Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Not living in the British Isles, pictures of your own area.

N15class

On 18/12/2021 at 12:32, Ozexpatriate said:

Andy, I've been looking forward to seeing your little slice of paradise looking seasonal - lovely!

(Dry here today, meaning not raining - but a damp fog and overcast all day.)

Your own neck of the woods is not too bad. You have the ever-present Mt. Hood in the background, and some lovely Autumn colours  at that time of year. Here are a couple of photos from not too far away, in Vancouver WA, and one from OMSI, Portland itself in Autumn 2018.

P_20181009_133125_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20181010_131103_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20181011_111636_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SRman said:

You have ... some lovely Autumn colours  at that time of year. Here are a couple of photos from not too far away, in Vancouver WA,

I do love Autumn in the northwest. The view over my back fence in the summer does not look too different from your middle image.

1 hour ago, SRman said:

You have the ever-present Mt. Hood in the background ...

It is hiding a lot lately, which has been very good news for the ski resorts in the last three weeks.

When it is not raining, the local view looks more like this (from a few weeks ago):

image.png.3a12780bb00d7bc947edb053bb4ec1f9.png

The weather forecast (on my telephone in °C ) through the 23rd looks like this:

image.png.6cf5643755ea502d9139eda110264e0d.png

Late on Saturday night, it is very wet. Late night news has footage of snow in the higher spots in town.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/12/2021 at 21:23, SRman said:

You have ... some lovely Autumn colours  at that time of year. 

On 18/12/2021 at 22:50, Ozexpatriate said:

I do love Autumn in the northwest.

I compiled the following in October. The trees are in a local park. Like the rest of us, the trees had a stressful year - with an ice storm in the winter, and record high temperatures in a summer heat wave in the middle of drought conditions, but some of them still put on a display.

image.png.8c63002eb86bc009ee6ed13b4c3da028.png

Image replaced October 29, 2022

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

Came for a visit down to Oregon a few years ago, simply loved the state and wanted to stay longer but work got in the way. Now retired we can and will spend more time there. Then went through Washington and on to Montana.  The bird sanctuary we wanted to visit was closed at the time. We shall have to make another trip when this Covid problem has been resolved. Maybe we will also get the timing right this time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, budgie9 said:

Came for a visit down to Oregon a few years ago, simply loved the state and wanted to stay longer but work got in the way. Now retired we can and will spend more time there. Then went through Washington and on to Montana.  The bird sanctuary we wanted to visit was closed at the time. We shall have to make another trip when this Covid problem has been resolved. Maybe we will also get the timing right this time.

I hope you didn't skip the Idaho panhandle :nono:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pH said:

Blink and you’d miss it! :jester:

Most people did but unfortunately it has recently been "discovered". Real estate here has gone completely bananas. The average age of the vehicles running around used to be about ten years. Now you can hardly move for Teslas, Range-Rovers, MBs, Bentlys and Beemers. There's a house on the market just along the for $18,000,000. It is quite big, but not that big.

A couple who have a fabulous lake-front home about half a mile away bought the two undeveloped lots behind us to build a "guest cottage". By the time it's finished I think they'll have dropped a million bucks on it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I grew up in Portland 1954-62, Spokane 62-63 and Seattle 63-66 at UW but pre-Microsoft,  and it now seems like a dim distant memory as the  world of unabashed greed enveloped the PNW. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

It was the sanctuary you mentioned and we will have to go back again I can see. We hope by the time we get to go again the grounds will have recovered.  We came through Idaho and saw some of those BIG homes that were mentioned. But also a lot of the pot holes in the roads we were trying to avoid in the RV were were travelling in.  Mainly on the 13.   The other roads we used in Idaho,  if I recall correctly were 95, and 12 across to Missoula, the latter being an interesting road to drive with an RV.  We often stop at a campground in Lolo just outside Missoula and that was where we were heading that time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sixteen inches of snow and it's still coming down. It's supposed to brighten-up a bit tomorrow. If It does I'll put on my snow-shoes and try to take a few pics.

It's going to be unusually cold here tomorrow night - more typical of Montana temperatures. The good news is the snow is like powder and quite easy to move around.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One of the few advantages of living in California these days is that the snow when it falls, falls in the mountains.  If you want winter, you have to drive the 120 miles east and carry tire chains.  The exception for me is Mt. Diablo. The summit is about 6 miles south east from my suburban town house and about 3600 feet higher (3849 ft. elev.) which had a light dusting this past week in the storm that dumped 16 feet of snow at Donner Summit. The Snows of Mount Diablo didn't last more than a few days. The California Park Service (it's a state park) closes the summit when it snows due to the car crush by parents rushing to show 2 to 4 year old's their first experience with snow. 

Anyway, the remaining deciduous foliage is fast falling here in the suburbs east of San Francisco Bay. This is my view to the west (the mountain is SE and cannot be seen from my house.) The outside temperature is about 2-3 degrees Celsius.  The peak in the center background is called Round Top. It is in the Berkeley-Oakland Hills and is 1754 feet in elevation. Just beyond those hills is the city of Oakland and San Francisco Bay.

433519873_December302021viewofBHRoundtop.jpg.7541b5121e6919bc5ec753621a2347b0.jpg

Edited by autocoach
clarity
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

It finally stopped snowing. A couple of pics in our neighborhood today.

DSCN5282.JPG.b9ff0ec735eb0d90fa355a8c2b68bd43.JPG

DSCN5284.JPG.1e556acf82e53b71fe3e695edeffeb09.JPG

I tried wearing snowshoes but it was a waste of time. The snow is so light and fluffy the snowshoes sank all the way down.

Happy New Year!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday (Saturday) we went to the first Victorian British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) meeting at Gheringhap for two years. Our hosts have traditionally held this meeting, combined with a barbecue and lovely desserts, for many years on the Australia Day weekend, or the weekend closest to Australia Day (26th January). We usually combine with other members to car pool, and our friend Roger offered to drive SWMBO and me there, choosing to take a scenic route, rather than the busy and congested Melbourne - Geelong road, so we went through Bacchus Marsh, then cut across country on lovely quiet rural roads, travelling behind the You-Yang range, which is also visible from the more usual Geelong Road route. I only took a few photos for this, but these will show how peaceful this route was.

I will have to split the photos over a few posts as there is more to come.

IMG20220122130931.jpg

IMG20220122130933.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 9

Continuing from the last post, this was that same stretch of road, directly ahead of us. Temperature was a rather uncomfortable 32 deg. C.

IMG20220122130936.jpg.98124867be9b8d2be329ee2fbbf1d0b1.jpg

Last week, my wife and I travelled up to Echuca, on the Victoria/New South Wales border, to stay with friends and celebrate the daughter's birthday (we are honorary grandparents). We detoured through Colbinabbin, where there is some great artwork on some silos there.

IMG20220114143000.jpg.7503076eb438567f236517def05f398a.jpg

IMG20220114143035.jpg.1cde90a4127ad6f7c8026c6ed940a145.jpg

More to come.

• Like 11

Continuing the road trip to Echuca, a few random road shots follow. The scenery is subtly different to that we usually see from the Northern Highway we usually follow - we are travelling on a roughly parallel route around 10km to the east of that. Lots of pastoral land to to the east, which was very flat (last two photos), and some hilly country to the west - the car is pointing roughly north.

p.s. The wife was driving at this point!

IMG20220114144510.jpg.70075a53d39c593880dec52212af3da4.jpg

IMG20220114144553.jpg.e83f6005546e51d3c36d39a3f2cacc66.jpg

IMG20220114144544.jpg.476229bca8ab95a5369889b1ca9d4727.jpg

IMG20220114144810_BURST000_COVER.jpg.20b4a842de36426d1c0e4344eab9e685.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

From my recent trip to Echuca (pics posted earlier), we had decided to go home via Kyabram, Rushworth and Nagambie, i.e. not the most direct way. Rushworth is a small country town with a National Trust listed historic area. Here is a video I have cobbled together from my dash cam footage. There is a slight break where we stopped at the bakery for lunch, and SWMBO took over the driving. She is a bit more hesitant than I am, and also doesn't follow map directions at all well, hence we headed out of town in the wrong direction initially, before going around the block to go the right way. We had chosen the most direct route to follow to Nagambie - while being the shortest route, it includes some gravel roads so is slower for travel speeds, ending up taking about the same time as the longer but more "civilised" route. I like a bit of country driving though. ^_^

Edited by SRman
  • Like 6

My better half and I had a walk along a nearby mountain track yesterday, here’s a couple of views that she took for me.

Peloponnese 2022

If you zoom in, you can still see snow on the distant mountains.

Peloponnese 2022

Turning around 90 degrees to the north, Prophet Illias is the “hump” near the centre left of the picture, the distant hills are covered with wind turbines.

Peloponnese 2022

Turning again, just more distant mountains and somewhere in the valley is my property!

It was cool in the shade but a balmy 16C in the sun.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, SRman said:

From my recent trip to Echuca (pics posted earlier), we had decided to go home via Kyabram, Rushworth and Nagambie, i.e. not the most direct way. Rushworth is a small country town with a National Trust listed historic area. Here is a video I have cobbled together from my dash cam footage. There is a slight break where we stopped at the bakery for lunch, and SWMBO took over the driving. She is a bit more hesitant than I am, and also doesn't follow map directions at all well, hence we headed out of town in the wrong direction initially, before going around the block to go the right way. We had chosen the most direct route to follow to Nagambie - while being the shortest route, it includes some gravel roads so is slower for travel speeds, ending up taking about the same time as the longer but more "civilised" route. I like a bit of country driving though. ^_^

Noticing your clean windscreen despite a country drive.

Used to be that you couldnt drive anywhere without your windscreen  and bonnet  getting completely coated in bugs. I haven't washed my car in months and I have less residual bug buildup than i used to get in one week just driving around town. I used to have to scrub them off but now even my yellow ute which shows every single dark spot on it is unblemished.   Is it just me or is this a  new worrying thing?

If its a thing then  I guess the bloke who makes those mesh radiator screens to keep the bugs out must be getting worried. Although, come to think of it I haven't seen one of those fitted to a vehicle in ages either. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Noticing your clean windscreen despite a country drive.

Used to be that you couldnt drive anywhere without your windscreen  and bonnet  getting completely coated in bugs. I haven't washed my car in months and I have less residual bug buildup than i used to get in one week just driving around town. I used to have to scrub them off but now even my yellow ute which shows every single dark spot on it is unblemished.   Is it just me or is this a  new worrying thing?

If its a thing then  I guess the bloke who makes those mesh radiator screens to keep the bugs out must be getting worried. Although, come to think of it I haven't seen one of those fitted to a vehicle in ages either. 

I had to clean the windscreen when I filled up with petrol, before we set off, because of accumulated insect splatters even just driving around Echuca, with the other excursions we did. After the dirt road running, the back end of the car was coated, though. I put it through the car wash when we got back to Melbourne.

• Like 1