Location help WCML in the fells.

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

This interesting 6x6cm slide was a recent bargain on eBay, shame the glass mount it was in arrived smashed to pieces in the post, however I do need some help with the location, date unknown but early 70's late 1960's the Hoover has pre TOPS numbers. A lot has changed in 40+ years so Google Streetview hasn't been much help. Is the road the A6, A66 or a very early version of the M6? Two very new and big drainage tunnels are significant.

I think the first lorry is an Austin? If anyone can help confirm or correct this please do.

p252529415-5.jpg

I think its a bit further north than that.

It looks like slightly south of Beattock summit where the A74 used to pass under the railway (this is now the B7076) and the new A74(M) no longer crosses the railway at this point, staying on the hillside behind the train in this photo.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon C has it right.

It's Harthope viaduct, there are quite a lot of views of it in railway books covering Beattock.  There are also a number of photos on the web.

David

As GordonC says the A74 has now been replaced by the M74. As a result the road under Harthope Viaduct is back to a single carriageway, after, by the look of the photo, having been dualled (no doubt at great public expense) in the 1970s.

• 9 months later...

This interesting 6x6cm slide was a recent bargain on eBay, shame the glass mount it was in arrived smashed to pieces in the post, however I do need some help with the location, date unknown but early 70's late 1960's the Hoover has pre TOPS numbers. A lot has changed in 40+ years so Google Streetview hasn't been much help. Is the road the A6, A66 or a very early version of the M6? Two very new and big drainage tunnels are significant.

I think the first lorry is an Austin? If anyone can help confirm or correct this please do.

p252529415-5.jpg

My thoughts about the lorry is to agree with the OP that it is a Austin artic unit. A lot of these were used by British Railways cartage dept.

Keith.

The duel A74 going under the railway was a huge improvement on what was there before, being the main road to Scotland.  The replacement motorway follows a completely different path, going along the hillside behind & parallel to the railway, it has some pretty steep gradients too.  

The old duel A74 was retained as the non motorway route (to save building a new road) & singled to save maintenance as a single carriageway (B7078) is all that is required.  It makes a very good drive though being effectively designed as a major road.  I travelled it in the old car a couple of days after the motorway was opened.  Didn't see another vehicle for miles & the workmen finishing the landscaping on the verges didn't expect anyone to be using it either !

edited to correct the B road number, how could I forget the number when I have travelled the road so frequently   :jester:

a lot of the old 2nd carriageway is the now cycle route

You would never guess from the aerial view on Google that there had been a dual carriageway there. Quite a contrast to the trackbeds of closed railways, which are often easily discernible on Google earth, even if only through subtle differences in vegetation.

The duel A74 going under the railway was a huge improvement on what was there before, being the main road to Scotland.  The replacement motorway follows a completely different path, going along the hillside behind & parallel to the railway, it has some pretty steep gradients too.  

The old duel A74 was retained as the non motorway route (to save building a new road) & singled to save maintenance as a single carriageway (B7078) is all that is required.  It makes a very good drive though being effectively designed as a major road.  I travelled it in the old car a couple of days after the motorway was opened.  Didn't see another vehicle for miles & the workmen finishing the landscaping on the verges didn't expect anyone to be using it either !

edited to correct the B road number, how could I forget the number when I have travelled the road so frequently   :jester:

a lot of the old 2nd carriageway is the now cycle route

It's still the B7076 at Harthope, the B7078 starts at Abington after a brief dalliance as the A702 from Elvanfoot.

Where's my pedants hat... :scratchhead:

no wonder I just know my way & don't bother with the road signs  !!!

You don't have to tell me... I once had to phone 999 and remain calm while we eventually figured out I was on a very short section of the B723 rather than the B7076.

And the time I had a conversation with the AA woman when she insisted there was no M74 where I said I was... 'is it the A74(M)?'... eesh...

• RMweb Premium

You don't have to tell me... I once had to phone 999 and remain calm while we eventually figured out I was on a very short section of the B723 rather than the B7076.

And the time I had a conversation with the AA woman when she insisted there was no M74 where I said I was... 'is it the A74(M)?'... eesh...

They can be quite different roads - the M1 and the A1(M) being a good example. The Ax(M) notification means that the road is still the Ax, albeit legally a motorway. It retains its status as far as the road numbering schemes go (i.e. any A road starting between the A1 and A2 should be the A1somethingorother).

The A74(M) / M74 situation is a bit more of a mess though. Roughly speaking the M74 is the older bit nearer to Glasgow and the A74(M) the newer bit further south. And don't suggest to some people that the whole lot should just be the M6 now... (there are some signs on it with patches that when removed have M6 underneath...)

I have never quite understood the M74/A74(M) because although one changes to the other around the Abington area, the junction numbers just carry on rising southbound, until junction 22 one one side of Gretna, followed by junction 45 about a mile down the road because it is now the M6.

Archived