The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

That's good to know you have found a rattle can that will suit one of the needed colour range Martin.

It should keep on the shelf for a while unlike the auto spraying enamels. I have had to throw most of it away.

However I have not purchased a model paint rattle can in decades, Too expensive and not the best for brush painting. :>)

I do make use of auto acrylic lacquer rattle cans for primer, gloss coat and loco black on occasions.

Good value and no need to clean the spraygun :>)

A search of the Holts Dupli-color range might provide some more useful colours.

cheers

Bob

I have usable paint going back years,

Some of my Humbrol tinlets are from the early 70's, other brands bottles can be dated more than 20 years,

On another paint related issue, I don't know if you are aware Martin but many of the O gauge models made in the 40's/50's were painted with NSWGR paints.

Obviously, it helped if you worked for the railways or had friends who would share their ill gotten gains :>)

cheers

Bob

The 44 class is getting much closer to the finish line.

Many small details have been added.

A few to go yet.

Major ones are the ladders on the underframe, the horns and the decals for the numbers and L7 logos. Decals are in the process of being made for me.

Then the final painting and it can head out into the garden.

679520598_44body3.JPG.5a9476db492e83ee51f69414d8534be5.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Thanks Chris.

I have built and installed the air horns for both models.

It was at that stage I realised I not removed the two single horns from the RS3 body at the start as I should have.

They have been staring me in the face all this time. It's not like this is the first time I have done this mod :>)

Oh well, remove them, fill the holes, prime, paint, gloss coat.

post-5543-0-28318600-1504142330.jpg

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

Yesterday was mainly taken up getting the couplers fitted.

I have also fitted the ladders, handrails, uncoupler levers, MU connectors and air hoses.

Body side handrails need to be done next.

post-5543-0-97270000-1504398498.jpg

Decals are under way with Ted Freeman.

Once they are done and fitted I can finish the paint job.

Also have to fit a decoder and it will be ready for the road.

Anything else will be just window dressing.

cheers

Bob

Well done Marty..... sorry  no prizes offered today however.

It could be a VR S class or Comrail GM if I was inclined that way. A 421 would use a lot less of the F unit body.

Plenty of filling and filing on the roof to be done before I start drilling holes on the sides.

P1010192.JPG.3b130ea6c8610e6bcd95f4305c03aa83.JPG

The project has its origin in an Atlas F9 I purchased in the mid 90's to make the body into a 42 class. I had hoped the mech could be used for a 41 class.

I decided I needed another body to do a cut and shut so it has been used as the test mule for track building and paint mixes for many years.

I recently got another body and while waiting for decals for the other two projects I decided to just have a look and write down the conversion ideas.

Ha ha.... so much for that idea!

I realised it might be easier to just use the one body and the recent purchase is what you see here.

For those who don't know the NSWGR purchased some locally built locos using the innards from then current GM F7's and gave them the designation 42 class. The supplied nose sections were cut back by 7" in width and the rest made locally to a reduced height to fit the loading gauge.

The loco was extended 11' compared to the F units to accommodate 3 axle bogies for the lighter track construction of the NSWGR main lines.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

I suggested this as a possible conversion project to a certain O gauge group a few years ago, and it was rejected as not being worthwhile. Any conversion is going to have to be a near-enough project. Heck, I am in the middle of a stalled Terrier to N67 conversion, and that will only be a "close enough."

Those who have their wallets filled enough to not want a 'near enough' model have my admiration Martin.

They will just have to wait for some Asian craftsmen to build them.

I have a much emptier wallet and just have to make do.

I used an E7 or E8 in N scale decades ago but never built one from an F unit in HO as many others did. I think I planned to again use an E unit when I was in S scale.

Meanwhile my decals arrived specially done by Ted Freeman and make my poor attempt at a 44 class look much better.

25118581_44readytoroll.JPG.9c8ad3c011cea79b7d1a7be217427b4c.JPG

I declare it fit for service. Not sure what decade I will get down to AMRA Sydney to see if the idea of a dual purpose model will work.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

While I am on a roll I decided the original F9 should finally be converted too.

This loco has been found in Mount Newman colours and much less believably as 4207   :>)  "gulp" over time.

Here it is ready to take the missing 11' of body once some paint stripper has been applied..

P1010198.JPG.8a73c5f5383bd938e1c3acdcd13b5ab6.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

BobC,

FINALLY made it over here to see what you've been up to, great stuff!!!

My kids finally got their own house after living here 4 months so I'm slowly getting back at modeling.  Working on a Seaboard Air Line Express boxcar resin kit.  I've built other kits but this is my first in resin so I'm trying to take my time.

I'll be checking back so keep up the excellent work, being from the states all this "foreign" RRing is well...foreign to me :jester:

BobD

Hi BobD, good to see you here.

I'm a foreigner too, and not the only one. :>)

Hope you survive the storm about to hit Florida intact.

Perhaps you can show the assembled crowd here some of your efforts when thing have settled down again.

I think a few of the 3-railers that are here might well be interested in how you have massively improved your layout by taking out the middle rail and used battery/radio.

Most here will not understand that 2 rail is a very expensive exercise in the US and  being on a budget just like me means coming up with innovative solutions.

regards

Bob

Is it possible for you to do a couple of head-one photos of the Atlas F7 body shell? I would like to see how it compares with the NSWGR 42 class. Some people insist that the shape is all wrong, but as I have only ever seen a 42 class from the side, I can't really tell the differences - aside from the different road number boxes.

Just for your viewing pleasure Marty.

P1010201.JPG.a22d5078b4f08606e84d1ef2a38a762f.JPG

I think it looks OK to me and that is all that is important.

If it is an accurate model then it should need 7 inches removed from the centre and then be rejoined.

Stop listening to such twaddle and get on with building a railway and running trains.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Well progress on these two bodies will have to slow for now until the roof fans arrive.

Lift rings, ladders, hand rails and windscreen wipers could now be added.

I might look at the chassis build now as my 40 class decals are still in progress.

P1010205.JPG.1f6a3f1a41d6593d64c59b26faa0f3a1.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1