Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

Same day, I think it was a Saturday or Sunday evening. Behind P464 is the old Shiphams factory, now Tescos.  I use to bemoan the DMU's, but would give anything to have them back. Not least because they were infinitely more comfortable than today`s units.

post-22783-0-66385500-1428965613_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Here`s another from Crediton 47575, Oddly enough, I saw a picture of the same loco, running light engine through Crediton, (taken from a different angle, but presumably on the same day), for sale on e-bay. I couldn't see myself in the other picture though. Odd, because I don't recall seeing anyone else on the platform that day.

post-22783-0-79998500-1429047111_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Great collection of photos!

Thanks Mudmagnet.

Just out of curiosity, I have been going through a lot of the pics on here and on some of the Flicr accounts just to see if I can spot myself in any of the photos. Has anyone else found themselves in other peoples pictures.

Here is another pair of views from Newton Abbot on a summer saturday in the 1980s before the semaphore signals were replaced.

Firstly one of the Western Regions named 47s

post-7081-0-02201500-1429278422.jpg

47510 Fair Rosamund, one of the Old Oak allocated namers, arrives at Newton Abbot with the 08.57 Paddington - Paignton 3/7/82

Looking the other way

post-7081-0-28021700-1429278468.jpg

50044 Exeter comes into Newton Abbot with a service from Paignton, 3/7/82

cheers

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Pop Up Stabling Point!

The summer of 1982 and an outpost of Newton Abbot? This makeshift refueling point appeared behind Goodrington Sands Halt. It is easily modelable requiring only 3 wagons - a TTA a VEA and twin tank oil wagon. It saved trips back to Newton Abbot for long distance arrivals at Paignton needing fuel. Ironically it was too late as the number of Saturday workings were dwindling by the 80's - the following season it wasn't required. This 50 parked alongside has already been replenished. I never did see it in action probably because in trainspotting days if one was lurking down at Goodrington Sands Halt you could easily miss something coming into the other yard or running round in the station. It would be good to see if anyone else captured this anomaly of the modern era. I have not heard of one being set up anywhere else.

post-12275-0-94189100-1429971889_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Still finding my way around these negatives. This looks very much like the arrival of 50009 with another 50 behind it at Paignton. It would then be split off in the yard to go to the fuelling point seen earlier.  Not quite West Coast Main Line but a pair of 50's arriving at Paignton today would cause a stir! Very nice vintage gate lamp! Someones wall adornment now?

post-12275-0-49858300-1429972976_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Feeling frivolous! Spot the train, name the train and location. Taken from my childhood bedroom!

I'm not too familiar with them thar parts of the world, but red sandstone, HST, and what appears to be holiday destination buildings in the distance.

Is it Torquay?

I'm not too familiar with them thar parts of the world, but red sandstone, HST, and what appears to be holiday destination buildings in the distance.

Is it Torquay?

Yes, I reckon Torquay in the distance, the HST is approaching, or leaving, Paignton

I think I can make out a footbridge above and right of the HST that is part of the coast path and leads to Hollicombe Beach

cheers

Pop Up Stabling Point!

The summer of 1982 and an outpost of Newton Abbot? This makeshift refueling point appeared behind Goodrington Sands Halt. It is easily modelable requiring only 3 wagons - a TTA a VEA and twin tank oil wagon. It saved trips back to Newton Abbot for long distance arrivals at Paignton needing fuel. Ironically it was too late as the number of Saturday workings were dwindling by the 80's - the following season it wasn't required. This 50 parked alongside has already been replenished. I never did see it in action probably because in trainspotting days if one was lurking down at Goodrington Sands Halt you could easily miss something coming into the other yard or running round in the station. It would be good to see if anyone else captured this anomaly of the modern era. I have not heard of one being set up anywhere else.

I went to Goodrington one saturday in July 1982 and spent some time taking photos but I was at the other end of the sidings

and never realised the fuelling point was there.

Now you have mentioned it I see in some of my photos the TTA is just discernable in the distance through the bridge.

post-7081-0-91474300-1429974256.jpg

A general view from the east end of the sidings with a HST and 50044 Exeter awaiting their next duties,

I think the TTA and a loco can just be made out beyond the bridge, 31/7/82

cheers 

• Like 13

There was a model shop in Torquay, when I used to go on holiday there with my parents. Is it still there?

I can't remember the name, but it was out of the centre somewhere and seemed to be an alladin's cave of bits and pieces for the more experienced modeller, but I was on pocket money so just had to stand open mouthed looking at all the shelves and boxes.

It was run by an old chap who seemed to know where everything was, despite the chaos in some parts of the shop. A request for certain items would result in a lengthy bout of removing hundreds of things from a shelf and rummaging through them.

• Like 2

I last would have visited the shop in 1988, so my memory is very hazy, but a search reveals an address of 59 Victoria Street which looks closer to what I think I remember than anything on Ellacombe Road - unless he moved at some point.

[edit] unless you meant Ellacombe Church Road, where he would have been on Victoria where it meets Ellacombe Church

Edited by Gerald Henriksen

Victoria Street address rings a bell. It was I believe in the Ellacombe district of Torquay.Turn up Market Street from the main street then up a long hill past a park and it was on a corner on the right. Mr Savage had a young employee who went on to work on the railways (real) in some capacity.

I had a look on Street View, and I think it was the shop just down from the corner of Victoria Road and Ellacombe Church Road.

The white building with the duck egg blue door and white windows. The shop was certainly quite a walk, and uphill, and I seem to remember the shop door being at an angle to the road. However, the last time that I set foot in there would be 1969, so things are rather hazy.

IIRC I purchased a Hornby Met Cam 2-car dmu with some of the money I had earned working on a farm after O Levels had finished.

Edited by jonny777

The shop closed quite a few years ago now. After George Savage retired the 'young employee' mentioned above - John Drummond-Smith- ran the shop for a few more years before finally closing it and he now works as a buffet car attendant. Back in the late Sixties a club was formed which met in the shop for the first few months before moving elsewhere. RMWebbers Brian Harrap, Railwayrod and myself were all early members of that club and were regular customers of the shop.

PS - It was 59 Victoria ROAD (Victoria STREET is in Paignton). It has now been converted into a private house

Edited by HSB

A relatively unusual dmu for Paignton. Is it a class 120? They were the ones with orange curtains (in very thick material). Originally built including a buffet car which was never used on some of them allegedly. They had dials going up the window pillar so one could sit behind the driver and read the speedometer!

• Like 1