Great Central Railway news

andyram

Guest B Exam

This weekend is Peppa Pig weekend. Two steam locomotives in service with a mainline diesel operating the 1.00 departure from Loughborough whilst one of the steamers operate the diner. The DMU is fostered on Loughborough - Rothley services, running I between the main service trains.

Yesterday the railway put out an A list cast with 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" and 777 "Sir Lamiel" providing the steam power. The DMU appears to have failed so it's diagram was operated by a class 45 top and tailed with a class 25. I think it was a 33 on the other service but only saw it fleetingly.

The DMU didn't fail, it was planned to use the Peak and the 25 on the Shuttle from earlier in the week due to operational reasons. Yes, the 33 was out on the 1.00pm departure.

Back to using the DMU today on the Rothley shuttles.

The DMU didn't fail, it was planned to use the Peak and the 25 on the Shuttle from earlier in the week due to operational reasons. Yes, the 33 was out on the 1.00pm departure.

Back to using the DMU today on the Rothley shuttles.

Right thanks. According to the website the DMU had been rostered for Saturday although i know that the 45 and 25 had been running a special service on Friday.

• 1 month later...

I visited the GCR last Saturday (8th October) for the Autumn Steam Gala, and had a great day. This railway really comes as close as possible to recreating the past; There were, as well as of course passenger trains (steam-hauled plus the DMU), freight trains, light locos, non-stopping (at Rothley) and the use of loops for one train to overtake another. At one point, while on a Down passenger train, we passed two Up freights in succession ! Everything was well organised and the railway ran like clockwork. Many thanks to those who give their time, effort and money to provide such a magnificent spectacle.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, some of my thoughts from my recent visit to the Great Central for the Gala weekend:

The Great Central offers a unique perspective on preservation for the viewer. With having two tracks it is able to give the visitor an insight into a by gone era. Here the infrastructure and stations are as important as the trains many think of first. Seeing sections clear, signal arms raise and dip in orchestrated diligence was a sight to behold and enjoy. The detail of this work really pays dividends by allowing more trains, to run but also safely and in a way that is fast disappearing from the modern railway today. Indeed, the sight of two passing and of stations where trains come frequently means that it can be a faster pace of action, of interest compared with many other railways that have become as established as this.

Great Centrals staff were by and large friendly, and welcoming. I found those responsible for getting my paperwork processed to join the friends and go lineside most helpful. Equally, some of the crews both on engines, stations and stock were more than welcoming and offered great company.

It was brilliant to see the line from various other vantage points. I took safety and the instructions most seriously, but also found other great enthusiasts happy to share their knowledge of the area and interest when venturing trackside.

The four days allowed me the chance to explore and get various other photographs. I tried to survey the line and get photos from different areas. Leicester North was tried on day two, before other areas around Quorn, Rothley, and Swithland across the weekend.

Highlights of the engine roster were the appearance of 70013 Oliver Cromwell as well as 78018 which was a regular engine from my own home turf of the North East and entering steam for the first time in preservation.

Pictures of the event can be seen at the following link;

http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/f719456636

• Like 2

Hi David

Really pleased to hear you had a great time at the railway.

I too went to see this amazing railway and now almost 5 years later I still travel up from Southeast London to take part in 2 of the gala's ( I'm now the TPO Train Manager! ) plus work at Rothley, currently on the DBT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of photos from recent GCR events.

The GCR Gala earlier this month was, as previous commentators observed, a great experience. I was on the 'Friends' stand on Loughborough station platform on the Sunday morning, so photographic opportunities were a little limited and most of mine were below par.

Here is 4566 leading the pair of Class 2MT 46521 and 78018 into platform 1.

post-14654-0-95335600-1477240957_thumb.jpg

Just this weekend, the GCR(N) had a Sulzer Running Day. This appeared to consist of 47292 with the vacuum fitted rake of 3 coaches. I'm not sure whether there were any variations to the motive power later in the day, but it was good to see the 47 have a work-out. Let's hope the buffet car gets repaired soon.

post-14654-0-58693600-1477240990_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-71923100-1477241006_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 1

Just this weekend, the GCR(N) had a Sulzer Running Day. This appeared to consist of 47292 with the vacuum fitted rake of 3 coaches. I'm not sure whether there were any variations to the motive power later in the day, but it was good to see the 47 have a work-out. Let's hope the buffet car gets repaired soon.

