Gresley Statue Kings Cross Altercation

• RMweb Gold

19 new members

2 obituaries (sic)

5 resignations (2 ill health)

36 memberships lapsed

Thanks for that.

That's a healthy number of new ones but the number lapsed seems high, we are generally in single figures for lapsed.

Overall we are growing each year but taking those figures in isolation that's quite a decline.

The fallout from the GST and some of the personalities at the top of seem to be affecting another society too

To this the reply was

19 new members

2 obituaries (sic)

5 resignations (2 ill health)

36 memberships lapsed

So do these figures relate to the GST or the 'other society' ?

And to put them in context what is the total membership that they affect?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

To this the reply was

So do these figures relate to the GST or the 'other society' ?

And to put them in context what is the total membership that they affect?

Regards

I understand the figures relate to the GST.

IIRC the figure for membership is 400-450 for the GST, I think I saw that on the company return.

Chris

At the risk of offending the PC brigade on here with what the prudish will say an offensive joke, i will paraphrase a very old gag from i believe the mid 40's

I think the reason behind the 'il health' note ,is they were sick of the attitude shown by some council members!

The actual joke for those of a tender age is

I left my last job due to illness and fatigue... i was sick and tired of the foreman

i'll get me coat

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What is happening to the duck?  I would like it for my front step.

Ed

The duck is alive and well. He is now living in the Hunny Bell public house in North Norfolk. He's doing very nicely on titbits from diners in the snug.

post-12721-0-65206600-1475736819_thumb.jpg

I take it the duck is definitively dead?

If so, "Booh!" to the Humourless Descendent (after all, there is no sense that anyone wanted to honour him for his achievements, so the relevance of his point of view seems somewhat marginal).

"Booh!" also to the Gresley Society for being so craven. If certain posts are to be believed, they have been egregiously pompous and disingenuous too, but that is hearsay, and I should disregard it.

The Duck Exclusion Order does seem to represent the triumph of the petty, humourless and self-important, conspiring, once more, to ensure that the Universe's store of fun is further diminished. 

Do the Pygmies who set themselves up to guard the memory of this Colossus realise the disservice they do to him and the fools they make of themselves?

Thrice "Booh" to you all, you duck-hating Perishers!!!

He was a great man, notwithstanding others could build 4-6-0s more powerful than his 4-6-2.  But, really and seriously, a very great engineer and also a very great man in all senses, if the biographies are to be believed, and it does not strike me that he was the sort of miserable, self-important humourless little Toad who would banish ducks from his side because of some pompously misconceived notion of dignity.

I am sure Sir Nigel would have subscribed to the view that there is "nothing like a little judicious levity".  

Archived