BR(W) K40 full brake branding

I'm currently making a model of a K40 full brake in BR(W) carmine, and I'm trying to find out the branding applied to some of these for specific services.

In Kevin Robertson's "Great Western Coaches in Colour", there's two photographs of the Penzance to Paddington postal in 1957. The first coach is W1177W (a K40, even though the text says K38), which had one offset TPO gangway. I'd really like to model this coach, but the photograph is too small to see what the branding on the coach actually says.

On the opposite page in the book there's another photograph of W81W, with what looks to be the same branding, which can be partially read as

?? ??

PADDINGTON

TO

PENZANCE

There's also a photograph of W81W here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37586-collett-k40-passenger-brake-van-tpo-conversion/?p=418815 but again I can't make out the first two words.

Has anyone seen higher resolution photographs of W1177W or W81W and know what the first two words are?

Try Steve at Railtec models. He has made up some sheets for me for the K40 in the past. He would probably be happy to do some alternative numbers and brandings.

The pack for these has been out of stock for a little while pending review, as we think we may be able to improve on what we had. That said, we just haven't had any spare moment to actually sit down and review it! We may just for the short-term resurrect the original pack in its original guise. We're in private dialog with David already anyway. Watch this space...

The Great Western Study Group Pannier no 36, Summer 2015 carries a detailed article on Parcel train branding with an intensive list that runs to 5 pages of tables of individual coach numbers/branding mainly in the 1940's and 50's.

For non members copies can purchased at £3.50 direct + 50p P&P

http://www.gwsg.org.uk/

or from the stand at certain shows including Warley.

1177 listed as 

10.10PM Postal Paddington to Penzance

Note the PM after 10.10 as per Chris's post and 'to' rather than &.

Mike Wiltshire

The Great Western Study Group Pannier no 36, Summer 2015 carries a detailed article on Parcel train branding with an intensive list that runs to 5 pages of tables of individual coach numbers/branding mainly in the 1940's and 50's.

That sounds very useful - I shall send them a cheque for membership today!

Archived