as it requires huge amounts of surgery to correct mistakes and omissions.

My stay has been extended a little more again, I feel a "treat" coming on.   I am investigating the possibility of my nominated kit-maker constructing a Comet Restaurant for me, but this time to include paint.   I will keep you posted.

I hope you are happy and healthy.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An incredible wet few days here, which is normal for the UK, but awful in the desert.  Mud and huge puddles everywhere because for 360 days a year the hard ground and substrata is sunbaked here.

So like anyone on a rainy evening, I have sat in and caught up with some RM Web.   Jules' Mayshill layout recently acquired a Lima SIPHON G, which has been updated with new Bachmann Collett bogies and some large round buffers.  I became enthused and decide that mine would have the same treatment.  Via Ebay I have aquired the neccessary because there are no model shops here,and if there were, the Taliban would make them not stock anything Great Western    :)

My 6 SIPHON Gs have already appeared on this blog/post a fair few posts ago.  Their roofs are now dull, mostly grey, black or very sooty white,  and their running gear has had the airbrush treatment.  So it looks like they'll get another session with the weathering gun when I get home and when the weather warms up.

Anyone want 12 Mk1 bogies?   Does anyone use them?

On the day after we sadly lost one of the last remaining great producers of pop music, I hope you are happy and healthy.

(cue huge orchestral/piano "bong" from out-tro to "Day in the Life")

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned on 4 Mar, H57 envy has taken me.

I was on the Wizard Models/Comet website looking for some large round buffer heads for my SIPHON Gs, and a complete H57 restaurant car kit fell into the shopping basket as well.....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob - this one is being sent away for construction - my skills aren't up to it.

I reached my limits with "brass sides onto RTR".

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the messages and support icons. Much appreciated in the land of dust and grot. 

Back Home at last, and there were lots of boxes to unpack.

post-10306-0-33578300-1458597155_thumb.jpg

Lots of projects to do, and the Cabinet is packed full of things needing to be weathered......

So fingers crossed for a healthy balance of time away earning pennies, and time at home enjoying them.

I hope that you and yours are healthy and happy too.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

........................and the lawn to cut, and the cars to mend, and the dog to walk, and the Family to vist.

Modelling session is booked for mid April.........

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Due to the awfulb weather in the South East today, my modelling started a bit earlier than I expected  :)

5 items today, concurrently, although one had a coat or 9 of Austerity Brown yesterday as seen on Robin's ANTB thread.

First listed -  a dark grey nondescript Hornby van which I purhcased via Ebay when I was buyng something else (another Hall!).  I took a look at "Seller's Other Items" and this came in for a couple of pounds.  Just like the other tarped van a few pages back, I shaved off the roof mouldings, added some HMRS decals for branding and weight.  Wheels were blacked and tarp glued and tied off in exactly the same way as before.  However, this time I added extra scribbles with the black marker pen, and then a light "long distance" coat of Halfords matt back before it was scrumpled up and glued on.  I think this looks better.  Couplings we removed and the smaller/newer type fitted instead.

post-10306-0-62208600-1459194249_thumb.jpg

Van will receive airbrush weathering in due course.

post-10306-0-96826500-1459194263_thumb.jpg

Next up were the three new Hornby Colletts, which all received darker roofs.  Easy job - mask, spray, remove mask and then titivate the ends where overspray creeps around the mask. 

post-10306-0-58290400-1459194276_thumb.jpg

From front to back in this shot they are coloured by, Humbrol tank Grey aerosol, with a "long distance" light coat of Railmatch "Dirty Black".  Centre is Railmatch "Dirty Roof" (or similar) and furthest is plain Halfords Matt black.

Nothing else really to do to these other than airbrush weather soon.

Next up is the Austerity Brown Brake Third.  This was a BR "blood and custard" version which helped when it came time to add the lining as I left the original Hornby lining in place as a guide to follow.  Brown is Holts "Triumph Russett Brown" as used a few posts ago.  This is no match for GW Chocolate as suggested by the famous RAF Lossiemouth list, but the "orangi-ness" of the Holts version is close to the real thing as seen at Didcot.  I do know that Austerity Brown was often mixed on the spot, and not always an accurate match every time, hence why I am content with this as a shade to use.

The new Hornby Collets come apart extremely easily, however the "flush fit" glazing requires a scalpel and a small blunt screw driver to prize it all out.  It is a force fit, and I needed to use a few blobs of "uhu" type glue to hold in in place when it came time to replace it.

post-10306-0-48532100-1459194295_thumb.jpg

A few distance shots of the semi finished article - roof is grey out of the box (it is/was the BR version) but a squirt of two of matt black and "roof dirt" improved the appearance.  Logos and lettering is HMRS, as is the lining.  Axle boxes had to be painted blue, and the brass curly handrails were touched back in.

post-10306-0-50031900-1459194288_thumb.jpg

post-10306-0-94835700-1459194313_thumb.jpg

So next on the slab tonight are my three Collett H33(ish) restaurant cars from Hornby. 

post-10306-0-09934200-1459194324_thumb.jpg

These have flaws a plenty, however one of the largest is the lack of gas tanks underneath.  5 per car, so Wizard models, the new owner of Comet, supplied me with the where-with-all to correct that.

post-10306-0-31624200-1459194331_thumb.jpg

I will update you.........

I hope you all had a happy Easter and aren't too sick after too much chocolate.....

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5