Poole track renewals

Only saw three of the seven locos on duty as I was on my way to work and couldn't hang around too much.

Here at 7.45am, 66738 (the only loco that was used both weekends) stands in Poole's carriage sidings with the train of new track. Like last week, some has been pre-formed to the correct curve.

Note too, that new lighting columns have been erected at the side of the sidings.

post-6880-0-05077400-1425755150.jpg

Arriving at the station around 9am there was only one loco to be seen - 66738 parked up by the former signalbox.

All the track had been relaid and ballasted. The PW engineers were using this gizmo to tidy up the ballast through the platforms.

post-6880-0-35739400-1425821665.jpg

It made quite a racket, as well as throwing out a fair amount of dust.

Meanwhile, by High Street Crossing tamper DR 73928 was busy working the ballast. Engineers were on hand to check the 6ft and 4t gauges.

Note that no checkrail has been fitted (as yet) to the up line (bottom left of picture). I wonder if it's been decided not to fit one ?

post-6880-0-04899200-1425824303.jpg

Just about to go, when I heard a loco horn in the distance and Colas 70807 slowly came round the curve from Holes Bay and stopped almost under the road bridge.

More fresh ballast.

post-6880-0-48123200-1425827087.jpg

Fortunately the driver didn't stop quite under the bridge, so one last shot of the class 70 before I left.

post-6880-0-72205400-1425827177.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Note that no checkrail has been fitted (as yet) to the up line (bottom left of picture). I wonder if it's been decided not to fit one ?

Probably because the tamper can't tamp around the check rail.

Arriving at the station around 9am there was only one loco to be seen - 66738 parked up by the former signalbox.

All the track had been relaid and ballasted. The PW engineers were using this gizmo to tidy up the ballast through the platforms.

attachicon.gifDSCN3655.JPG

It made quite a racket, as well as throwing out a fair amount of dust.

It is a  brush box.

• RMweb Premium

Probably because the tamper can't tamp around the check rail.

It could tamp it in situ but you'll get a better finished tamp / consolidation under the running rail where its needed if its tamped before fitting it.

Just for reference a couple of pictures of the state of the track before the works, prior to these I was fascinated by one sleeper that had completely rotted through! by the time I remembered to take my camera it had been replaced. Pics taken 24/7/2013

post-13586-0-31940700-1425912277_thumb.jpg

post-13586-0-02675400-1425912494_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That last shot is a little surprising and demonstrates why you don't fit Panlock keys (the broken brown ones) or steel keys in a check rail!

Wood keys only in a check rail!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

About time this stretch of track was done, many of the old sleepers in the station area looked to be in a terrible state.

I travelled through the station yesterday and a number of the sleepers at the start of the curve in the station had the chair fitted for the check rail (I assume these are the wooden sleepered panels furthest from the camera in the first picture of this thread) but no check rail fitted.

I noticed when I was done there yesterday that the baseplate fitting for a check rail seems to exist through much of the new track through  the Up platform but no check rail in place as yet (and a  nice sunny day to see it all as well)

Archived