The day was intended to be 47292 & 47765 top/tail and load 4 (with SK 25695) but 47765 is currently marooned on the ECML near Peterborough along with a 2 other heritage locos, so day limited to just 292 & load 3 (max permitted when push/pull mode).

Some work is hopefully going to start on the RMB (1811) after 16168 (currently in the shed) is completed. I would think at this stage it won't see use again till 2018 at the earliest.

• Like 1

Actually I rather like it.  I'm more interested in what it will look like inside rather than what the outside looks like.  For some reason all of the released pictures of the proposals show what it could look like outside but are notable by being taciturn on the subject of the internal spaces and how the visitor will experience them.   

I like the building. It is a modern building for a modern museum, next to a station that is the most modern on the railway. When complete it will become an attraction in its own right. Without doubt it will bring more people to the Great Central and hopefully put more people on the trains as museum visitors will probably combine their visit with a trip on the line. It will also make Leicester North a valid destination with more passengers breaking their journey there. It will make the G.C a day out for families. The museum will also bring iconic G.C engines such as Butler Henderson, the O4 and Green Arrow onto wider display.

If you wind back a few years and consider Highley Station on the Severn Valley. It was a country station patronised by only a few people each day. Now it is one of the most used stops on the line after the opening of the Engine House. This building is a modern one too. But it has done a lot of good for the Severn Valley. I am sure the Leicester museum will do as much, if not more for the G.C. Those who wish to complain about the design should think more carefully about the benefits it will bring.

Edited by andyram

I like the building. It is a modern building for a modern museum, next to a station that is the most modern on the railway. When complete it will become an attraction in its own right. Without doubt it will bring more people to the Great Central and hopefully put more people on the trains as museum visitors will probably combine their visit with a trip on the line. It will also make Leicester North a valid destination with more passengers breaking their journey there. It will make the G.C a day out for families. The museum will also bring iconic G.C engines such as Butler Henderson, the O4 and Green Arrow onto wider display.

If you wind back a few years and consider Highley Station on the Severn Valley. It was a country station patronised by only a few people each day. Now it is one of the most used stops on the line after the opening of the Engine House. This building is a modern one too. But it has done a lot of good for the Severn Valley. I am sure the Leicester museum will do as much, if not more for the G.C. Those who wish to complain about the design should think more carefully about the benefits it will bring.

Architecturally speaking it does rather appear to be a revisitation of 1960s 'brutalism'. Perhaps when considered as a modern museum this feels somewhat more acceptable than if more emphasis was placed on it being the southern terminus station of the GCR. In the latter case the architecture could perhaps be more sympathetic to that of the GCR.

Indeed, the benefits the development will bring are more important than the design aesthetics surely. I think that given the fairly extreme design, folk are entitled to their views and that no-one is doubting the future benefits which are a somewhat separate issue.

It will be interesting to see how the success of the development will be catered for by large parking areas and transport infrastructure to and away from the site in general. I seem to recall some time ago that there was talk of a short extension southwards to Abbey Lane Coal Sidings where there was more space and greater proximity to the National Space Centre but this must surely be totally impractical by now.

I'm all for the development but wavering somewhat on the design. Could look great for a museum of space rockets...

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if we need to see more specifics and elevations of the design before rushing to judgment. I didn't manage to see the alternatives when displayed at a busy gala weekend.

I'm completely for the museum project, but understand the reservations expressed about the visuals of the winning design. We must have a design which works for the visitor and the exhibits, avoiding such aberrations as Zaha Hadid's Riverside Museum in Glasgow which we're now stuck with [and the Scottish historic locos are stuck in].

The GCR has a huge amount of capital to raise, to co-finance the Bridge to the Future, the Museum and other projects such as simply maintaining a near-120 year old railway, and bringing the Northern section up to operable standards comparable with the Southern section. Potentially there are great exhibits for the museum, not only the locos, but the MS&LR and GCR coaches at Ruddington and many smaller items. I'd like to see some of the surviving Leicester Central station rebuilt at the museum before it disappears, unloved. The real question is whether the winning design will be compelling enough for us to want to fund it?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I hope that the modern design of building is much cheaper and quicker to build than a more traditional building because other than those reasons, I can think of nothing very much that it has in its favour.

Perhaps they should demolish Loughborough station and replace it with a bus shelter if we want to go for a preserved railway in a modern style.

After going to all the trouble of trying to recreate a "period" station at the Leicester it is now going to have a big curvy block of concrete next to it.

The museum would have been an ideal opportunity to recreate a GCR loco shed, or a goods warehouse of the type that features on the lovely model of Leicester South. Such a design would sit very nicely with the present station and add to the period railway atmosphere. 

I don't have a problem with modern architecture in the right sort of setting. If it had been a gallery of modern sculpture and art, I would be applauding the design. Or if it was a "stand alone" railway museum building, not on a preserved railway site, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it isn't. It is a design that goes against all that a preserved railway environment should be. Of course that is just my personal opinion. Others may think that it is a great design and fits in with the theme of the preserved GCR well. I just don't see it!

More here and here.

Most images here

One of the designs looks somewhat like a modernist roundhouse, that would have been my choice if I had to go for a modernist option.

The winning entry seems to preclude any future 'mini-Marylebone' which was the original intention for Leicester North, as I recall.  I can't locate any artists impressions, there were some in the GCR house mag back in the mid-90s I am sure. I think they even had the ironwork for the overall roof tucked away somewhere. The existing short spur was going to become a second platform with a centre release road - that has gone from the winning site plan, which I think is a shame.

Oh well, whatever gets built it's certainly helping the GCR become a world-class heritage railway.  

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

The GCR's motto was "Forward", wasn't it? Therefore it's wholly appropriate to use modern architecture, fake old is what you'd see at Alton Towers, something modern is more honest.

I'll say whether I actually like it when/if I see it in it's completed state, artists impressions are usually misleading.

Edit: having seen some of the other options on Dr GFs links, I don't think the winner is my favorite, but it'll do a lot of good for the railway. A turntable at Leicester will be a useful facility for bringing in excursions and the like.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Gold

The GCR's motto was "Forward", wasn't it? Therefore it's wholly appropriate to use modern architecture, fake old is what you'd see at Alton Towers, something modern is more honest.

I'll say whether I actually like it when/if I see it in it's completed state, artists impressions are usually misleading.

Edit: having seen some of the other options on Dr GFs links, I don't think the winner is my favorite, but it'll do a lot of good for the railway. A turntable at Leicester will be a useful facility for bringing in excursions and the like.

Entirely agree.An Edwardian theme park is not the way forward.Part of the brief was that the structure has to sit harmoniously  within its landscape which is the fringes of the Charnwood Forest.It will also be an integral attraction to the city of Leicester in the same way that the Space Centre a couple of miles away,the Richard 111 Visitor Centre and of course ,Leicester City FC are. The city handled the new Richard 111 centre brilliantly and it should be allowed the freedom to get on with its brief with the GCR building which is very much its shout too.

Despite the fact that the UK leads the world in contemporary architecture,we do not it seems understand it. Prince Charles did its cause no favour many years ago with his views upon it.His Utopia is manifested in the village of Poundsbury in  Dorset which has recently been in the news when he unveiled a statue of his late much loved grandmother there.To me that now looks out of place in the Dorset countryside and has little relevance other than it appearing as something out of a TV set for "Brookside",But then,that's only my opinion.

Let's hear it for contemporary architecture which essentially serves its purpose for visitors of all kinds and sits comfortably within its environment.Besides,reclaiming antique buiding materials is a prohibitably expensive and frustrating activity.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with these sorts of projects is that they are put in the hands of people who want to make a bit of a name for themselves as designers. Copying an old design carries very little kudos, so such people are far more interested in created something that hasn't been seen before, rather than something that is a copy of something from the period.

So once you start asking architects to submit designs, rather than railway enthusiasts or professionals, this is what you get.

There have been several buildings built new for preserved railways that are sympathetic and in keeping with the idea of heritage and recreating the past (which is supposed to be what preserved railways are about).

This will not be one of them.

As I said, I don't have a problem with modern architecture. I think the way that the old sheds at Lincoln have been brought into modern use with sympathetic alterations is superb and there are some modern structures that I really admire and enjoy.

But in that situation, putting a modern design of building right next door to a station built to recreate the "old days" is just a horrible clash.