What is a PayPal 'E-Cheque'?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I recently sold something on EBay and received payment via PayPal in the form of an 'e-cheque' or something similar (something new to me) that would take according to the message 5 to 7 days to clear.

Ten days later it appears to have 'bounced', I have no money and the buyer has gone all silent despite polite messages being sent.

Advice sought please!!

TIA!

• RMweb Gold

Memory is a bit vague but I think there's a seller accepts stage before you wait for payment to clear.  Might be worth a contacting PayPal for advice first, only because it might save you time.  If you don't get clear information then file a non-payment claim so that you aren't charged seller fees.

Open a dispute for non payment, Ebay likes you to give the other person 7 days.

You could just cancel the order for non payment, both routes you will get your fees back

Do go on to the on-line help desk, they are very good and will advise. Then decide what to do.

You may well be able to offer a second chance option if there was another buyer

• RMweb Gold

They are normally created if the buyer's card has expired and they have their settings to automatically pay if they won an auction. It is a way PP withdraw the funds on a very slow direct debit. I take it you haven't sent the goods yet?

We often used to get messages from people chasing their goods because they had seen an email from PayPal telling them the card had expired and an E-cheque was been created, please enter your new details here to pay immediately and they had either ignored it completely or had assumed it was the usual "you have made a payment" email and not read it correctly.

• RMweb Premium

Thus far I have not sent the item and tried contacting the buyer again.  If no joy by the middle of next week I will press the big naughty ebayer button....

• RMweb Premium

Update on this, the buyer has 100% positive feedback BUT almost twenty of those are actually negatives for non paying by bouncing e-cheques and no communications (thanks to Ebay's ridiculous policy that means we can not leave proper negative feedback).

Well he has one more now....  I have also added him to my banned bidders list.  :rtfm:

• RMweb Premium

Get's more interesting this morning.  Now I have left negative (as best I can) feedback for this guy (swiftly followed by two others in the same vein by the way) I get a message from this buyer this morning with thinly veiled death threats.

Love a fight....  :sungum:

You should open an official dispute procedure.

That way all communications between yourself and the non-payer will be saved on the dispute file and can be viewed by Ebay when making judgements.

Some rather nasty individuals seem to have permeated certain sections of Ebay (and Amazon Market Place in my experience) over recent years.

• RMweb Premium

Duly reported in addition to the unpaid item case.  How anyone can get away with over twenty unpaid sellers yet have a 100% positive feedback rating is simply unbelievable.

I pointed out the large number of "negative" feed backs this buyer has to EBay in my report so hopefully they should do something about it.

And there goes a flying pig.....

Get's more interesting this morning.  Now I have left negative (as best I can) feedback for this guy (swiftly followed by two others in the same vein by the way) I get a message from this buyer this morning with thinly veiled death threats.

Love a fight....  :sungum:

I would go straight to the police and send him a copy of the crime number, or whatever they call it.

I sold a Lima loco to someone on eBay on the 15th of this month & didn't hear a squeak for a week (in spite a couple of polite reminder messages), so I opened a case for non-payment on the 22nd.

As before, since then there has been no contact whatsoever from the 'buyer', but this morning I received a message from PayPal to say that I've received an 'eCheque' (that may take until the 8th of April to clear...).

I can't say my expectations are particularly high at this point, but we'll see what happens! :)

• RMweb Premium

I didn't even know they existed until this one showed up and then a few days later promptly bounced out again.  Needless to say I shall not be accepting them in future!!

I don't understand the problem. Do as PayPal say, and wait for the e-cheque to clear (I do this for normal cheques too), and there is no problem. Your Paypal account flags items when it is safe to send them.

I don't understand the problem. Do as PayPal say, and wait for the e-cheque to clear (I do this for normal cheques too), and there is no problem. Your Paypal account flags items when it is safe to send them.

There is supposed to be a Paypal/eBay seller protection system, but does it protect the seller ?

• RMweb Premium

Well a week after filing a detailed report with Ebay the buyer is still active, still has 100% positive feedback and six more aggrieved unpaid sellers metaphorically banging on his door.

Quire clear to me now Ebay don't give a toss as long as they get their money.

Archived