Landship Train

Tin Turtle

After lusting after this set since I saw it announced, finally arrived in stock at Hattons today and mine has been dispatched, a treat to myself after getting paid for my book 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War'. Looks worth it for the 3835 Class (or 4F) alone, I look forward to seeing how they've done the tanks. The wagons will be of use, too

I picked one of these sets up at the weekend.  I am a modern diesel era modeller, but it looked so cute, I thought I would treat myself just in case I ever change my interests.

Tanks are very nicely done as a resin moulding and look very effective, although a bit tricky to ease out of the polystyrene packaging.  Price was very reasonable and what I paid must be about the same as buying a similar loco separately.

Retro packaging is very nice too, although a bit of overkill for the contents.  I was also surprised to see a numbered certificate inside.

I would urge anyone interested to get one before they sell out.

Just waiting for the LMR set now.

Regards

Rich

Just retrieved my set from neighbour.

Like sharpshooter diesels are my main interest but couldn't resist. My only previous modern steam purchase was the 2MT. Again a lovely loco but this 4F appears to take it up another level. Hadn't expected or noticed a certificate but just checked again and it's there- thanks for the tip Sharpshooter!

A quick question for those more in the know on topics Midland. Am I right to think that the Farish ex-midland brake van is a model of a van introduced post WW1? Presumably perfectly prototypical for the Midland liveried 4F to run with an LMS liveried Brake in the immediate post-grouping period though?

I know Peco used to produce an earlier (?) Midland Brake. I did enquire of them whether they might consider a further run in Midland Livery based on the introduction of a Midland liveried loco but the answer was no. 

Like you Karhedron, I'm hoping all these train packs sell well and Bachmann are encouraged to widen the range.

Rob

A quick question for those more in the know on topics Midland. Am I right to think that the Farish ex-midland brake van is a model of a van introduced post WW1? Presumably perfectly prototypical for the Midland liveried 4F to run with an LMS liveried Brake in the immediate post-grouping period though?

Strictly speaking the MR type brake van is a 1922-24 build, however very similar vans were built from c1910 so a relettered one would be passable. IIRC though, the MR builds were all without duckets. (Farish have produced variants with and without).

I model LMS and transition period, so this set is out of my normal range.

I model in 0 and 00, so this set is definitely 'out of gauge' for me.

Nevertheless, when I saw this in Digitrains last Tuesday, I had to buy it. Lincoln is my adopted home and the box has photos of landship trains ready to leave lincoln in 1916 and some interesting, if concise, box notes about the traffic generated.

Yesterday, I fitted mine with DCC sound. There's just enough room to squeeze in a ZIMO MX648 and a modified cube speaker. I'll post a video later.

The 'list price' of the set, Midland 4F loco, three bogie flats and three Mk4 tanks covered with tarpulins, is less than the list price for the loco alone in a later livery. This is a genuine bargain for four well detailed models.

Bachmann deserve this to be a success. If you don't get one, you'll regret it.

For me, this purchase was pure indulgence, but at this rate, I might be converted to 'N' yet. Lol.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived