Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Should we build layouts for us...or for others...

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand the maxim of ensuring the continuation of the hobby.

I model for fun , whether the hobby continues when I'm dead is of no consequence really, I don't feel any sort of crusade about it .

Hi Rob

I am on Team Rob on this one. :friends:

I model whatever has taken my interest be that modern, Br Blue or whatever. I do have one eye on entertainment factor in how I design the layouts as I don't want to create something that is dull to operate and that also usually equates to something that is interesting to watch.

As for producing the next generation of railway modellers, I feel no obligation to do so but do encourage interaction \ exhibits aimed at the youth market for other reasons - commercial necessity for shows. Kids bring parents through the door.

As for trying to build a layout to satisfy an imagined 'youth' preference, how do you determine that? Yes many will like up to date modern trains but many like steam. Many just like watching trains go by counting the 'trucks' Kids are just as fickle & varied as adults and I find many that stand and happily watch my shunting layout just as much as those that will stand mesmerised by New hey and its long rakes of 60s steam or Blackmill and its modern day operations.

As has been debated to death, mainstream exhibitions tend to try and get a balance between scale, gauge, era and format of layout. A bit of something for everyone.

I have absolutely no interest in getting into a debate on this particular issue, but just to say that I totally disagree ..... that's it, that's all ........ you won't change my mind as I won't change yours

Err,

That's fine, but watch your blood pressure......

When I was a teen, in the mid 90's, my favourite layouts were Kyle of Tongue, Nether Stowey, Newcastle Haymarket & Tonbridge West Yard. Three of these layouts are the kind that apparently I shouldn't have enjoyed from what the original post suggested.

On the bigger topic, I do think the 'mad' layouts with flashing lights, multiple movements and the like are required to keep a younger generation interested but then there are experienced builders who enjoy building that kind of layout too. I think a generalisation has been made that suggests that with age comes a want to recreate the prototype whereas some just want to run and exhibit a toyset (for want of a better phrase) or watch trains go by. I know when my Dad and I go to an exhibition now that we will have totally different ideas on what constitutes a good layout from a 'customers' POV. I still enjoy the tranquail and more prototypically run layout whereas he thinks there needs to be lots of movement and things to catch the eye.

I would suggest that an exhibition manager needs to consider the audience and make the show interesting and accessible to all but that layout builders should do what they enjoy.

Archived