RMweb

New Castle, Florida - initial pictures

Plan is adapted from New Castle Industrial Railroad by Jack Hill and has been re-sited a lot further south - 2 boards 5' x 1' including the built-in sector plate/fiddle yard - it will be 12 volt DC

Track laid - not yet wired - the three-track sector plate can only be aligned with two tracks at any one time - intentionally! and represents the industries further down the line in Jack Hills original design

post-6688-0-74522200-1434294386_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-93225300-1434294408_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-23031600-1434294471_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-85799500-1434294616_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-59166400-1434294742_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-67246900-1434312736_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-03110900-1434294783.jpg

Jack Hill's New Castle Industrial Railroad is a layout I often re-visit for inspiration, so it's great to see your version coming along.

With the addition of a Florida location and FEC power, I can't wait to see your progress.

Great work, Jack!

Looking interesting, is it just the one set of points?

Colin

No, centre track is the main - the front spur feeds off via a turnout as it leaves the fiddle yard - The rear spur is fed from the sector plate and the other spur feeds off as you see!

I have 3 x SW 1500 locos, all have been paint-spotted to change the numbers, but I shall probably use them on this to switch cars from "down the line" - take one lot of cars down and bring another set back from different track on the sector plate - that way I can move cars back up for interchange, apparently using the same loco which will save re-railing the loco at shows

Look`s like your off to a good start,Jack.

Will you be using some sort of card system to switch with?.

Brian.

Every possibility, Brian - I shall probably use cards in the plastic card pockets I got years ago for just that sort of thing - I think they are classed as "trading card holders", and are a suitable size for very readable cards - you can add photos to the car cards and see waybills through them if you want to use them. TBH at a show the punters really want to see something moving, and you can keep shuttling three or fours cars from one place to another - it does mean that if you are talking to a visitor you don't lose track or where you are in a switching sequence

Pity you won't be at TVNAM, Jack - your layout is just at the classic "5 days to go" stage.... :yes:

Agree about switching at Shows - most people don't stay long enough to follow a sequence, or wouldn't particularly follow one if they do. As long as something moves - smoothly & without stalling - that's what's important. It's also nice to have a bit of flexibility for when young kids are watching, & ask Dad what's going to happen next...

"Is it going to get the red wagon, Dad?"....

They're amazed & delighted when the loco does go & get the "red wagon" next..... priceless. ;)

Archived