Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

Here's a photo thru' the fence at Loughborough today of 'Teddy' & the Y7 on shed before the Mountsorrel branch trains this weekend.  You saw it here first!

post-14654-0-53414800-1445614881_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 7

I visited today but the weather was too wet to venture down the shed with my 3 year old daughter. No chance to investigate the smoke deflectors on the 9F. From a distance it looked like they had returned to normal. Jinty 47406 and Black 5 45305 were joined by D123 in service. I believe it will be the same tomorrow. The DMU is currently out of service.

During my visit I never saw the Mountsorrel train. Comments from some workers suggests that the branch will be fully opened in January.

One date to be aware of is on the weekend of 21st and 22nd November. This is the end of season gala that marks the end of the main operating season before the Santa trains kick in. The locos due to be in service are 6990, 777, 1744, 45305 and 92214. Should be worth a visit.

No chance to investigate the smoke deflectors on the 9F. From a distance it looked like they had returned to normal.

Looks to me like the bottom section of the deflector on the drivers side, and possibly the adjacent section of running board, was missing in that photo hence it looks a bit Scotsman-like.

Edit: as per this photo from David Chandler

22362279696_fe003e85be.jpgLoughborough 21st October 2015 by David Chandler, on Flickr

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Never mind trainspotting the tinwork on the 9F, there were better things to do today.....

The opening weekend for the Mountsorrel Railway featured 10 pretty fully-booked trains along the branch on Sunday, headed by Y7 130 borrowed from the Middleton Railway and with 'Teddy' at the downhill end. Parking was predictably a bit busy but we managed to park in the old quarry at Nunckley Hill which is where the heritage centre, sidings for the rail museum and intermediate station will be. The quarry rail system is being relayed with a sharply curved spur from the running line, forming three sidings. It will be very attractive and probably a hit with photo charters. A steam and diesel shunting loco to go with the restored Mountsorrel Granite wagons will be valuable. If you wanted a prototype for a small shunting plank layout this would do well!

It was about 10 minutes walk to the station at Mountsorrel where there was a display, coffee & bacon baps from a Citroen van, and a lot of people waiting to queue down the zigzag path to the platform. There were lots of friendly and helpful volunteers from the Mountsorrel Railway group.  I'd just ask some of the local BMW drivers to be a bit less psychopathic in their driving on Swithland Lane when there are so many pedestrians around!

The two locos did a good job with the two coach train of a recently restored BS compartment suburban and LMS inspection saloon. A really enjoyable visit and the message to the GCR should be that Mountsorrel will deserve regular trains next season when the displays start to open. No-one seemed to know how they will  do this; there is no run-round loop on the branch so a railcar or DMU service is most likely. Apparently the curves are a bit tight for the 3F 47406, though 37 diesels fit under the bridge.

Teddy was easiest to photograph at the downhill end; the Y7 was a bit harder.

post-14654-0-19818000-1445802941_thumb.jpg

Teddy running through Nunckley Hill

post-14654-0-43033300-1445802957_thumb.jpg

Y7 130 at Mountsorrel

Enjoy - that's it till 2016!

Dava

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ian Peattie did a book on the Mountsorrel Railway a couple of years ago (confess to not having it). There was a fleet of cabless Hunslet 0-4-0STs in a photo on display, and there is a preserved 0-4-0ST (Peckett I think) at Rocks by Rail which worked on the line, there is hope it will return when restored.

Dava

I like the 9F with the smoke deflectors; maybe the rag over the right side is a new development, self-cleaning smokebox as the loco goes along? A bit like the rags lorry drivers hang on their mirrors?

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see them reopen to Gotham too.

Yes, but what for? The trackbed just ends at a roundabout oppo the gypsum mine. It's a thorny bramble reserve, only the final section walkable, culverts missing. The Gotham sidings site has potential for an engineering base.

Dava

Yes, but what for? The trackbed just ends at a roundabout oppo the gypsum mine. It's a thorny bramble reserve, only the final section walkable, culverts missing. The Gotham sidings site has potential for an engineering base.

Dava

just because.........

Teddy was easiest to photograph at the downhill end; the Y7 was a bit harder.

attachicon.gifTeddy Mtsorrel.jpg

Teddy running through Nunckley Hill

Enjoy - that's it till 2016!

Dava

My goodness that's had some tyer wear apparently when it was new the cab roof was the same height as the coach behind it

Edited by Londontram

....you have the ££££ to finance it? There is a bridge to build a few miles down the track first!

Dava

Nah...just dreaming. I was at college about 4 miles from Gotham in the early 70's and often wondered about the old trackbed.

I've put what I can into the bridge build too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest GCR Newsletter says about Mountsorrel branch:

"HMRI has stated that through running onto the Branch of loaded passenger trains be limited to a few weekends per year"

Because the remodelling at Swithland was done before the Mountsorrel line was restored, it would cost $250k to install the S&T for regular through running, so that wont happen. So we can expect high days & gala days maybe. Also hope for shunting demo operations confined to the branch. It will need its own railcar at some point I think...

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Latest GCR Newsletter says about Mountsorrel branch:

"HMRI has stated that through running onto the Branch of loaded passenger trains be limited to a few weekends per year"

Because the remodelling at Swithland was done before the Mountsorrel line was restored, it would cost $250k to install the S&T for regular through running, so that wont happen. So we can expect high days & gala days maybe. Also hope for shunting demo operations confined to the branch. It will need its own railcar at some point I think...

Dava

What has it got to do with HMRI?  Under ROGS it is up to the GCR to carry out the necessary assessments and produce all the necessary paperwork subject to independent validation simply advising the ORR of its intentions, with supporting documentation.  The ORR might well comment on the documentation and it certainly has the power to suspend or prevent operations if matters are not presented to its satisfaction but any decision is down to the GCR.

In the past it was standard practice for HMRI to issue notices which limited operations to a stated number of occasions per annum but provided theh Railway's Safety Case and supporting documentation are in order things are now rather different although if they impact on the original Light railway Order for the GCR there is a slightly grey area.