The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

I have started another couple of projects.

One of which is a 19 class.

Today I started on the frames.

attachicon.gifP1010619 s.JPG

cheers

Bob

I'll be following this one with interest! I used to have a Century-Models 19 class ready-built, but I sold it some years ago when I was experiencing financial difficulties. I believe I have a chimney and dome somewhere. A friend of mine upgraded his kit with a number of items and I obtained several of the cast-offs from him.

It won't pay to be in too much of a hurry with this one Marty.  I am getting slower at building these days. But if you have a chimney and dome and maybe a headlight the hardest parts are already done. The chassis is my usual 1.5mm styrene and once again I will omit the brass bearings and just run the axles in the plastic as do many commercial models.

No kits available at the moment so it is this or nothing.

cheers

Bob

It won't pay to be in too much of a hurry with this one Marty.  I am getting slower at building these days. But if you have a chimney and dome and maybe a headlight the hardest parts are already done. The chassis is my usual 1.5mm styrene and once again I will omit the brass bearings and just run the axles in the plastic as do many commercial models.

No kits available at the moment so it is this or nothing.

cheers

Bob

Glenn Scott from ModelOKits should have them. I'd be interested to know what size pipe you are using for the boiler barrel. I seem to recall that 32mm was about right.

Haven't got around to looking for boiler pipe yet but 32mm is a common pressure pipe size and would be only slightly larger than scale.

When I looked the other day both the 19 and 30 tank were out of stock.

I probably would have passed them over as I prefer to do as much as possible myself or buy RTR. I am not much of a kit man.

cheers

Bob

Only one way to find out Martin!    :>)

Hint ..... build the chassis first, then make the body to fit.

A bit more done today

attachicon.gifP1010634 s.JPG

cheers

Bob

Wow Bob great progress going on up North, a fleet of more wagons and a new loco taking shape.

I’ve not see a model train until yesterday, since the Epping clubs exhibition as straight after we left on a trip around this Great land of ours again the layouts are all stacked up as it was home from show unpack trains pack for trip leave.

Did have a trip out of Forsyth on the Savannalander this time.

Time to get back out to the trains, set the layout up and have a Running session

Your 19 looks nice I’ve always liked the porthole cab on the 19

Will follow the build as inspiration as I should get back and finish my one.

Hi Chris, wondered where you had got to.

I thought you had moved off to G1   :>)

Glad to hear you had a good trip away.

Marty, the smoke box front is a piece of 20 thou cut to the outline. You can use a copy of the drawing glued on temporarily with PVA to cut the shape out.

Note: the old copy of the Data Sheet I have has a different frontal view to the side view, suspect frontal view is early boiler ( guess how I found that out?) so I drew it up myself.

Another bottom half can also be cut out for the rear, although I didn't do it here.... just some off-cuts and filler.

The wrapper is 20 thou partly pre-bent to shape by hand. Make it slightly long and then cut back to size when joints are dry.

You could impress the rivets in the wrapper with a pounce wheel before assembly.

I have some decal rivets on hand so I intend to use them for this job.

The front smoke box rivets will be done with either epoxy or acrylic KwikGrip dots.

The smoke box door is 40 thou cut out using both points on my old school centre wheel compass (springbow)  as a cutter. I don't go all the way through but use the score and snap method with radial cuts to do it in sections.

The dished front is done by hand with files and is mainly confined to the edges. Too unpleasant in the garage at the moment to set up the lathe. :>)

The operating lever is the older version and is probably incorrect for this late a model but I just wanted to see how it would look if I built one. It is just a small washer with a short HO handrail knob and some phone wire .

To do a modern one I would just use a small circle of 20 thou with a length of rod glued on the back  and mounted slightly proud with some styrene at the rear as a spacer.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

Slaters 7080 Martin

They look the part Bob been trying to decide what to do on my 19 tender I had some whitemetal ones but can’t find where they have been safely put, so some Slaters plastic ones look to be the go. Much easier to glue in place as well

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Chris, they will turn up once the new ones have arrived. Glenn told me he is keeping some Slaters items that are not yet on the MOK website so might worth a call there first.

Getting visitors again so work output is slowed.  :>)  or that's my excuse!

cheers

Bob

It would have been greatly helpful if slaters had pictures of all their components listed on their website. I've been making use of near-enough components from them for some years, but I've had to go through some hard searching of the item description and then find matching prototype photos to see if they are close-enough for my needs.

Marty, it is sometimes useful to look for an item being sold on feebay. They always come with a photo or two.

Some electrical work on the tender today. Only the outer wheels will be used for a start.

107420195_P1010641s.JPG.e35400ccd423b137590323a8331959c7.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 4

Going to give it a go without a gearbox to start, mainly because the cupboard is bare at the moment. :>)

I had thoughts of mass producing my own but haven't got around to that yet!

Because I took so long to decide where the motor was to be located I paid the penalty yesterday, having to very carefully remove parts of the boiler tube and firebox.  The 1833 just fits but will protrude into the cab.

671015118_P1010645s.JPG.dde8411e6cc53e5ebc8c8cf91d5f7ba5.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc