'Mosshill' No more? Future exhibition layout.

P.C.M

I have been thinking of doing an exhibition layout for some time and I think it's probably a good time to start a thread as I have mentioned it a few times on my Llanbourne thread. The build wont start straight away but I have already picked up a few items of stock. :senile:  As you may know I have been building Llanbourne for years so this will take some time to get going. 

Why Mosshill No more? Well for the last year or so my plan was to do something based along the lines of Mossend. A sort of half train idea with a few sidings and loco shed. I was involved with the New Forest Model Railway clubs building of Mossbank many years ago and went to Mossend in the late 80s and thought back then a small layout based on Mossend might work. Bachmann's  class 85 introduced a few years ago rekindled my Mossend idea's but after drawing up lots of different plans I couldn't make it work with only one fiddleyard and to get the variety of trains would mean a very busy fiddle yard and lots of stock changes which at an exhibition would be a pain. Last year I decided that my next layout would have hand built points and fine scale track, although still be oo gauge.

So, where am I at?  Well, having decided to build my own points the Mosshill idea was shelved and something with less points was decided on. It didn't take me long to work out what to do. I remember seeing Nigel Bowyer's Carron Road in the late 80s and thought back then it would be a good one to copy with a few modifications. Using this as my inspiration, I have drawn up many track plans over the years, and having recently gone back to this idea, i think I may just have cracked a plan I am happy with.

Some of you may remember seeing Carron Road, it appeared in Modelrail and Model Railway Journal back in the 90s. I think I saw it twice back in the day but the first time was at a show where I was helping to operate Mossbank. I can't remember where the exhibition was but there were some great layouts on show. Somerford with all it's hydraulics, Pengwynn Crossing and another big layout which I think was Healey Mills.

Being at the show for two days gave me plenty of time to watch these great layouts but Carron Road really struck me as a great layout with no wasted space at the front for fiddleyard and some nice little Scottish loco's pottering about.

With the change of idea I did think of changing the layout name hence the "No More" in the title which reminded me of a Proclaimers song from back in the day. Anyway, I quite like it so it will stay for now. I am still thinking of keeping the area of the layout in the Glasgow area which will allow a good variety of stock. The time period is 1985-86, Stock will be 08, 20, 26, 27, 37, and 47. The station will be served by a DMU and loco hauled trains. A morning parcels will also appear along with a mix of freight. The layout itself will have an oil depot and siding for a couple of vans, off scene will be a coal yard, other freight traffic will appear serving a near by yard which is probably a bit over the top for a small layout but you need variety at an exhibition and we all bend the rules a bit don't we? I have also added a small fuel point which will add more interest and the chance for LE to arrive from the near by yard. Time of year for the layout will be winter I want that cold icy feel to it with possibly some snow laying around something like the guys have done on the superb Aberdeen Kirkhill layout.

Now I know this isn't anything new and Scottish layouts are quite common but since my first visit to Scotland in 85 and seeing my fist class 27 shunting stock at Edinburgh Waverley I was hooked. I even converted two Lima class 33s to a class 26 and a class 27.all those years ago I even converted a Tri ang class 37 to a split box 37112 which is a loco I hope to do again.

I have attached a rough plan and some pics of the almost full sized  layout drawn out on  some cardboard. As I said this is a long term project so boards are a while off though hopefully this year I can make a start on building some points. Layout size will be 9ft by 2ft 6ish.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-37747700-1433058639_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45540500-1433058668_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10314200-1433058718_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-70142300-1433058749_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-72715000-1433058805_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-01369300-1433058873_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10749900-1433059645_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64020300-1433062040_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 15

Morning Peter, I still have the Carron Road articles in my, must do one day folder, and looking at your plan I do like it, neat compact and lots of operation. I also like the Scottish idea, I really liked my Heljan 26 and 27's on Glen Roy, there so smooth.

Good luck and lets see it up and running.

BTW Penguin Crossing was at DEMU yesterday and its the first time I've seen it. When the Bentley Group bought it, they back dated it to Steam, but the Guy with all the Steam Stock left the Club and its now back as Railfreight and looking good. The only down side was that all the stock was very nicely weathered but NO LOCOS were weathered which sort of disjointed the whole thing a bit.

You must remember the old well worn 50 that used to run on the Layout.

post-9335-0-53275200-1433064272_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54167900-1433064360_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Peter,

I really like your idea, the overall plan looks good and flows nicely.

Is that a pic of 112 above at QS? When was it taken 84/ 85???

I shall be keeping an eye on this project - as you know I have a bit of a liking for the Scottish stuff ;)

post-4186-0-05099900-1433064655_thumb.jpeg

post-4186-0-63620300-1433064679_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Lee

PS:- after all these years of having the photo of 175, I've just realised there is a bus on the bridge in the background.... oh that'll never do :D

Edited by HealeyMills
  • Like 4

Looking forward to how you get on with this.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul,

As I said it's going to be a long term project but thought I would start the ball rolling. It will help keep me fired up to do it, and could always help someone else get motivated to to build something similar.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I am both surprised and not surprised you have chosen to do a Scottish layout, your tinkerings with McRats on the other thread suggested a desire but all this new motive power you will need when you had so much already.

Glad it's an exhibition one, but aren't all the flights to and from the UK with this packed in a crate going to be expensive. :):):)

Andy Y is probably looking forward to doing the BRM article.

• Like 2

Morning Peter, I still have the Carron Road articles in my, must do one day folder, and looking at your plan I do like it, neat compact and lots of operation. I also like the Scottish idea, I really liked my Heljan 26 and 27's on Glen Roy, there so smooth.

Good luck and lets see it up and running.

BTW Penguin Crossing was at DEMU yesterday and its the first time I've seen it. When the Bentley Group bought it, they back dated it to Steam, but the Guy with all the Steam Stock left the Club and its now back as Railfreight and looking good. The only down side was that all the stock was very nicely weathered but NO LOCOS were weathered which sort of disjointed the whole thing a bit.

You must remember the old well worn 50 that used to run on the Layout.

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 083.JPG

attachicon.gifBurton DEMU 2015 May 30th 091.JPG

Hi Andy,

This certainly wont be built as quick as you can build a layout some of us still have to work, lol

It's funny you mention the Heljan 26 and 27, something that stopped me all those years ago was the thought of having to convert a heap of Lima class 33s. I did do two and started a third but thats as far as it went. later on when Lime released a 26 and 27 I was so tempted to get one but by then Llanbourne was in full swing and I didn't have the spare cash, I did pick up a 26 years later when they were going cheap but sold it after it had sat in a box for years. When Heljan released their loco's I couldn't resist as you say they are great runners I pick mine up when they were on sale which I am glad I did as they are going for quite high prices now.

Thanks for posting up the pics of Pengwynn Crossing. It's good to see the layout is still about. I agree about the stock Out of the box loco's don't do it for me. The stock was great back when I saw it. Ok it might have been Lima but it ran pretty good and yes I remember the class 50 a real masterpiece in weathering.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

I really like your idea, the overall plan looks good and flows nicely.

Is that a pic of 112 above at QS? When was it taken 84/ 85???

I shall be keeping an eye on this project - as you know I have a bit of a liking for the Scottish stuff ;)

attachicon.gif37037 1S07 Glasgow QS 1985.jpeg

attachicon.gif37175 at Glasgow QS.jpeg

Cheers

Lee

PS:- after all these years of having the photo of 175, I've just realised there is a bus on the bridge in the background.... oh that'll never do :D

Thanks Lee,

37112 was taken at Queen Street, I will find out the date but it was late 85. The class 37/4s has just started to appear. Thanks for your pics too I will post more of mine as it will help followers to get a feel of what I want to do. Feel free to add some of yours.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

I am both surprised and not surprised you have chosen to do a Scottish layout, your tinkerings with McRats on the other thread suggested a desire but all this new motive power you will need when you had so much already.

Glad it's an exhibition one, but aren't all the flights to and from the UK with this packed in a crate going to be expensive. :) :) :)

Andy Y is probably looking forward to doing the BRM article.

Hi Woodenhead,

I was always going to do a Scottish based layout at some point but being the same time period as Llanbourne I already have most of the stock I need. Loco wise I already have a few 26s 27s and 37s. Llanbourne's 08s 20s 25s and class 47s can be used. I actually think I have less loco's than I did 20 years ago I have just sold off the Lima and replaced it with Bachmann or Hornby. I know I had 12 Lima 37s at one point.

