The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Chris Squire

DLT

• RMweb Premium

I have just heard the tragic news that Chris Squire of Yes has died.

Co-founder (along with Jon Anderson) of the leading and genre-defining prog-rock band Yes, and one of my all time musical heroes.

Brief report on the Yes official website here: http://www.yesworld.com/

Fuller report from the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33306933

Dave.

Sad news indeed. He helped give Yes a very distinctive sound with his bass playing.

When first released, I remember hearing the Yes album at a mates house one Friday evening. Loved it straightaway and the next day I nipped out at lunchtime from my Saturday job at Fine Fare supermarket to get my own copy. Great album, as were most Yes albums.

RIP Chris

I saw them 10 times but now wish it had been many more.

Chris's extra long version of The Fish at the NEC many years ago has to be one of the moments that will remain with me forever.

(Apologies for starting a new thread. I had not noticed this one at the time).

Shocking news. I have always loved Yes's music and Chris Squire has been my favourite bass player ever since I first got into them. Sadly I never got to hear them play live.

As a long-time Yes fan, I too was shocked by the news. It was not all that long ago we saw (and heard) Yes playing in Melbourne. We were lucky enough to sit two rows back from the stage, on the side that Chris favoured.

He won quite a few fans' admiration when they started dancing in the aisles towards the end of the concert: the ushers at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda started hassling the dancers, telling them to go back to their seats. At the end of the number, Chris commented that he didn't know that it was illegal to dance in Victoria, "So come on down!", he said. I'm not sure what the ushers thought of that, but they gave up the unequal struggle after that!

The music will live on in their records, CDs, DVDs and other media; I'm sure Yes will live on too, although Chris will be hard to replace (they managed it with Jon Anderson, who was often considered irreplaceable, and they managed with and without Rick Wakeman). Chris's distinctive musical style will be sorely missed though.

I like you all was very upset to hear this sad news today. It must the age us 'old rockers' are at where our legends are going to the' big gig in the sky'

I understand that Planet Rock are playing the full 'Yes Album' tonight at 12 am tonight as a tribute  

Archived