DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha

The new Alpha "sniffer" DCD-SNX is about to hit the shops. https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/alpha-sniffer/

It's a 1 amp DCC driver primarily designed to control a separate DCC accessory bus, even if the trains are controlled by DC.

Looks like an ideal solution to over-ride my existing Lenz controlled pointwork. (Changing points via a Lenz handset isn't particularly efficient on a large layout)

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting - theres no mention of a DCD-SNX on the DCC concepts website (not that i could find anyway), but that doesn't surprise me as there's still no documentation for the Alpha MiMic which i bought a few months ago.

The description of what you describe sounds like the DCP-AUX (or DCD-AUX depending where you look), i wonder if this is the stripped down guts of the same thing?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two years on from the last post in this thread, and things haven’t changed that much, it would seem.

I have recently purchased and installed a Cobalt Alpha system on my own layout. I use a Gaugemaster Prodigy wireless DCC controller with an additional wired handset set up as cab 2. I purchased two Alpha Central units and the associated Prodigy connectors, it was described as simply like adding another cab for accessories. Like others, I ended up having to add an alpha box to get it to work, and also elected to get the alpha power unit to increase the system to 5 amps.

Having separate control of the accessories has improved the user-friendliness of DCC no end. One of the appeals of the DCC concepts approach for me, was the high-end look and feel of the units, in their slim, smart looking cases that look like they should assemble together into a harmonious unit. Some do, but annoyingly others don’t, notably the alpha box and alpha power units have too many cables in the way to fir snugly beside each other. The bulk Ines and location of the connecting cables definitely could have been thought through better.

I am also in the process of adding an alpha mimic board as a visual aide to the layout plan and to display point settings. This is a really nice system that goes together well and can be used with any make of control system. I found an unusual size of drillbit - 6.8mm - available from B&Q was best for fitting the LEDs into the panel.

I would summarise the DCC concepts way of doing things as being well made stuff that mostly looks good, but is rather ‘bitty’ to assemble. Too many extra bits and pieces that complicate assembly and push the price up, when they could so easily have integrated much of it together. Also, with alpha central having 12 pairs of buttons, and alpha mimic also coming in blocks for 12 switches, you need to think in multiples of 12 accessories when assembling your system. If you need 13 accessory control switches, for example, it lacks the flexibility...

Edited by Chamby

• 10 months later...

I’ve search for and resurrected this thread to pass on a couple of bits of info from DCC Concepts at Warley.

The Alpha AEU is being reworked to incorporate the Mimic function.

This means multiple Alpha control panels around the layout, will all display the same route information.

Change points on one panel and all panels will mimic the lights on that panel.

A routing module is due out soon.

I’m not sure if this will just memorise macro type sequences of point settings, or if it will also provide NX entry and exit settings, where selecting the first and last points on a panel will automatically set any or all other points in between.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I’ve search for and resurrected this thread to pass on a couple of bits of info from DCC Concepts at Warley.

The Alpha AEU is being reworked to incorporate the Mimic function.

This means multiple Alpha control panels around the layout, will all display the same route information.

Change points on one panel and all panels will mimic the lights on that panel.

A routing module is due out soon.

I’m not sure if this will just memorise macro type sequences of point settings, or if it will also provide NX entry and exit settings, where selecting the first and last points on a panel will automatically set any or all other points in between.

Ron

We are always looking at ways to improve and expand our product range. The above is on the radar and is being worked upon. "Soon" is relative. It will be ready when it's ready.

21 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Might this explain why DCCConcepts had an offer recently on some Alpha bundles (Alpha Power, Alpha Box & Alpha Central), to clear out some of the stock?

No - the bundles are not related to ongoing product development.

The DCC Team

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, DCCconcepts said:

We are always looking at ways to improve and expand our product range. The above is on the radar and is being worked upon. "Soon" is relative. It will be ready when it's ready.

Good to hear.

Thanks for the update

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 14:34, DCCconcepts said:

It will be ready when it's ready.

Nice. Very informative for the customer. If the gestation period is anything like the Alpha switch Ds and solenoid accessory decoder restocking times, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

I have never known a company to be out of stock of key core components for nigh on 12 months now, and can't give a firm restock date. 

Very odd.

On 11/12/2019 at 22:31, blueeighties said:

Nice. Very informative for the customer. 

It's the only deadline that makes any sense. 

Say they promise it for a given date, and unforeseen problems mean it's not ready by that date. They get  slated for being late. 

They are developing the product, and to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld still have 'Unknown unknowns'. When they know all the unknowns and develop solutions then they will have a working product, but lacking a crystal ball all they can't say for sure when that will be.

Hence it will be ready when it's ready.

Cheers

Dave  

Edited by DaveArkley
oops can't not can!