There are a few exhibitions here in the state of Victoria each year but very few British based layouts and even less have diesels. UK viewers will have to settle for pictures or come for a visit. I am always happy to fire up Llanbourne for visitors. :)

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Woodenhead,

I was always going to do a Scottish based layout at some point but being the same time period as Llanbourne I already have most of the stock I need. Loco wise I already have a few 26s 27s and 37s. Llanbourne's 08s 20s 25s and class 47s can be used. I actually think I have less loco's than I did 20 years ago I have just sold off the Lima and replaced it with Bachmann or Hornby. I know I had 12 Lima 37s at one point.

There are a few exhibitions here in the state of Victoria each year but very few British based layouts and even less have diesels. UK viewers will have to settle for pictures or come for a visit. I am always happy to fire up Llanbourne for visitors. :)

Cheers Peter.

I'm BOOKING A FLIGHT, hhahahah

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the loco's that have inspired me to build Mosshill were seen on my first trip to Scotland. A few are pictured below.

Something else I am thinking is locating the layout in the Norther parts of Glasgow as I could run some 37/4s on passenger They could be fill in turns between working the West Highland line trains. other loco hauled trains can turn up on Commuter/ rush hour  trains. These could produce almost any motive power. I remember a train back in 86 used to leave Glasgow at about 16.00 to Perth and almost anything could be on the train. I had 37188 when I went for it, but later that week it was a class 27. It would be nice to replicate some steam leaking from the coaches while they are sat in the station. I might have to have a think about that.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-52160700-1434201546_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-06529600-1434201624_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-24988000-1434201801_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 10

Nice pics Peter, The 27 are such a nice size Loco for almost any Layout, and as for a Large Logo 37, well you just cant go wrong with at least ONE of those beauties.

Thanks Andy,

I had always liked my local class 33s but their is definitely something about the class 26s and 27s. I have just won a 37049 on ebay so now have two split box loco's in the pipeline. One will certainly be 37043 I saw the loco a few times and have always wanted to do a model of it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-55913600-1434278297_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Looking very promising.

Is it going to be electrified so you can run your Class 85?

It could be electrified as part of one of the various suburban electrification schemes.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Peter,

Looking very promising.

Is it going to be electrified so you can run your Class 85?

It could be electrified as part of one of the various suburban electrification schemes.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have thought about that but as a terminus I don't think it will look right. I did think that maybe if I ever decided to extend and have a small fiddle yard on the left I could put up some overhead then. I could run a Strathcylde liv EMU and have the class 85 roll passed on a few vans.

Thoughts?

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning Pete

I'd missed this one until this morning! I like the idea and the track layout and good use of the space with the fiddle roads at the back, similar to Nigel's Melangoose I guess. I look forward to seeing at the New Forest show sometime!

• Like 1

Morning Pete

I'd missed this one until this morning! I like the idea and the track layout and good use of the space with the fiddle roads at the back, similar to Nigel's Melangoose I guess. I look forward to seeing at the New Forest show sometime!

Thanks Ian,

I was only thinking today that I need to get some ply and make up a board so that I can work out the size of the points I need to build.

I am not sure it will ever make it too the New Forest show though if anyone comes out to Oz I can set it up outside and have my own mini exhibition. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Jim,

I have thought about that but as a terminus I don't think it will look right. I did think that maybe if I ever decided to extend and have a small fiddle yard on the left I could put up some overhead then. I could run a Strathcylde liv EMU and have the class 85 roll passed on a few vans.

Thoughts?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I would just electrify it anyway as a few small branch termini in the Greater Glasgow / Strathclyde area were.

Would need a suitable EMU tho - a Cl303 would be ideal!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Peter,

I would just electrify it anyway as a few small branch termini in the Greater Glasgow / Strathclyde area were.

Would need a suitable EMU tho - a Cl303 would be ideal!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have been thinking about the overhead and still not sure if it would look right as I want to run a few loco hauled into the station and if there was overhead it would mean units would serve the station rather than hauled stock.

Having said that a class 303 would be nice, I did buy a Strathclyde Liv 101 to work local services I just love the livery. The class 37 fleet has grown too recently thanks to Jeff  'SRman' and ebay.

Track bits have arrived too thanks to Jinty. Next up is a sheet of ply.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-35101800-1439454323_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-34849100-1439454357_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14464400-1439454461_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cant beat the "Scottish" 37s... :senile: :locomotive:

Looking forward to another update now..

cheers neil.

Thanks Neil,

As you can see I have a few class 37s to do. 37057 will become 37043. 37049 will be 37112 with some mods to the roof, and 37417  will be renumbered 37425.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-87119500-1439456789_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 6